The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuy
So what's wrong with that statement? Tie does go to the runner. See FED 8.4.1f. By definition the fielder must make the play on the runner/batter-runner BEFORE they reach the respective base. A tie implies the same time. Of course there are those who say a tie isn't possible. They are two mutually exclusive events and can occur at the same time.

f. after a dropped third strike (see 8-4-1e) or a fair hit, if the ball held by any fielder touches the batter before the batter touches first base; or if any fielder, while holding the ball in his grasp, touches first base or touches first base with the ball before the batter-runner touches first base:
The problem is that you didn't read 8.4.2

Art. 2... Any runner is out when he:

i. does not retouch his base before a fielder tags him out or holds the ball while touching such base after any situation (8-2-1, 2-3 and 4). Umpire may also call him out at end of playing action upon proper and successful appeal. Also, it is not necessary for runner to retouch his base after a foul tip (2-16-2); or

j. fails to reach the next base before a fielder either tags the runner out or holds the ball while touching such base, after runner has been forced from the base he occupied because the batter became a runner (with ball in play) when other runners were on first base, or on first and second, or on first, second and third. There shall be no accidental appeals on a force play.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp
The problem is that you didn't read 8.4.2

Art. 2... Any runner is out when he:

i. does not retouch his base before a fielder tags him out or holds the ball while touching such base after any situation (8-2-1, 2-3 and 4). Umpire may also call him out at end of playing action upon proper and successful appeal. Also, it is not necessary for runner to retouch his base after a foul tip (2-16-2); or

j. fails to reach the next base before a fielder either tags the runner out or holds the ball while touching such base, after runner has been forced from the base he occupied because the batter became a runner (with ball in play) when other runners were on first base, or on first and second, or on first, second and third. There shall be no accidental appeals on a force play.
Or how about 8.2.8: A runner acquires the right to the proper unoccupied base if he touches it before he is out (tie goes to the fielder).
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

"call it both ways"

After giving this matter considerable thought, prompted by many of the posted responses, I will now deal differently with these words. Thanks for the input.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAUA96
I missed a curve ball (it was high - just over the belt - I called it a strike). That was a 4th year umpire mistake. I hope to do better next year.

What's wrong with a belt high hook?
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 05:32pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuy
So what's wrong with that statement? Tie does go to the runner. See FED 8.4.1f. By definition the fielder must make the play on the runner/batter-runner BEFORE they reach the respective base. A tie implies the same time. Of course there are those who say a tie isn't possible. They are two mutually exclusive events and can occur at the same time.

f. after a dropped third strike (see 8-4-1e) or a fair hit, if the ball held by any fielder touches the batter before the batter touches first base; or if any fielder, while holding the ball in his grasp, touches first base or touches first base with the ball before the batter-runner touches first base:
There are not ties, the runner is either safe or the runner is out. When the crowd "sees" a tie...many, many, times it's an out, because it's not really a tie. I think you might just be trying to stir the pot though...so I'm only partially biting.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 05:35pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I'm pretty sure the height of the pitch at the point it crosses the plate as you describe it is a strike in many, many leagues...but I'm not really into discussing balls and strikes through words...video clips maybe...but probably not that either.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaff
If it croseed the plate belt high, nothing. However, if the catcher caught it belt high, it was very likely up.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 08:06pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
If it croseed the plate belt high, nothing. However, if the catcher caught it belt high, it was very likely up.
What if it was a rising curveball?
Old Sat Jan 26, 2008, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

TxUmp: I don't allow anyone on the field to use the phrase "Call it both ways, Blue!"

Amen. Actually had a coach send his captain out at half-time of a basketball game and say words that effect. I lit the coach up. It was bad enough for the coach to say it, but to have a high school kid do it on his behalf is way out of line.

Last edited by Uncle_Moe; Sat Jan 26, 2008 at 01:25pm.
Old Sat Jan 26, 2008, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Better to refer this question to our resident "Rising Fastball" expert.
Old Sun Jan 27, 2008, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Steball is a 3rd year mistake?

I think that would make most of us with well above 50 years of experience each...
Old Sun Jan 27, 2008, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Then Hell would have frozen over................

Tim.
Old Sun Jan 27, 2008, 10:10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaff
Belt high hooks often wind up deposited in the outfield bleachers, for one thing.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 09:55am
Veteran College Umpire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Belt high hooks often wind up deposited in the outfield bleachers, for one thing.
I've always wondered why, when I call that high zone pitch a strike, the offensive teams takes offense (pun intended), because my next thought is, "I wonder what a Mark McGuire or a Sammy Sosa would have done with that pitch?"

JJ
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 10:30am
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ
I've always wondered why, when I call that high zone pitch a strike, the offensive teams takes offense (pun intended), because my next thought is, "I wonder what a Mark McGuire or a Sammy Sosa would have done with that pitch?"

JJ
Pre steroid/HGH, Sammy would've flown out to shallow left field. McGwire...probably into the seats.

That's the best point though...pitchers miss when that's the location of a curveball...lucky, if it stays in the park.