The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 27, 2008, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Phoenix AZ Umpires

I was in Phoenix over the week end and read in the paper that the High School State Tournament was starting. There was a game a few miles from my condo. and I decided to take in part of the game. Two man crew and I could tell they were quite competent. However is it a common practice for the crew to get together between the first and second base line each time the side is retired? Is it a common practice not to give signals for rotations, infield fly, time play etc? Mind you while I was there they did not miss any rotations. I was surprised how little communication took place between them while the game was going on. I was also surprised to see players out of the dugout while the ball was live. In all fairness the game was going on and perhaps they just didn't see this occurring.

Also I was relieved to observe that Coaches are stupid here as well. Pick off attempt at first. The whole world can see the runner easily beat the throw. Here comes the defensive Coach questioning the call. Incidentally he's in the third base dugout perhaps a good 150 feet away.
Old Sun Apr 27, 2008, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

For the most part I agree on the communication. But one guy I work with regularly, we rarely communicate--we know each other so well, just a glance and a nod, we know know what is meant. So we communicated, you just weren't aware of it. Players on the field--no excuse. Stupid coach? Ah, well, that's life.
Old Mon Apr 28, 2008, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
For the most part I agree on the communication. But one guy I work with regularly, we rarely communicate--we know each other so well, just a glance and a nod, we know know what is meant. So we communicated, you just weren't aware of it.
I have a few partners I've worked so much we can just make eye contact and know w/o signals. This takes the highest degree of trust and respect, both ways. When working with 90% of other guys I over communicate.

As for getting together, this is a no-no between every half. If something needs to be said then fine, but every half inning...