View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 19, 2002, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by phillycheese

I feel umpiring is a better fit for me than coaching, but I don't want to bail on my own kids, or the team either.
We also have a lack of quality coaches, well, just plain lack of coaches. So what would you guys do in my situation, stick out coaching one more year, and watch the umpiring go down the toilet?, or take the UIC job, and have my wife flush me down the toilet when my kids get a crappy coach!??

IMO, your coaching / Umpiring duties would suffer because you are trying to fill 2 difficult hats. UIC is a tough job. You are in control of the entire umpiring group which encompasses scheduling (many hours on the phone), heading up the clinics, being available to answer questions to other games during the day, and fending off any protests.

Coaching also requires time especially in scheduling practices around one's work schedule.

If you truly want to coach your kids, IMO stick with that and if your schedule permits, umpire when you can, therefore, you can still coach and keep a hand in the umpiring duties without being over-burdened.

Pete Booth