The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 28, 2008, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

USSSA Coach Pitch Rules

We just started with USSSA, and I am tasked with pitching duties, and I have questions.

What are the rules regarding where to pitch from? Must I start from the 45' rubber? (Then why the line from the plate that must be straddled or have a foot on?)

The big question really is, must a remain in contact with the rubber? Or can I move closer to the plate/batter to deliver the pitch?

(We have a player that is all of 3 1/2 foot tall, and he has an ittty bitty strike zone, so getting closer is better for both of us)

Seems basic, but all of us in our town are new to this, and thought this forum could probably give us the answer.

Thanks Guys!
Old Fri Mar 28, 2008, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

I have seen this

I read pretty well, and I do not see where they explain what are the boundaries of the coach is that is pitching other than the pitching line. I assume this line is perpendicular to the front edge of the plate, so can I move closer and farther up and down that line as I choose?

D Pitcher’s Line: A line drawn from the pitcher’s circle to the fair ball arc.
8.07.D.1 The pitching coach must keep one foot on or straddle the pitcher’s line.
8.07.D.2 The pitching coach cannot coach while in the pitching position, either verbally or physically.
8.07.D.3 The pitching coach must position himself as not to be an obstruction to the defensive team
on any possible play once the ball has been hit.
Rule 8.07.D Penalty: If a coach violates this rule before the ball is pitched, first (1st) offense: Warning;
second (2nd) offense: Removal of coach as the pitcher for the remainder of the game.
Rule 8.07.D Additional Penalty: If a coach violates this rule after the ball is pitched, obstruction will be
called.