The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 16, 2002, 03:28am
Official Forum Member

When one of my daughters was playing Fed. ball, I refused to go to her games... I didn't like the way the fans, players, or coaches behaved and/or treated the Umpires...
Now I'm about to start my 2nd season as an Ump... Is it the new experience of officiating, am I just glad basketball season is over, or is my memory slipping and I can't remember much after 9 months has past???? In any case, I'm a week away from my first assignment and I'm looking forward to it!
Question: I have heard many of you talk about plate caps that are adjustable in size... Where can you get them? Mail order or otherwise... The sporting good shops I frequent don't have much in the way of softball gear... The only caps they sell usually have a big patch on the front that says something like "Pro Bass Shop", "Cabelas".... Gloves are made of Gor-Tex.... The ball-like devices are call strike indicators, and most of the good swinging hardware is over 8 ft. long....... Any recomendations?

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he could be gone every weekend.
Old Sat Feb 16, 2002, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

Yo, Other Chuck,
I don't think you've heard any of us talking about using adjustable plate hats. All umpires should be wearing fitted hats - for plate and bases. Some are using the 2-stitch beanie, but most are wearing the 4-stitch and a few are using th 6-stitch combo on the plate. And most are usin the 8-stitch on the bases. All these hats are wool. ASA has a fitted mesh 8-stitch that really looks good, too - I have not been able to find the fitted mesh from anyone other than ASA, so I can't find a plain version of it - if anyone knows where I can, holler. Honigs, Lesters, Gerry Davis and others are all mail/phone/web order places and do very well wih customer service. Since you're doing Fed ball, your state may have an official supplier that you have to use - Pennsylvania does and Mike (the owner) is one of the best folks you could possbly deal with.

As for the treatment we get as umpires, that will get better from players and coaches as your skills and appearnce improve - comes with having a "command presence" and getting better game management skills. And you'll find that shutting out what the fans say gets to be pretty easy.
Old Sat Feb 16, 2002, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve M
Yo, Other Chuck,
As for the treatment we get as umpires, that will get better from players and coaches as your skills and appearnce improve - comes with having a "command presence" and getting better game management skills. And you'll find that shutting out what the fans say gets to be pretty easy.
Thanks Steve for the info on the caps... I hadn't seen them before and thought I might have been missing out on something.... I fought that mask/cap issue all season last year... I hope before the end of this season I'll have resolved the problem or at least fine tuned it a bit.
Last season, several of the softball coaches had known me from basketball and knew I was a first season wannabe... They were very helpful and kind... I'm expecting a little tougher season this year, since I "know" that they "know" that they have suckered me in for a second time...
"Command Presence" eh??? Are you saying that maybe I should leave the white cane in my car before entering the field?
I'm looking forward to some more good info on this forum. Have a good season all....

Old Sat Feb 16, 2002, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Command presence - yes, definitely leave the white cane in the car. But make sure your seeing eye dog is the biggest and meanest one you can find. I've found that the bigger & meaner they are, the fewer coaches come out to question something. ROFLMAO
Old Sat Feb 16, 2002, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

"I didn't like the way the fans, players, or coaches behaved and/or treated the Umpires..."

If an umpire allows this type of behavior, he/she deserves it. Are the umpires in your area gutless, and/or can't control players and coaches?

Bob
Old Sat Feb 16, 2002, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
[BIf an umpire allows this type of behavior, he/she deserves it. Are the umpires in your area gutless, and/or can't control players and coaches?

Bob
[/B]
Bob.... I suppose I wouldn't be the one to ask as my experience is 1 season short of a goose egg.... But it seems to me, there just aren't the intermediate tools to deal with misbehavior that we have in basketball.... Like the "Technical Foul".
Go to the basketball forum... T's are used quite often. Players and coaches are often seatbelted to the bench and worse..
In basketball I have excused fans, players, & coaches from a contest... But in softball, so far, I haven't... nor have I seen that happen with anyone.... I haven't even seen it discussed in this forum...
When I attended softball early on as a parent, I would ask the umpires why they put up with it... They just shrugged and said that was the way it was... And some of the umpires were even basketball refereeing buddies of mine... and they would never have put up with on basketball court...
OK I'm going to show my ignorance with this next blurb... In baseball... When the Coach.... Manager... whatever they call them... comes out to argue with the plate umpire and kicks dirt on the umpire's shoes... And the umpire lets it go.... Inexcusable!
Too me... it just seemed to be the norm...
Thank goodness it hasn't happened to me.... yet I'm not sure what I would do...
So.... As long as we're on this subject how do some of you handle bad behavior when it occurs???
I'll assume that it will take a bit longer to develope that Command Presence by giving out Yellow/Red cards or calling a "T"...

Old Sun Feb 17, 2002, 07:22am
Official Forum Member

Chuck......if you have succesfully navigated the basketball court.......you can handle a softball field......

I have said it numerous times.......Idiot Basketball fan beats any other set of fans out there......but personally......I try not to pay attention to the fans......I hear what they are saying, but try not to let it bother me...

As for coaches that are getting out of line........there is usually a line of progression.......I have never had a coach just explode in a game.......they usually build up to "excusing themselves from the game" gradually....

A well placed LOOK (If you have kids....you know the look), a "Knock it off Coach", give the stop sign and tell em' "that's enough" has always worked well for me (this is final.....if they still continue.....dump em).....

Your an experienced official and you can expect some chirping from the coaches......but let them know when they are getting close to your limit.......most times it will quiet down from there......

Last year in an 18U tournament game.......I was BU and had a couple of bangers at first in a half inning.........one was a safe and one was an out call......

After the 2nd one I was brushing the base and the 1st base coach sarcasticly commented that the 2nd was a good "Makeup call".....

I quietly asked him if he was implying that I was cheating? This was an experienced 18U coach and he knew immediately that he had crossed the line with his comment and just about fell all over himself backpeddling and letting me know that he did not mean anything by the comment.

I did not hear a peep from him the rest of the game......he even approached me and partner after the game to let us know he thought we did a good job.....

Here is a link to a piece on game management.........I liked it so much, I put it on my website.....

The author (T. Alan Christensen) also refereed college basketball for many years........if you have problems accessing it......let me know......

http://www.eteamz.com/admin/sitez/do...195&site=56753

Joel

Old Sun Feb 17, 2002, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gulf Coast Blue

As for coaches that are getting out of line........there is usually a line of progression.......I have never had a coach just explode in a game.......they usually build up to "excusing themselves from the game" gradually....

A well placed LOOK (If you have kids....you know the look), a "Knock it off Coach", give the stop sign and tell em' "that's enough" has always worked well for me (this is final.....if they still continue.....dump em).....

Your an experienced official and you can expect some chirping from the coaches......but let them know when they are getting close to your limit.......most times it will quiet down from there......

Here is a link to a piece on game management.........I liked it so much, I put it on my website.....

The author (T. Alan Christensen) also refereed college basketball for many years........if you have problems accessing it......let me know......

http://www.eteamz.com/admin/sitez/do...195&site=56753

Joel

Nice article... Thanks Joel!