The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 1.50 average. Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 10, 2008, 09:59pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Thumbs up Intelligence and Flexibility

I got into umping way back when andI was struggling mighty when Interested Ump and I started working together. I was a real stickler for this way that way all ways one way and he pointed out "Deej, why not try to fit the rules to the situations, you won't get any less grief but you will at least have a basis to make decisions on."

Damn if he wasn't right. I read these forums and see these endless diatribes about this on field application or interp and rarely do I see "what age group, field size, what level of play" and recently one (always ignored when asked) poster one lined that "what age group" of which he was blown completely oveer.

Why is tha? First it ruins the Old Guard arue amongst themselves game, second, it requires a wholly different level of discussion.

Intelligence and Flexibility

The best officials flex to their sitchs, the intelligent official does too.

The rest of you, carry on.
Old Mon Mar 10, 2008, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Classic example of why I should always log in when checking in, so my Ignore list will kick in.
Old Tue Mar 11, 2008, 01:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
Classic example of why I should always log in when checking in, so my Ignore list will kick in.
Yes, I think The Deej exactly expressed that you and yours would and should.
Old Tue Mar 11, 2008, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

I'm not big on adjusting my rules interpretations to the age and skill level I'm officiating. I believe in consistency. If you call things one way for 12 year olds and another way for 18 year olds, you risk confusing them as well as yourself.

Now I will say that one should call according to the catcher differently at different levels. In addition, many leagues want umpires to be lenient on calling balks at the city league level.
Old Tue Mar 11, 2008, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
If you call things one way for 12 year olds and another way for 18 year olds, you risk confusing them as well as yourself.
I'll just say, "say what"???

Makes a huge difference, the age of the players.

Thansk
David
Old Tue Mar 11, 2008, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Out is out and safe is safe. I will not interpret anything other then the rules listed for that game. To do so is to not be fair to the game or the participants. It also makes me not have any integrity what so ever. Am I supposed to rule a ball fair because little Johnny hasn't had a hit all year? No.

Other then blowing up the strike zone for the little ones, I don't see why I should ignore rules and interps based on age.

Heard a story about an umpire working a LL game. Kid, who had never even hit the ball, hit a home run. He was so excited he ran immediately to 2nd, then to 3rd, then to home. So the umpire waits for the obvious appeal. The defensive coach asks for time and goes and talks to his pitcher. Tells the kid not to appeal. The HR stood.

That is how the "flexability" should work. From the coaching staffs. Not from us.

(p.s. good for that Coach who realizes 10-12 year old regular season LL isn't the end of the world - there are good people out there in youth sports).
Old Tue Mar 11, 2008, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
DG,

I look at it a little differently.

Sometimes, it can be just as important to know what NOT to do as it is to know what to do.

When you use the ignore list, you miss a lot of good information on how NOT to umpire.

JMO.

JM
Old Tue Mar 11, 2008, 10:55pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
I'm not big on adjusting my rules interpretations to the age and skill level I'm officiating. I believe in consistency. If you call things one way for 12 year olds and another way for 18 year olds, you risk confusing them as well as yourself.
Rules interps, yes, if you have a choice between enforcing rules strictly or fudging them for the younguns, enforce. Unless instructed otherwise by your Big Dawgs, your plate conference should inclusde a rundown of the rules something like this:

"Coaches, I am CanadaUmp we are playing x age group (look to make sure they agree) and under the folowing rule set.

Official Basenall Rules
Modified by (FED, PONY, etc)

Any questions with the rulessets Coaches?

Here is where that may want to sub in a change that is "accepted" orusual. Here's where you nip this crap in the bud

"Big Dawg hasn't authorized that change, Coach, we will play by the rules as I quoted."

Now, if you have a question about a local interp, ask for clarification/agreement.

Otherwise, it's "Coach I have 10:00 on the offical clock, enjoy yourselves, let's play."

Quote:
Now I will say that one should call according to the catcher differently at different levels. In addition, many leagues want umpires to be lenient on calling balks at the city league level.
Your Big Dawg needs to explain to you this leniency so yoy can blame him when your and the Coaches ideas of leniency don't co-parallel. Balls and strikes, I call the plate and the batter regardless.