The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 09:57pm
etihwsamoht

Quote:
Originally posted by BigUmp56
What was your primary MOS in the military, Thomas?

Tim.
LRRP, nuff said
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

>>If you don't have a enough money to buy some equipment then you need to find another hobby.<<

This is a bit shortsighted for those starting out.

Can I AFFORD $400-500 (in addition to another $150 or so for stuff for the bases) for plate equipment? Sure. Do I want to spend that much before I start working, knowing I will only make probably twice that in the season and at the same time not knowing if I am going to like it enough to continue?

If you are in your second plus year of umpiring, yes, you need the equipment and you need to work the bucket with regularity. But the same may not be true of first years.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

associations shouldn't pay different for bases and plate. in fact, some can make an argument that the bases are harder than the plate.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 10:58pm

Since we're going to respond to a thread that was abandoned 3 years ago, okay....I agree that fees should be the same. That's the way we do it. You trade of the dish each time you work with someone. I actually have some friends who will work the plate every time if I want them to. These guys don't care for the bases so much. Who am I to argue at my age.

There are groups that have to pay the plate umpire more, simply because it's hard to get some umpires to work the plate without some kind of bribe. The assigners are put in a tough position having to find umpires for all the games, and they do not have the manpower to just say "fine, I don't need you." It's all a matter of supply and demand. Where I live, there is no shortage of umpires, so the assigners have more leverage. If you don't want an assignment, there are many others who will take it.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Hmmm,

We normally have between 160 and 180 umpires in our association.

We are short of umpires.

Umpires are assigned by an assigning secretary to work games. The assignor directs who works the plate and who is on the bases.

You do not change that assignment, ever.

All umpires are required to work both plates and bases as assigned. We would NEVER pay an umpire a bonus to work the plate. It is their job. If they do not do it then they do not work.

We are also paid for games by the association and are given 1099's at seasons end. All umpire fees are reported to the state and federal government as required by law. All umpires I know claim all their income.

Pretty simple in my area.

Tee

[Edited by Tim C on Dec 14th, 2005 at 09:30 AM]
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by largeone59
associations shouldn't pay different for bases and plate. in fact, some can make an argument that the bases are harder than the plate.
i remember working LL when i was 14 and getting an extra $5 for doing the plate. that was a hell of a deal to me. however, that still wasnt enough for most of the kids i worked with.

other than using it as a motivational tool for 14 year old kids that want to work strictly on the bases, the rate should be the same.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2005, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Re: Hmmm,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C

Umpires are assigned by an assigning secretary to work games. The assignor directs who works the plate and who is on the bases.

You do not change that assignment, ever.
[Edited by Tim C on Dec 14th, 2005 at 09:30 AM]
Really? Not ever? What happens when the assigned plate umpire gets stuck in traffic or is otherwise delayed? Do you start the game late? Not at all? Isn't starting a game on time more important to an assignor than who does what?

Normally, we are not told what position to work. But even if we are, if my partner is not at the site 30 minutes before game time, I start getting dressed for the plate. I call my assignor fifteen minutes before game time to tell him my partner has not arrived and that I might be starting the game by myself, then follow-up after the game to let him know what happened.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2005, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Hmmm,

As I have stated over-and-over:

I do not work one man games. If my partner does not show or is late, the game will not start with one umpire. Much like in some states that REQUIRE two umpires for a game to even start (legal and safety matters) I will not work a one man.

Chappy, of course if there was a reason, other than personal choice, a guy could move to the dish if it was a forced neccessity.

Again, I will not work a game one man.

Tee

PS: I am the ONLY umpire that I work with that gets to a game 30 minutes before the start. THE ONLY ONE. 15 minutes is a lot and many arrive 5 minutes before first pitch.

t
Old Thu Dec 15, 2005, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to umpbrian

Quote:
PS: I am the ONLY umpire that I work with that gets to a game 30 minutes before the start. THE ONLY ONE. 15 minutes is a lot and many arrive 5 minutes before first pitch.
t [/B]
In our association arrival 30 min prior is a mandate. Officials who arrive later than 30 min. more than once in a season are fined by our board $5.00 per occurance. If the official should show up late more than 5 times in one season his schedule is suspended. This measure has take our association from having several late or no shows 5-6 years ago to almost none in the last 2-3 seasons.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2005, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Hmmm,

Wow, 30 minutes prior to game time! That seems like alot of time to be sitting around waiting for a game to start. I don't think I would even umpire if they made that a mandate. My time is just to valuable.

