The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 14, 2008, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Joe Morgan at it again....

Yankees Red Sox on Sunday. A wacker at first runner called safe (replays showed at least to me call could have gone either way) Joe, "looks like a tie. Throw has to beat the runner" while true he goes on to say "ties go to the runner". He has to be stopped. Someone please stop him.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2008, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
I noticed he has been better of late. A ball was very close to hitting a batter's foot, and he said "tough to tell on the replay if it grazed him, and there is no way the umpire would be able to see what we can't even see in slo-mo".

But yes, he still does need to be stopped.
Old Tue Apr 15, 2008, 06:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon30307
Yankees Red Sox on Sunday. A wacker at first runner called safe (replays showed at least to me call could have gone either way) Joe, "looks like a tie. Throw has to beat the runner" while true he goes on to say "ties go to the runner". He has to be stopped. Someone please stop him.
Who does he think he is - Tim McCarver? Well, maybe.
Old Tue Apr 15, 2008, 06:46am
Official Forum Member

As frustrating as JM is, it's not really an umpire issue. Would you feel more satisfaction posting here: http://www.firejoemorgan.com/?
Old Tue Apr 15, 2008, 06:50am
Official Forum Member

When ever I have to watch a Red Sox game and Joe Morgan or Tim McCarver are the announcers, I turn down the sound and turn on the radio. I have to deal with a delay (AM radio and satellite TV) but I can deal with that. I cannot stand either commentator! Not because they make stupid, un-informed remarks, it's that they never shut up!
Old Tue Apr 15, 2008, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

I'm an Orioles fan (gluton for punishment) and watch/DVR every O's game and many Nationals games from MASN. This weekend the O's catch someone stealing, might have been Upton, and Jim Palmer starts talking about how the umpire was out of position... grrrr

Palmer is so ridiculous, he's announcing for the O's and complains about a call that goes their way....

The game before he said something ignorant when Joe West called the O's pitcher for going to his mouth and correctly awarded a ball, Palmer was talking about a balk. Palmer as a pitcher should know this...

They need to send announcers to an umpire boot camp for terminology, basic rules and to bust the myths they perpetuate.
Old Tue Apr 15, 2008, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Ump
The game before he said something ignorant when Joe West called the O's pitcher for going to his mouth and correctly awarded a ball, Palmer was talking about a balk. Palmer as a pitcher should know this...
That's precisely why he doesn't know it; he's an idiot. As one catcher once told me when referring to his pitcher after the pitcher kept shaking off signs: "God! Pitchers are the dumbest guys on the field!"
Old Tue Apr 15, 2008, 11:06am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25
That's precisely why he doesn't know it; he's an idiot. As one catcher once told me when referring to his pitcher after the pitcher kept shaking off signs: "God! Pitchers are the dumbest guys on the field!"
As a former catcher, I completely agree with this.
Old Tue Apr 15, 2008, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Even baseball movies reflect that F2 and F1 are at opposite ends of the IQ spectrum.
Old Tue Apr 15, 2008, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Rule 7.01 A runner acquires the right to an unoccupied base when he touches it before he is out.

The runner has to beat the ball. There are no ties, runner was out.
Old Tue Apr 15, 2008, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
Even baseball movies reflect that F2 and F1 are at opposite ends of the IQ spectrum.
While I agree that F2 is the defensive battery leader in many cases there are clearly exceptions. Can you imagine Maddux's catcher being more cerebral? That's just an example to illustrate. As for movies, how about "For Love of the Game". Costner was certainly the star of this movie as the opposite end of the battery from Bull Durham

Last edited by DG; Tue Apr 15, 2008 at 11:33pm.
Old Wed Apr 16, 2008, 12:55am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
While I agree that F2 is the defensive battery leader in many cases there are clearly exceptions. Can you imagine Maddux's catcher being more cerebral? That's just an example to illustrate. As for movies, how about "For Love of the Game". Costner was certainly the star of this movie as the opposite end of the battery from Bull Durham
No glory for the catchers.
Old Wed Apr 16, 2008, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
Glad you agree with me.
Old Wed Apr 16, 2008, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Throw has to beat the runner" while true he goes on to say "ties go to the runner".

Nope. Just the opposite. Runner has to beat the throw. Otherwise, "Tie goes to the runner" would be true.

Bob
Old Fri Apr 18, 2008, 01:21am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCJB Ump
Rule 7.01 A runner acquires the right to an unoccupied base when he touches it before he is out.

The runner has to beat the ball. There are no ties, runner was out.
This same discussion always boils down to these two seemingly conflicting rules, the one you cited, 7.01, and 6.05(j) which states: After a third strike or after he hits a fair ball, he or first base is tagged before he touches first base.

This always lends bit of credence to the absurd notion that a tie goes to the runner, because of its ambiguity.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25