The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 18, 2002, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Hey guys,
Just a little background on me, I've been coaching Little League for the past 4 years, and started umpiring 2 years ago. I've come along pretty well I feel in the umpire department, attended 3 area LL clinics, put in a few tournament games, got a good feel for the rules, just lack the years of experience to apply them, hehe.

Anyway, I had planned on coaching again this year as both my boys will be on the same major team(10yr and 12 yr old), but our league is lacking an Umpire in Chief. No one is stepping up. Last years UIC was just a warm body. I feel I could offer more to the Little League program here in good ol' Sequim, WA by taking the UIC position, and helping build the umpire program here. We have always had to rely on coaches ump'ing each others games, and we all know how well that works.

I feel umpiring is a better fit for me than coaching, but I don't want to bail on my own kids, or the team either.
We also have a lack of quality coaches, well, just plain lack of coaches. So what would you guys do in my situation, stick out coaching one more year, and watch the umpiring go down the toilet?, or take the UIC job, and have my wife flush me down the toilet when my kids get a crappy coach!??

Anyway, I know this is basically a decision I need to figure out for myself. What I'm looking for though is some perspective and any experiences if any one has gone through something similar.

thanks,
Phil
p.s. The board prez is putting the pressure on me for uic!!
Old Mon Feb 18, 2002, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

btw, how do i get my paragraph indents to stay in?
Old Mon Feb 18, 2002, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ref5678
good luck

you have quite a sitation on your hands but i think i can help. If you dont coach your kids MIGHT get a bad coach. If you dont take the uic job they WILL have bad umpires. So i say take the chance and go with the uic job.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2002, 09:24pm
Veteran College Umpire

Make all the umpires better by becoming UIC. You will still coach your kids on your own, especially if they end up with a crappy coach, right? All the kids and parents will ultimately benefit from someone who cares even a little about the umpiring - the level of ball will be elevated by a good umpiring crew. And you can take credit! On behalf of parents everywhere, thanks for even considering either job!
Old Mon Feb 18, 2002, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
Parents As Coaches

Quote:
Originally posted by JJ
Make all the umpires better by becoming UIC. You will still coach your kids on your own, especially if they end up with a crappy coach, right? All the kids and parents will ultimately benefit from someone who cares even a little about the umpiring - the level of ball will be elevated by a good umpiring crew. And you can take credit! On behalf of parents everywhere, thanks for even considering either job!
One reason I became a Coach was because when I tried to give my son advise he said (rightfully so) "You're not my coach". I/M/H/O Parents need to be real careful about reversing a coach's advice especially since almost all are volunteers.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2002, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Coach your kids......

Since you can't do both, I'd vote for you to coach your sons. You can help get good umpires, you can help train good umpires, and you don't need to be the UIC to help with that. Having quality umpires is important, and I'm sure that you can have a positive impact on that aspect of your league by assisting the UIC.

Your kids, on the other hand, may never be on the same team again. I would see this situation as a wonderful and special opportunity that may never occur for you again.

Even if the league does need you more as a UIC than a coach, be selfish. Spend this time with your kids. I coached my son's football, basketball, and baseball teams for two years. This year I didn't. I really missed that time we spent as a player/coach and father/son. However, I do have the memories of the past two years, and those memories will be with me for a lifetime.

You can always be the UIC next year.......

Old Tue Feb 19, 2002, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

Ah, there always has to be a devils advocate!!
Anyway, I told the board prez that if she found a quality coach to take my team that I would be UIC, otherwise, I would do just as mister advocate was saying, assist and train umpires. I did some of that last year. Anyway, I know what you're saying about having that time with the kids, thats why it is so hard. But I do have four years in coaching them, plus I am helping coach them(on the same team) in basketball right now. Thanks to JJ and Ref for your opinions. It validated what I was thinking. Now, its wait and see if they can find a coach!!
Phil
Old Tue Feb 19, 2002, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by phillycheese

I feel umpiring is a better fit for me than coaching, but I don't want to bail on my own kids, or the team either.
We also have a lack of quality coaches, well, just plain lack of coaches. So what would you guys do in my situation, stick out coaching one more year, and watch the umpiring go down the toilet?, or take the UIC job, and have my wife flush me down the toilet when my kids get a crappy coach!??

IMO, your coaching / Umpiring duties would suffer because you are trying to fill 2 difficult hats. UIC is a tough job. You are in control of the entire umpiring group which encompasses scheduling (many hours on the phone), heading up the clinics, being available to answer questions to other games during the day, and fending off any protests.

Coaching also requires time especially in scheduling practices around one's work schedule.

If you truly want to coach your kids, IMO stick with that and if your schedule permits, umpire when you can, therefore, you can still coach and keep a hand in the umpiring duties without being over-burdened.

Pete Booth
Old Tue Feb 19, 2002, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Wink JMHO

I would have to agree with the devil on this. I have been in your shoes somewhat, remember your kids will only be this age once as for umpiring and being UIC you have a long long road that you will have chances to do this if that is what you chose BUT you only have one chance to coach both kids at this age and it is lots of fun if you will let it be and remember if you have a bad season you can always blame it on those Bad Umps you had

Have a good day

Don