The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 23, 2008, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

How do deal with these

Both of these sitchs have mentioned as asides to bigger threads but i would like some ops in handling them wihout making a big deal out of it, as they could be considered super technical.

1. F3 or F5 setup with runners with a foot in foul territory. rules say must be in in the lines but do we really penalize? is this ticky tack to call attention to it?

2. pitcher in stretch has foot 1/2 off the rubber. When i ask my various partners i am told they don't worry about it considering the crappy mounds and big holes. So i have been quietly (only he hears me) reminding pitchers to get the whole foot on the rubber, and i just keep reminding when they don't.

I suppose there are other small rules commonly ignored, but if you ignore these rules that appear to not have an impact on the game, whats to say then as a coach "you ignored this rule, so you should ignore that rule" which may actually have an impact on the game. We should not ignore a rule because its silly or inconsequential but i think it happens often...why?
Old Wed Apr 23, 2008, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastump
Both of these sitchs have mentioned as asides to bigger threads but i would like some ops in handling them wihout making a big deal out of it, as they could be considered super technical.

1. F3 or F5 setup with runners with a foot in foul territory. rules say must be in in the lines but do we really penalize? is this ticky tack to call attention to it?

2. pitcher in stretch has foot 1/2 off the rubber. When i ask my various partners i am told they don't worry about it considering the crappy mounds and big holes. So i have been quietly (only he hears me) reminding pitchers to get the whole foot on the rubber, and i just keep reminding when they don't.

I suppose there are other small rules commonly ignored, but if you ignore these rules that appear to not have an impact on the game, whats to say then as a coach "you ignored this rule, so you should ignore that rule" which may actually have an impact on the game. We should not ignore a rule because its silly or inconsequential but i think it happens often...why?
1. If the rule said there was a penalty for this then you could enforce it however, seeing how there is none, don't proceed with the game untill all the players satisfy the rule. Not ignored.

2. If the pitcher has his foot 1/2 off, this means he also has it 1/2 on. Which means he is in contact with the rubber and has satisfied the rule.

So there were no rules ignored here, you can feel better now.
Old Wed Apr 23, 2008, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastump

Sitch 1 depends on rule set, FED vs. OBR. In FED one foot in is legal, in OBR both feet in is legal. Penalties vary. Best thing is to not be OOO unless the other team complains and then require one foot in for FED and both feet in for OBR. I have never had a complaint from opposing coach about this.

Sitch 2 requires pitcher to have pivot foot in front of the rubber so half off is technically a balk but I have never seen this one called either.

It's not so much ignoring rules as it is understanding why they exist. If F3 is not gaining an advantage by having one foot out (in OBR) or if pitcher is not gaining an advantage by having part of his foot outside the rubber then ....

No coach with any common sense is going to come out and pick nits with you. It's not in his best interests because his team is likey guilty of some nits also.