The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 11, 2008, 06:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
I'm going to award first on the HPB, unless it's blatantly obvious to me that the batter had ample opportunity to avoid the pitch and chose not to..........

Tim.
This was discussed at our meeting the other day. Our rules interpreter suggested that we be cognizant of the s-l-o-w curve coming in and the batter just standing there waiting to be hit. On that I agree "You! Stay in the box!". Most of the time, I think I'll be awarding the batter 1st base as always.

NCAA changed it's thinking last year on this. Their opinion was the batter has a right to the batter's box and F1 has to keep out of there. I kind of like that idea, it ends the yamering of "Hey Blue, he turned into that!" crap.

Last edited by ozzy6900; Tue Mar 11, 2008 at 06:47am.
Old Tue Mar 11, 2008, 06:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
Hallo Rocky Top!

The box is tight to the plate, pitcher has rights to toss off the plate, B's like to take more space than they deserve sometimes.

Careful with this set in concrete attitude, real baseball is never set in anayh concrete
Thanks for the Hallo, Go Big Orange!

Anyway, I stand by my previous statement. If the batter doesn't cause himself to be hit, if the ball's in the box, the batter's going to first.
Old Tue Mar 11, 2008, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInBlue
I've seen several that freeze on the slow breaking curve ball - you know that one where he had time to call his mother, drink a Coke, smoke a cigarette and STILL get out of the way, but doesn't.
I had this exact situation last year when I was behind the plate on an eval game. And got dinged on it. The moment the pitch was released I knew it was going to plunk the batter and had time to take a nap before it got there. The batter took the hit. I call "Time! The pitch is a ball, batter your staying here!" I caught heck from the OC during the game and was talked to by the evaluator. His comments were along the line, the pitch was in the batters box, sometimes you need to let them take one for the team, and because the pitcher had 2 strikes, I was rewarding the pitcher because he had another chance to strike the batter out. I fully disagreed (but remained quiet at the time, arguing with an evaluator is never a good move, no matter how wrong they are)

I normally would give the batter all the benefit, but not to where its ridiculous.
Old Tue Mar 11, 2008, 09:36am
Get away from me, Steve.

If the batter is in the box, it's taking a lot for me to keep him there, no matter if the game's FED, NCAA, or otherwise.

The slow curve or the "move the wing into the ball" are the two major exceptions.
Old Tue Mar 11, 2008, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCityRef
POE from NFHS this year regarding the batter allowing himself to be hit by the pitch.
Rule book says he must make every effort to avoid the pitch.

The NF/Referee handout states, "...a batter must make an attempt to avoid being hit by the pitch, regardless of the location. A batter who does not move to avoid shall not be awarded first."

If a batter leans into the pitch trying to get hit, yeah I'm keeping at the plate. My topic of discussion is the pitch into the batter's box and the batter doesn't move (or freezes) to avoid it. Would you keep him at the plate in that situation?
Generally Speaking if the batter gets hit while in the box 99.9% I'm sending him to first. A 50 MPH Straight Change he's staying. However if he makes any type of legit attempt (have to umpire) I'm sending him to first. 80 plus fastball if he stands like a statue he's going to first.

Sometimes you have to umpire
Old Tue Mar 11, 2008, 10:59pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Ump
The moment the pitch was released I knew it was going to plunk the batter and had time to take a nap before it got there. The batter took the hit. I call "Time! The pitch is a ball, batter your staying here!" I caught heck from the OC during the game and was talked to by the evaluator. His comments were along the line, the pitch was in the batters box, sometimes you need to let them take one for the team, and because the pitcher had 2 strikes, I was rewarding the pitcher because he had another chance to strike the batter out. I fully disagreed (but remained quiet at the time, arguing with an evaluator is never a good move, no matter how wrong they are)

I normally would give the batter all the benefit, but not to where its ridiculous.
It is so infrequently called that you keep B in the box that it is always going to be an issue. The stronger and the firmer you make the call, like its second nature, the better off you will be.

It's the mark of good officiating to make the right call and stand tall after doing so.
Old Tue Mar 11, 2008, 11:07pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
NCAA changed it's thinking last year on this. Their opinion was the batter has a right to the batter's box and F1 has to keep out of there. I kind of like that idea, it ends the yamering of "Hey Blue, he turned into that!" crap.
That's fine as long as B keeps his entire being inside the lines. No leaning over when crowding or knees protruding. The line is vertical or this interp is a bunch of hooey.
Old Tue Mar 11, 2008, 11:10pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
Actually, the Rulebook POE says "every attempt to avoid" The rule says the batter shall not "permit a pitched ball to touch him."
The last si just another example of a st00pid phrasing. The former doesn't include where theright thing to do is not move to avoid getting hit. E.g. would be a ball thrown slightly behind a B, this will typically freeze and B and is why this is the most ofetn called violation when considering throwing at the B maliciously.