The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 14, 2008, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Hello, spring? Are you there? You there, spring?

OK, just a brief (I hope) rant: I am SO sick of this crappy weather! Just when one thought springs couldn't be any worse than 2007's, along comes 2008. Roughly 40% or more of my games have been lost due to weather thus far, and I have yet to wear just a short-sleeved shirt on the bases. I came close, but it was a bit cool with the winds. I also have yet to work more than 3 days in a row because rain/snow wipes out the next day or two. I've worked 3 days consecutively only once in the last 30 days. My first week of the season I had games scheduled Tuesday through Saturday. I worked only on the Thursday, having been wiped out that Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday.

I lost count on how many times I've done games with the wind chill in the 30s or 20s. I'm just tired of freezing my @ss off this "spring." I'll tell ya, Texas (where my brother lives) is looking more and more appealing every day. I got my Texas teaching certificate in December, and I'm beginning to feel like the weather here in the Chicago area just might get me to move for good.

Ugh! This cold sucks. Thankfully, this week sees a major pattern change for us. How long that will truly last is anybody's guess. Chicago is 9 days short of its all-time record for going the longest without recording a high temp of 70* or more. It's been something like 180 days since our last 70--the longest stretch in 24 years.

Where's this so-called "global warming" Al Gore's been babbling about? It ain't around here, that's for sure!

OK, end of useless rant. Back to my Prozac.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2008, 10:39am
Archaic Power Monger

Would this be a bad time to mention this weekend's temps were in the mid 80's here?

I'm sorry, the weather in the midwest and east sounds like it has been horrible this year. Hopefully you can salvage some of your season.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2008, 10:52am
Do not give a damn!!

I guess you are going to have to move, because this is the way it has been and is probably going to be for awhile.

Also the theory on Global Warming does not mean that we are being harmed right now at this minute or that the temperature is affecting all parts of the world equally at this time and at this minute. I have never been a fanatic for the Global Warming point of view and I think a lot of the issues are overblown and some of the affects are normal. But having said that, were you complaining the last couple of years when we worked almost every day and it almost never rained? I will say that it was cold, but it has always been cold early in the season of March and April. That is why I hardly work in that time in the first place.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 14, 2008, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
...but it has always been cold early in the season of March and April.
You don't remember back that far then, do you? When I was younger, I distinctly recall that our springs were more springlike. We didn't have nearly as many cold days stretch so far into the season. Rarely did we get snow in late March or April. Now, March and most of April around here are pretty much a wash. These two months are crappy when it comes to weather. It wasn't always like that.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2008, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

I hear ya.

I'm in central Illinois, and thought I've only worked a handful of games (out of the 20 or so I had scheduled) due to the weather. We have received a record amount of precipitation so the grounds are just saturated right now. It sucks.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2008, 12:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25
You don't remember back that far then, do you? When I was younger, I distinctly recall that our springs were more springlike. We didn't have nearly as many cold days stretch so far into the season. Rarely did we get snow in late March or April. Now, March and most of April around here are pretty much a wash. These two months are crappy when it comes to weather. It wasn't always like that.
Based on what I know about you, you are much older.

I remember times when I was in HS where we barely played any games because of rain and it was really hot and cold over the spring. And I do remember snow in March. Also the year before it snowed like twice where there snow actually stayed on the ground all winter and that trend went into spring. And as someone that works another sport and has to drive, last year was great from a weather point of view. And it has snowed in March and April in the past. I do remember springs very similar. I should know because my childhood home’s basement used to get flooded for years as a result of the precipitation. It just is rare to have all the snow late in the year. Then again it is not the snow in March and April that has wiped out many of the games around here. Maybe up north there has been a little more snow, but not where I am located.

Oh well, that is why I only expect to work half of my baseball games in the first place. For a couple of years, that has not been the case where you hardly get a day off because it is so dry. Now Mother Nature has come back around.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 14, 2008, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jxt127
Be happy. We still have snow on our fields.

It also snowed briefly this weekend. Opening day is still a month away.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2008, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
OK, just a brief (I hope) rant: I am SO sick of this crappy weather! Just when one thought springs couldn't be any worse than 2007's, along comes 2008. Roughly 40% or more of my games have been lost due to weather thus far, and I have yet to wear just a short-sleeved shirt on the bases. I came close, but it was a bit cool with the winds. I also have yet to work more than 3 days in a row because rain/snow wipes out the next day or two. I've worked 3 days consecutively only once in the last 30 days. My first week of the season I had games scheduled Tuesday through Saturday. I worked only on the Thursday, having been wiped out that Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday.

