The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Just curious (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/42903-just-curious.html)

Rita C Thu Mar 20, 2008 09:04pm

Just curious

I was watching some varsity baseball yesterday.

Just where is the base umpire supposed to set up when inside under high school mechanics?

Rita

radwaste50 Thu Mar 20, 2008 09:25pm

Inside Position

With runner on first B position is between the rubber and 2nd about half way and in line approximately from the plate to the edge of the dirt of the pitchers circle.
With runners at other bases C position is about the same on the other side of the mound.

GarthB Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rita C
I was watching some varsity baseball yesterday.

Just where is the base umpire supposed to set up when inside under high school mechanics?

Rita

Rita, not all association use High School mechanics in baseball, thank God. All of Oregon and several other ares use CCA (Collegiate) and many others use "pro" mechanics.

What was the situation...where were the runners and how many outs at the time?

Emperor Ump Fri Mar 21, 2008 08:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by radwaste50
With runner on first B position is between the rubber and 2nd about half way and in line approximately from the plate to the edge of the dirt of the pitchers circle.
With runners at other bases C position is about the same on the other side of the mound.

You also have the deep & shallow C. Deep for when a runner only on 3rd...

dash_riprock Fri Mar 21, 2008 09:40am

Deep B/C is not used in 2-man mechanics. Plus, with R3, deep C would give you the worst angle on a pickoff throw.

umpduck11 Fri Mar 21, 2008 09:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock
Deep B/C is not used in 2-man mechanics. Plus, with R3, deep C would give you the worst angle on a pickoff throw.

I respectfully disagree. If the runner at third is coming back into the bag, deep "C" is a good angle. Deep C will cause you to run more to get an angle
on a steal of third.

rngrck Fri Mar 21, 2008 09:56am

I need some clarification while in the C position. R3 , ground ball to F6 who goes to F3 for out. Where should the BU be positioned to make call at 1st? I find myself sometimes getting caught moving away from throw. My Bad!!

Tim C Fri Mar 21, 2008 09:56am

Err, Dash:

"Deep B/C is not used in 2-man mechanics."

Dash, you need a qualifier here.

We work "Deep C" & Deep B" all the time when third base is occupied and there are less than two out and infield plays in.

"Deep B" and "Deep C" are, in fact, used in mechanics for the two umpire crew.

Regards,

bob jenkins Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rngrck
I need some clarification while in the C position. R3 , ground ball to F6 who goes to F3 for out. Where should the BU be positioned to make call at 1st? I find myself sometimes getting caught moving away from throw. My Bad!!

Part of this depends on the number of outs and the specific runner configuration (because you need to be ready for the next play), but moving into the working area is a good bet. If there is only R3 and two outs, you could also move more toward the edge of the grass between first and second -- especially if F6 charges the ball.

In any event, stay out of the way of the throw.

dash_riprock Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim C

We work "Deep C" & Deep B" all the time when third base is occupied and there are less than two out and infield plays in.

Regards,

With R3 and the infield in, I will position myself slightly behind F6, but that is to stay out of his way, not to get a better angle on a play at 3rd.

Tim C Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:07am

Dash

I guess we are agreeing even if I didn't mention angles in my post.

I thought you said "Deep B and Deep C are not used in two man mechanics."

My bad, I guess.

Regards,

PeteBooth Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:32am

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock

I disagree. The advent of the metal bat has not only caused me but other umpires as well to set up "deeper" then we normally would had the participants use wood.

I know the mechanics used do not differentiate metal vs. wood but it is a reality. It is very difficult to react to a line shot off of a metal bat. I got hit once in the leg and it wasn't pleasurable. I was fortunate in that nothing was broken just very sore. You have a "split second" to move and that's not much.

Therefore I find myself in a deeper position when Varsity level and up type players are using metal as opposed to wood. The angle in certain situations might be somewhat compromised but I think for the vast majority we all have to work the next day.

Pete Booth

Rita C Fri Mar 21, 2008 05:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarthB
Rita, not all association use High School mechanics in baseball, thank God. All of Oregon and several other ares use CCA (Collegiate) and many others use "pro" mechanics.

What was the situation...where were the runners and how many outs at the time?

I had dropped in on a varsity baseball game. BU's position wasn't much different with any number of outs. When in B he stood where he could just see around the pitcher. Then when in C he moved to the other side.

I had been taught to stand as generally described, in line with the outside edge of the dirt of the pitchers circle. I'll be going to a clinic this coming weekend and wondered if high school mechanics were drastically different from the pro style.

Rita

GarthB Fri Mar 21, 2008 06:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rita C
I had dropped in on a varsity baseball game. BU's position wasn't much different with any number of outs. When in B he stood where he could just see around the pitcher. Then when in C he moved to the other side.

I had been taught to stand as generally described, in line with the outside edge of the dirt of the pitchers circle. I'll be going to a clinic this coming weekend and wondered if high school mechanics were drastically different from the pro style.

Rita

Rita, in Spokane we haven't use FED mechanics in years, so I might be a bit rusty.

There are some differences with the Pro mechanics, including, if I remember right, with R1/R3...FED has BU in C and Pro has him in B. There are also some coverage and rotation differences, but I really can't testify about FED with 100% certainty anymore.

At the clinic, just do what they tell you to do, smile and be glad you can forget about it later.

LilLeaguer Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:07am

How deep is deep?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim C

Regards,

Do "Deep B" and "Deep C" move BU outside of the diamond, ala Little League? I have seen MLB U2 that far out, once.