The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 01, 2003, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

We are looking to update our rules for "coach pitch" baseball and softball. If anyone has a good suggestion of a set of rules or a site, please advise.

Steve
Old Thu Oct 02, 2003, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

I dont know of any "sanctioned coach pitch rules" per se, but what is used in my locale is a variant of ASA, and Dixie, or LL rules. The game is played as "T" ball, with some changes. We use in our area recreation employees as umpires, so I only have firsthand knowledge from a few years ago, and also from my daughter who worked rec this year.

The rules should be as few and as simple as possible, geared to the age level of the kids. I would suggest leaving what worked alone, and revising what didn't promote teaching, and sportsmanship. If any way possible, parents/fans should be allowed to watch only from a 500 foot distance! That is about the only problem I remember from my coach pitch days!
Old Thu Oct 02, 2003, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Having both coached and umpired in coach-pitch games in an area where the rules have changed often, I recommend the following:

1) Limit the number of bases on an overthrow - err to the side of the defense. (Like NO bases on an overthrow to first base or home, and only 1 on an overthrow to 2B or 3B, even if the defense puts the ball back in play).

2) Allow or even require an offensive coach behind the catcher. To retrieve and return numerous overthrows, and to help the kiddos get into the box right.

3) Suggest or require that the umpire (usually only 1) position himself either halfway up the 1B line or directly behind the pitcher. One year we were require to start behind the plate - can't tell you how awkward that was.

4) Make sure you have rules regarding what the pitcher (the coach) must do after a hit. Some areas have him leave the field immediately, some have him required to stay in the circle unless getting away from a ball. Some don't say anything, which leads to confusion by the defense. Also - if a thrown ball hits the coach, play is dead.

West Houston Mike