The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Stopwatches?? Who uses them?

Was wondering what standard operating procedure was in everyone's area regarding stop watches. I've done timed games, and typically the base umpire will have a stop watch in his pocket. It is never used to time warm-ups.

I decided one game to try to time warm-up pitches. The PU looked at me like I was crazy...

Typically here in NC its 5 or 8 prepatory pitches (assuming everyone comes out of the dugout in a timely manner). But most rule sets also stipulate no longer than one minute. At home, it's the same procedure (no stop watch), but I've seen more PU umpires in CT use that minute "discretion" and cut pitchers at around 3 or 4 pitches.

Do any areas actually use the BU and a stopwatch to signal in to PU? Or is it considered OOO.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
the minors carry stopwatches for curfews (which are typically waived,) between games of a double header, and in case of a stop in action like rain, lights, streaker...you know, things like that.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 04:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybanaduck
the minors carry stopwatches for curfews (which are typically waived,) between games of a double header, and in case of a stop in action like rain, lights, streaker...you know, things like that.
Same thing here. We only use a watch for curfew and time limit games (Weekend tournaments). Everyone pretty much subscribes to letting things be so long as the teams hustle and make a reasonable effort.

As an evaluator I use a watch as a tool to see how the the crew is doing with pace of game.

I do admit to using a stop watch to teach a certain problem manager a much needed lesson in manners ....
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

It's used all the time in Little League at tournament time in my parts. It's a simple point by a BU to the PU, to use as reference. When you're rolling with four man crews on a 60' field, U3 needs something to do. Not a big deal.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

I have never used a stop watch. But I keep a small ladies timex in my ball bag and I like to sneak a peak around the top of the 5th to see how the time is going by, although I generally have a pretty good idea. I don't work many time limit games but if I do the same little timex will tell me when time is up and it's my job to administer this rule when it exists.

On bases, I don't carry the timex and don't keep track of time at all, for any reason.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Virtually all of the sub high school ball we do has a time limit. All of us have a watch or some other timing device in our pocket or ball bag. Since I have to carry my phone at all times (real job) I just use the timer on my phone. No, I do not take calls during games.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 02:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Obviously for time limit games, a watch is neccessary.

I was more curious to see if anybody used them for tracking warm-ups.

bobbyanaduck - so in the minors PU just uses a feel as to when the game should begin? Or does he always allow the prepatory pitches?

What about minor league games that are on the radio? Doesn't there need to be some sort of set rule so they can cut off their commercials? (or is it up to the media to get back to the game whenever the U starts it).

Just asking... curiously awaiting your answer.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 02:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
Obviously for time limit games, a watch is neccessary.

I was more curious to see if anybody used them for tracking warm-ups.

bobbyanaduck - so in the minors PU just uses a feel as to when the game should begin? Or does he always allow the prepatory pitches?

What about minor league games that are on the radio? Doesn't there need to be some sort of set rule so they can cut off their commercials? (or is it up to the media to get back to the game whenever the U starts it).

Just asking... curiously awaiting your answer.
Only MLB uses a stop watch to time between innings at this point. Simply not enough $$$ in MiLB TV/Radio rights to worry about it.

Now with AAA supervised by MLB staff, it could happen for training purposes, though I would not expect that any time soon.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

I haven't used a stopwatch to time the warm up pitches. I do count the pitches and at 4 pitches I will ask the kid if he's ready. Half the time he will say yes the other half he will ask for two more. Which I happily give. I try my best to shave off a few seconds where I can to keep the game moving. Other times when I have a pitcher who is really moving I will ask the pitcher as he comes out how many warm ups do you need. You'd be amazed how many will say give me 3 or 4. Yes, I will aslo do this as the BU if I have a partner who doesn't have good game management skills. I think players, coaches and spectators appreciate keeping the game moving.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 09:31am
Veteran College Umpire

In college games if the weather looks iffy I will take a watch in case we have a rain delay - you'd be surprised at how many coaches don't know how long "30 minutes from the last visible lightening" is. When it stops they want to get going right away, and some have to be reminded of the NCAA rule with a visual aid. That's when I pull out my watch.

JJ
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

You mean you don't use a sun dial, John?
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Ump
Yes, I will aslo do this as the BU if I have a partner who doesn't have good game management skills.
I see you take your moniker seriously.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

~Sigh~

" . . . will aslo do this as the BU if I have a partner who doesn't have good game management skills."

Let me quote the Oregon Athletic Officials Association "2008 Two Umpire Mechanics Training Manual":

"As plate umpire your OWN the pitcher and catcher . . . you are the only umpire that manages that portion of the game."

And then we continue in another section:

"As Base Umpire keep AWAY from the mound . . . the plate umpire OWNS and MANAGES both the pitcher and catcher . . . all you should worry about with a pitcher is balks and illegal pitches."

If you EVER inserted yourself as you have stated above you would not only be "dinged" on your evaluation you would most likely be assigned to frosh games.

Regards,
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Indeed, Tee. Even when I've been the crew chief working the bases with a rookie or a young guy behind the plate, I've never injected myself into what I've always considered areas under the plate guy's purview, and that includes the tempo of the game and everything related to it; and if I've got the dish and one of my base partners sticks his nose into something for which I'm responsible, he gets a polite tongue-lashing from me after the game.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

minor league umpires use stopwatches for pace of game, they allow 2 to 2:20 between innings.

last year in the league that i worked we could not start an inning before 2 minutes because of radio and or local tv