The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 09, 2007, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Six Billion and growing

Did any of you read the press release from Selig about how well baseball is growing. This year, baseball earned six billion.. yes billion with a B. And yet, MLB still won't support it's MiLB Umpires.
Old Sun Dec 09, 2007, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherblue
Did any of you read the press release from Selig about how well baseball is growing.
I didn't.
Old Sun Dec 09, 2007, 08:24pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
I didn't.
Ditto.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Dec 09, 2007, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
I didn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Ditto
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3112210
Old Sun Dec 09, 2007, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

MLB is in the entertainment business, guised in a sports wrapper. And as long as there is a huge gaggle of umpires willing to toil for less than nothing for the hope of making it to the show there's no reason for the owners to even deal with MiLB umpires. The lure of "big" money in the Majors has so far kept a ton of AAA and AA guys and gals willing to work for less, and have lots of folks waiting in line for their spots if they quit.

So, why should MLB do anything about MiLB umpries? It's a simple supply and demand situation.
Old Sun Dec 09, 2007, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt
MLB is in the entertainment business, guised in a sports wrapper. And as long as there is a huge gaggle of umpires willing to toil for less than nothing for the hope of making it to the show there's no reason for the owners to even deal with MiLB umpires. The lure of "big" money in the Majors has so far kept a ton of AAA and AA guys and gals willing to work for less, and have lots of folks waiting in line for their spots if they quit.

So, why should MLB do anything about MiLB umpries? It's a simple supply and demand situation.

This goes beyond simple supply and demand.

As I learned after I got of college and into the real marketing world, people (and in this case, organizations) don't always spend money because they have to; they often spend money because they want to.

In the second case, they have made the decision, for what ever reason, that it is in their best interest to spend the money. This can apply to such simple things as IPhones, in which case people often choose to pay more for the object than they really have to for some perceived benefit...convenience, a more reliable retailer....etc.

MLB will contribute more to the training of MiLB umpires when they perceive it is in their best interest. This is where, in my opinion, the former leadership of the AMLU failed its membership. They did not present a convincing enough case that what they wanted was in the best interest of both MiLB and MLB.

I believe the new leadership understands this.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 01:56am
Official Forum Member

You would think with MLB's rush to push back ground checks on the Milb umpires they would step up and pay up. It's my understanding that MLB took away several million dollars from the MiLb umpires several years ago. We all know it's pathetic what the Milb umpires are making. If MLB is worried about the integrity of the umpires at all levels of the game, what's supporting those same individuals with a living wage going to hurt? A couple extra million....peanuts.

Last edited by justanotherblue; Mon Dec 10, 2007 at 01:59am.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 04:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherblue
You would think with MLB's rush to push back ground checks on the Milb umpires they would step up and pay up. It's my understanding that MLB took away several million dollars from the MiLb umpires several years ago. We all know it's pathetic what the Milb umpires are making. If MLB is worried about the integrity of the umpires at all levels of the game, what's supporting those same individuals with a living wage going to hurt? A couple extra million....peanuts.
Two questions here:

1. The background checks are simply a knee-jerk reaction to the NBA fiasco.

2. umpire development has gone through several significant changes over the years. MLB used to run UDP (Umpire Development Program). Due to some 'management problems' within the program, umpire development was handed off to MiLB. UDP became PBUC, with the MiLB leagues picking up the costs (MLB directly pays MiLB for the extra AAA fill-in umpires).

MLB indirectly pays for umpire development via the various marketing and cost sharing agreements with MiLB.

Properly funding umpire development would cost MLB peanuts. IMO the problem is simply that there is so little turnover at the MLB level that there is no real incentive to change. The current program produces high quality umpires at all levels, so why change?
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

If it ain't broke, don't fix it? Sounds about right.

MiLB doesn't pay its players much more than its umpires. Same reason: part of their compensation is a chance for the big payoff.

Just as a risk of harm is itself a harm, a chance of benefit is itself a benefit. It doesn't surprise me that MiLB has many qualified umpires who are willing to work under the current system.

And we should recognize that under the capitalist conception of fairness, the MiLB umpires have a fair deal: the contract between MiLB and its umpires is free of force and fraud, since both parties knowingly and voluntarily entered into it.

If you still think that their deal is unfair, given the $6B floating around above them, you might be right -- but that notion of fairness is not a capitalist one.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

~Sigh~

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it? Sounds about right."

Couldn't agree more Mr. Byron.

If I were a club owner at the MLB level I would look at the fact that there seems to be a never ending cadre of young bucks that will take the chance to one day make the largest dance floor.

As far as I can tell every one of these new MiLB umpires know not only how "narrow the door" is but also how little money they make at the lower levels.

As long as the system is what it is, as long as there are new people entering at the lowest level, and as long as there is a VERY LONG apprentice program as an owner I am not sure you could convince me to invest any additional dollars in this development program.

When all is done an owner might think: "If I am 'happy' with the end result I see each day in MLB games 'why' would I want to change anything?"

And we all know how well minor league umpire strikes work.

Regards,
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Points well taken. Now, if only I was taller, faster, and could catch, hit and throw. Wait, don't they make a pill for that now
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

And we should recognize that under the capitalist conception of fairness, the MiLB umpires have a fair deal: the contract between MiLB and its umpires is free of force and fraud, since both parties knowingly and voluntarily entered into it.

But . . . but . . . but . . . the agreement doesn't fit my conception of what's right. We need laws dictating what MiLB umpires should be paid. How can you feed a family of four on what a MiLB umpire makes? To the barricades!
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

I think we all agree, things could be better for MiLB umpires. They should be paid more IMHO, for the travel and work expected/demanded of a MiLB umpire, (or any umpire) yes they should. Regardless of the wages paid, there will always be a revolving door in the minor leagues. As Tim said, it's a very narrow door. With the lower third (arbitrary number picked out of the air for discussion purposes only) being dropped at each level every year, the door is/would always be moving. However, for those that do rise to the top, a living wage would be a just reward. The truth be told, this will never happen, it never has, it never will. Because the perfect game for us is one that were not remembered being on the field.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When all is done an owner might think: "If I am 'happy' with the end result I see each day in MLB games 'why' would I want to change anything?"
TEE the aforementioned is right on but are the owners / players "happy" with the current corps of ML umpires?

Every year you will have the normal whining and crying but this past year it seems as thought both owners / players were not happy with the umpires in general.

They complained that this "new crop" of umpires looks for ways to toss people etc. In other words more confrontational then their predecessors of years ago.

Therefore if the owners / players union is unhappy with the current umpiring system perhaps some change will take place. Doubt it but you never know.

Pete Booth
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule
[B] We need laws dictating what MiLB umpires should be paid.
We do: its called the federal minimum wage.

(I'm not saying that that law is "fair" or stating any other opinion about that law for that matter...I'm just saying that there is a law.