The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Does anybody know if there is a restriction on how many times a pitcher make fake the pitch before actually pitching? I vaguely remember reading (but can't prove it) that they can fake up to three times before releasing the pitch. This has not come up during a game in this area as most guys also play ASA, so that is the rule they pitch too. Some of the antics I have seen a good USSSA pitcher use are just plain funny. A couple of my favorites moves are the pretend bug swat and pitch move, or the request for the count pitch move. Of course the behind-the-back and between the legs are also good moves.

Thanks
Bob
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 02:12am
Official Forum Member

I heard the circus will be in town next week also......
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to chiquita
Smile

I do not allow the "fake pitch". The pitcher has 5 seconds from the time he/she has the ball to pitch. He also must "present" the ball for atleast one second before starting the delivery. I don't believe they have enough time to "represent" before each fake and still be withing the 5 seconds. Plus I refuse to ump a game that looks like the "Harlem Globetrotters" are playing......
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

I know very little about the USSSA slow pitch rules. But, I am wondering if you are confusing the ASA 16" slow pitch rules, which limit the "hesitations" to three attempts.
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you Steve, that is exactly where I saw that rule.
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 04:48pm
Ref Ump Welsch

USSSA requires the release on the third movement, in other words 2 fakes then the pitch.
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

I must disagree. It is rule 6.4A-G and note. The pitcher must present the ball, then start his motion. He must face the plate and have a pivot foot on the rubber. He must deliver within 5 seconds of starting his motion. The note specifically states the pitcher should be encouraged to have fun with it because ultimately, the ball is coming slowly and you're not going to fool the batter. Let them do what they want, as long as it's under 5 sdeconds.
Old Thu Jun 30, 2005, 03:47pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by JLMatthew
I must disagree. It is rule 6.4A-G and note. The pitcher must present the ball, then start his motion. He must face the plate and have a pivot foot on the rubber. He must deliver within 5 seconds of starting his motion. The note specifically states the pitcher should be encouraged to have fun with it because ultimately, the ball is coming slowly and you're not going to fool the batter. Let them do what they want, as long as it's under 5 sdeconds.
Who do you disagree with?
Old Fri Jul 08, 2005, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

"USSSA requires the release on the third movement, in other words 2 fakes then the pitch."

I disagree with that statement. U-trip has no limitations on the amount of fakes. Peace.
Old Fri Jul 08, 2005, 05:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JLMatthew
"USSSA requires the release on the third movement, in other words 2 fakes then the pitch."

I disagree with that statement. U-trip has no limitations on the amount of fakes. Peace.
Can someone please tell me where to find the rules regarding the "fakes"?
Old Fri Jul 08, 2005, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

U Trip has no such "fake" rule.Also if you're enforcing a 5 second rule I can guarantee a long night of *****ing from the players.
Old Fri Jul 08, 2005, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LIIRISHMAN
U Trip has no such "fake" rule.Also if you're enforcing a 5 second rule I can guarantee a long night of *****ing from the players.
That is my point I guess.... If have never heard or read of this 2 or 3 fakes allowed, so what is everyone talking about? Is this a local league thing?

Thanks