The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 1.57 average. Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 26, 2007, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ
Toss up for me -
#1 While in Venezuela for a Team USA tournament, I got to ride a local bus 10 hours over two-lane road in 90 degree temps with no air conditioning and Mario Andretti driving (we went from one tournament city to another), OR

#2 On the same trip I got to ride (with two of the teams) BACK from one city to the other on a HUGE Venezuelan military transport plane. WAY cool!
JJ
I can see where those situations would be a toss up. Which of the two do you consider to be the most brutal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
My best moments in umpiring:

1. Working a three-man AAA Legion game with my two sons.

2. The first time I watched my younger son work as a real MiLB umpire.
Those certainly are moments to be proud of and thank you for catching my typo per your #30 post in this thread.

This year my best moment this year was being able to get back on the field and umpire after two major cancer surgeries and months of chemotherapy.
Old Wed Dec 26, 2007, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
Give it a rest Garth. He put MiLB in his signature with no harm intended. The professional umpires you defend probably couldn't care less if someone claims to be an MiLB umpire. They'd probably laugh at a non-professional speaking for them. Quit being so self-righteous and let the pros decide if putting MiLB in a signature is something to make an issue of.
Canda, my boy, once again you know not of what you speak. To date I have heard from six active MiLB umpires who think he's an idiot for listing MiLB without actually being an MiLB umpire. Why don't they come on and tell him? They are prohibited by contract from posting on these forums.

Additionally two former MiLB umpires have emailed me agreeing that his practice of putting MiLB in his signature is, at best, misleading, partly because he's the only one who thinks it means what he claims. One has suggested that he thinks Michael worked during the strike.

The best comment I've gotten from them is that most everyone will recognize him as a phony when they read his posts.

If having zero tolerance for liars is self-righteous little one, than I am indeed guilty.
Old Wed Dec 26, 2007, 10:21pm

Quote:
To date I have heard from six active MiLB umpires who think he's an idiot for listing MiLB without actually being an MiLB umpire. Why don't they come on and tell him? They are prohibited by contract from posting on these forums.
Riddle me this, Caped Crusader:

Why are they prohibited from posting on this forum, but not prohibited from posting on Hunter Wendelstedt's forum?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Dec 26, 2007, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve

Why are they prohibited from posting on this forum, but not prohibited from posting on Hunter Wendelstedt's forum?
The prohibition applies to all sites. Bobbybanaduck surmises that some of them haven't read the fine print of their contracts.

Other than that, I have no idea.
Old Wed Dec 26, 2007, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Cub42
Question Why?

Make it 6 Garth. I find it ridiculous for someone to portray themselves as someone who works at a level they do not. By being arrogant towards others does not make you look better either. Just be yourself and move on.
Old Wed Dec 26, 2007, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Are there major league guys posting on Hunter's forum, who are bound by a different contract? We've all heard the MiLB guys aren't allowed to post, but does MLB make its umpires play by the same rules?
Old Wed Dec 26, 2007, 11:28pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmets
Are there major league guys posting on Hunter's forum, who are bound by a different contract? We've all heard the MiLB guys aren't allowed to post, but does MLB make its umpires play by the same rules?
Hunter is the only MLB umpire I have seen on the forum. The other pros are minor league instructors and umpires.

I stopped posting there when some guy came on and flooded every thread with TWPs. I became too much for me. Perhaps I'll go back and check and see if it's still the same.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Dec 27, 2007, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
Quote:
As an (ahem) NCAA umpire, no doubt you are aware that there are times when it is the umpire's job to notify a coach or player of his punishment, e.g. when a coach makes physical contact with the umpire, the umpire ejects him and informs him, "That's a suspension."

Perhaps that practice is in place where Rcichon works.
Such is the case.
Old Thu Dec 27, 2007, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
Quote:
I am just a bit confused here.

Was this a triple-elimination playoff game? If it was a playoff game, and the team with the ejection lost, wouldn't that be the end of their season? How come they still have two games left? Isn't the regular season already over if it's a playoff game?

And just out of curiosity, how come your son didn't eject the coach since it was his call that was being argued?

Just asking for some clarification. Thanks.
Regular season playoff. They won this game. If they lose the next, then they still have one more. FYI they won the season without daddy coach.

He was still a little too junior to fully understand what daddy coach was trying to do. I guess you HTBT.
Old Thu Dec 27, 2007, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
Give it a rest Garth. He put MiLB in his signature with no harm intended. The professional umpires you defend probably couldn't care less if someone claims to be an MiLB umpire. They'd probably laugh at a non-professional speaking for them. Quit being so self-righteous and let the pros decide if putting MiLB in a signature is something to make an issue of.

When you have accomplished something in you life, that you spent a great deal of time, money and effort to achieve, then spend years proving yourself time and again, only then will you understand. Until then it's beyond you.

I just happen to agree with Garth on this one. I truly have no tolerance for a liar, cheat or thief.
Old Thu Dec 27, 2007, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Umpiring Moment of the Year
My best moment would be to see an end to this ridiculous thread!
Old Fri Dec 28, 2007, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

My umpiring moment of the year was at a 15 and under girls softball tournament. I go near the backstop, take off my base pants, put my jock on over my underware, then put my plate pants on........no, wait, that wasn't me......nevermind.

Last edited by BigTex; Fri Dec 28, 2007 at 01:56pm.
Old Fri Dec 28, 2007, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTex
My umpiring moment of the year was at a 15 and under girls softball tournament. I go near the backstop, take off my base pants, put my jock on over my underware, then put my plate pants on........no, wait, that wasn't me......nevermind.
Now that's funny !
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Most memorable moment:

The six ejections in five minutes (as discussed in an earlier thread ).

Arnie

You can't fix stupid - Ron White
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

great day

I got called on my cell to do a make-up double header. I said, ok. The secretary asks if I can get a partner...Sure, let me call acouple of guys. I called Rick and he said, sure but there won't be any games. The severe thunderstorm will hit within ten minutes of game time.

We each got a check for $95 for standing in the dugout watching the AD follow the radar on his blackberry. It rained so hard that we could not even see the other dugout.

Joe in Texas