I lost count on how many times I've done games with the wind chill in the 30s or 20s. I'm just tired of freezing my @ss off this "spring." I'll tell ya, Texas (where my brother lives) is looking more and more appealing every day. I got my Texas teaching certificate in December, and I'm beginning to feel like the weather here in the Chicago area just might get me to move for good.

Ugh! This cold sucks. Thankfully, this week sees a major pattern change for us. How long that will truly last is anybody's guess. Chicago is 9 days short of its all-time record for going the longest without recording a high temp of 70* or more. It's been something like 180 days since our last 70--the longest stretch in 24 years.

Where's this so-called "global warming" Al Gore's been babbling about? It ain't around here, that's for sure!

OK, end of useless rant. Back to my Prozac.
That's why I moved from Chicago to Southern California in August, 1963. It's in the 80s in my area (High Desert).

The global warming is in the Artic and Antarctic areas. Polar bears are endangered because the ice is melting and breaking up, leaving the bears with fewer places to breed. No matter what Dubya and his ilk say.

Bob

Last edited by bluezebra; Mon Apr 14, 2008 at 07:45pm.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2008, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Puhleeze! Let's not turn this into a political argument over the mythological idea of global warming. Absent a volcanic eruption along the lines of Krakatoa, the only thing capable of affecting the climate on a global scale is the sun, and not Man. Considering we're now at the very beginning of a new solar cycle, don't be surprised if our climate begins another wacky period.

BTW, you ARE aware, aren't you, that there were palm trees in the arctic regions roughly 1 million years ago. Thought so.

Back to topic...

I wonder how many people realize that approximately every 10,000 years, the earth's axis changes to its opposite. Obviously, this means that it's not constant, and that it shifts ever so slightly during these 10,000 years, very slowly creeping toward its opposite end. What this means is that whereas now the Northern Hemisphere experiences spring and summer every March and June, respectively, this is only temporary. Sometime in the not too distant future, our summer here will begin around December 21st and winters around June 21st. It ought to be interesting to see what sports schedules are like then.

Last edited by UMP25; Mon Apr 14, 2008 at 08:15pm.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2008, 08:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

With all due respect you introduced the politics of this issue by commenting on what Al Gore thinks about Global Warming. And you have made it clear in the past your opinions on certain political issues here and other places based on your political point of view. Now I personally do not have a problem with any political point of view, I like those kinds of conversations. But you cannot play the high road part when this post was referenced a political point of view.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 14, 2008, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Puhleeze! Let's not turn this into a political argument over the mythological idea of global warming. Absent a volcanic eruption along the lines of Krakatoa, the only thing capable of affecting the climate on a global scale is the sun, and not Man. Considering we're now at the very beginning of a new solar cycle, don't be surprised if our climate begins another wacky period.

BTW, you ARE aware, aren't you, that there were palm trees in the arctic regions roughly 1 million years ago. Thought so.

Back to topic...

I wonder how many people realize that approximately every 10,000 years, the earth's axis changes to its opposite. Obviously, this means that it's not constant, and that it shifts ever so slightly during these 10,000 years, very slowly creeping toward its opposite end. What this means is that whereas now the Northern Hemisphere experiences spring and summer every March and June, respectively, this is only temporary. Sometime in the not too distant future, our summer here will begin around December 21st and winters around June 21st. It ought to be interesting to see what sports schedules are like then.

Axis doesn't shift. Magnetic poles reverse themselves periodically Magnetic north become magnetic south and vice versa. Continental drift is what occurs. Contintents are moving. All you have to do is look at a map of the earth and this is quite evident. At one tim e all of the Continents were joined as one super continent. Geologists called this continent Pangea.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2008, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

I know what Pangea is; and the earth's axis does, indeed shift. This is what causes the seasons to be reversed. The poles' magnetism doesn't cause the earth's tilt to adjust every 10,000 years, which in turn reverses the seasons.

Perhaps you missed that National Geographic special.
Closed Thread