The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 20, 2008, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Just curious

I was watching some varsity baseball yesterday.

Just where is the base umpire supposed to set up when inside under high school mechanics?

Rita
Old Thu Mar 20, 2008, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Inside Position

With runner on first B position is between the rubber and 2nd about half way and in line approximately from the plate to the edge of the dirt of the pitchers circle.
With runners at other bases C position is about the same on the other side of the mound.
Old Thu Mar 20, 2008, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C
I was watching some varsity baseball yesterday.

Just where is the base umpire supposed to set up when inside under high school mechanics?

Rita
Rita, not all association use High School mechanics in baseball, thank God. All of Oregon and several other ares use CCA (Collegiate) and many others use "pro" mechanics.

What was the situation...where were the runners and how many outs at the time?
Old Fri Mar 21, 2008, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radwaste50
With runner on first B position is between the rubber and 2nd about half way and in line approximately from the plate to the edge of the dirt of the pitchers circle.
With runners at other bases C position is about the same on the other side of the mound.
You also have the deep & shallow C. Deep for when a runner only on 3rd...
Old Fri Mar 21, 2008, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Deep B/C is not used in 2-man mechanics. Plus, with R3, deep C would give you the worst angle on a pickoff throw.
Old Fri Mar 21, 2008, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock
Deep B/C is not used in 2-man mechanics. Plus, with R3, deep C would give you the worst angle on a pickoff throw.
I respectfully disagree. If the runner at third is coming back into the bag, deep "C" is a good angle. Deep C will cause you to run more to get an angle
on a steal of third.
Old Fri Mar 21, 2008, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

I need some clarification while in the C position. R3 , ground ball to F6 who goes to F3 for out. Where should the BU be positioned to make call at 1st? I find myself sometimes getting caught moving away from throw. My Bad!!
Old Fri Mar 21, 2008, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Err, Dash:

"Deep B/C is not used in 2-man mechanics."

Dash, you need a qualifier here.

We work "Deep C" & Deep B" all the time when third base is occupied and there are less than two out and infield plays in.

"Deep B" and "Deep C" are, in fact, used in mechanics for the two umpire crew.

Regards,

Last edited by Tim C; Fri Mar 21, 2008 at 09:58am.
Old Fri Mar 21, 2008, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rngrck
I need some clarification while in the C position. R3 , ground ball to F6 who goes to F3 for out. Where should the BU be positioned to make call at 1st? I find myself sometimes getting caught moving away from throw. My Bad!!
Part of this depends on the number of outs and the specific runner configuration (because you need to be ready for the next play), but moving into the working area is a good bet. If there is only R3 and two outs, you could also move more toward the edge of the grass between first and second -- especially if F6 charges the ball.

In any event, stay out of the way of the throw.
Old Fri Mar 21, 2008, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C

We work "Deep C" & Deep B" all the time when third base is occupied and there are less than two out and infield plays in.

Regards,
With R3 and the infield in, I will position myself slightly behind F6, but that is to stay out of his way, not to get a better angle on a play at 3rd.
Old Fri Mar 21, 2008, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Dash

I guess we are agreeing even if I didn't mention angles in my post.

I thought you said "Deep B and Deep C are not used in two man mechanics."

My bad, I guess.

Regards,
Old Fri Mar 21, 2008, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock
I disagree. The advent of the metal bat has not only caused me but other umpires as well to set up "deeper" then we normally would had the participants use wood.

I know the mechanics used do not differentiate metal vs. wood but it is a reality. It is very difficult to react to a line shot off of a metal bat. I got hit once in the leg and it wasn't pleasurable. I was fortunate in that nothing was broken just very sore. You have a "split second" to move and that's not much.

Therefore I find myself in a deeper position when Varsity level and up type players are using metal as opposed to wood. The angle in certain situations might be somewhat compromised but I think for the vast majority we all have to work the next day.

Pete Booth
Old Fri Mar 21, 2008, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Rita, not all association use High School mechanics in baseball, thank God. All of Oregon and several other ares use CCA (Collegiate) and many others use "pro" mechanics.

What was the situation...where were the runners and how many outs at the time?
I had dropped in on a varsity baseball game. BU's position wasn't much different with any number of outs. When in B he stood where he could just see around the pitcher. Then when in C he moved to the other side.

I had been taught to stand as generally described, in line with the outside edge of the dirt of the pitchers circle. I'll be going to a clinic this coming weekend and wondered if high school mechanics were drastically different from the pro style.

Rita
Old Fri Mar 21, 2008, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C
I had dropped in on a varsity baseball game. BU's position wasn't much different with any number of outs. When in B he stood where he could just see around the pitcher. Then when in C he moved to the other side.

I had been taught to stand as generally described, in line with the outside edge of the dirt of the pitchers circle. I'll be going to a clinic this coming weekend and wondered if high school mechanics were drastically different from the pro style.

Rita
Rita, in Spokane we haven't use FED mechanics in years, so I might be a bit rusty.

There are some differences with the Pro mechanics, including, if I remember right, with R1/R3...FED has BU in C and Pro has him in B. There are also some coverage and rotation differences, but I really can't testify about FED with 100% certainty anymore.

At the clinic, just do what they tell you to do, smile and be glad you can forget about it later.
Old Sat Mar 22, 2008, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

How deep is deep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C

Regards,
Do "Deep B" and "Deep C" move BU outside of the diamond, ala Little League? I have seen MLB U2 that far out, once.