In CT, with the start times of our games and the fact that alot of our umpires are teachers, me included, arriving 30 minutes prior would be logistically impossible for many of the games. 15 minutes is what I shoot for. Sometimes, the schedule and traffic dictate that I get there with time enough to put on the gear and do the plate conference. Not optimal for sure, but it happens.

Oh, and how exactly do they know what time the umpire is arriving?

Quote:
Originally posted by umpbrian
Quote:
t
In our association arrival 30 min prior is a mandate. Officials who arrive later than 30 min. more than once in a season are fined by our board $5.00 per occurance. If the official should show up late more than 5 times in one season his schedule is suspended. This measure has take our association from having several late or no shows 5-6 years ago to almost none in the last 2-3 seasons. [/B]
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Thu Dec 15, 2005, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Our association recommends that both umpires be at the game site one hour before game time, but require us to be there 30 minutes prior to game time. That way you can get with your partner, make contact with both coaches, walk the field to insure that it is tight, and to raise any ground rule questions if it is not, and then get your gear and uniform on and still be on time for the first pitch.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2005, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Kaliix:

I would imagine that arriving 15 minutes early would suffice for the most part if you're working solo.

If you're working a two man, you still need a little extra time to briefly go over coverages with your partner and determine which one of you will work the dish.

I was taught, and always recommend, that you should take the time to walk the fence even if you're familiar with the field.

This get's the blood pumping a little prior to stretching which is important for umpires. We need to bust our butts out there to show professionalism, and it's hard to do that with a pulled muscle.

I understand that the logistics involved in getting to a game during rush hour traffic can be a nightmare, but for me personally, 30 minutes early is a mark I always shoot for.

Tim.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2005, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

t
Tee,

This tells me a lot about the lack of quality of your organization. There is no way that umpires can put on a quality performance without a pregame. The attitude that is demonstrated by showing up less than 15 minutes to game time indicates that your umpires do not take their responsibilities seriously. The plate conference is supposed to be 5-10 minutes before the first pitch!

30 minutes is the minimum that a quality organization requires quality umpires to show up prior to game time. Fields must be inspected, balls rubbed down, bats and helmets checked, the pre-game with your partner, and finally, putting on your uniform properly and making sure you look right, cannot be done in less than 30 minutes.

We are required to be there an hour before game time for NCAA ball. We check in with the coaches or game management and we are fined if we are late.

Peter
Old Thu Dec 15, 2005, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Hmmm,

I imagine if you are in an area that has more umpires than needed, you can get away with mandated arrival 30 minutes before game time. When you are in an area that is chronically short on umpires, you have to accomodate people's schedules in order to put umpires on the field. It has more to do with logistical realities than the quality of the organization.

The NCAA has many more umpires willing to work than games available. They can enforce all kinds of rules that wouldn't fly for NFHS or summer league games.

And for the record, I agree with everyone who believes that you need to be at the game ahead of time. If I have the time, 20 minutes is good for me. I come to the field dressed. The only thing I am putting on is plate gear and a shirt (or just the shirt if I am on the bases).

Quote:
Originally posted by His High Holiness
Quote:

t
Tee,

This tells me a lot about the lack of quality of your organization. There is no way that umpires can put on a quality performance without a pregame. The attitude that is demonstrated by showing up less than 15 minutes to game time indicates that your umpires do not take their responsibilities seriously. The plate conference is supposed to be 5-10 minutes before the first pitch!

30 minutes is the minimum that a quality organization requires quality umpires to show up prior to game time. Fields must be inspected, balls rubbed down, bats and helmets checked, the pre-game with your partner, and finally, putting on your uniform properly and making sure you look right, cannot be done in less than 30 minutes.

We are required to be there an hour before game time for NCAA ball. We check in with the coaches or game management and we are fined if we are late.

Peter
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Thu Dec 15, 2005, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Hmmm,

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaliix
I imagine if you are in an area that has more umpires than needed, you can get away with mandated arrival 30 minutes before game time. When you are in an area that is chronically short on umpires, you have to accomodate people's schedules in order to put umpires on the field. It has more to do with logistical realities than the quality of the organization.

The NCAA has many more umpires willing to work than games available. They can enforce all kinds of rules that wouldn't fly for NFHS or summer league games.

We are also chronically short of umpires. We feel that it is better to turn away business or raise fees and have a quality product, than to put any old crap onto the field.

Umpires know better than to accept a game that they cannot make 30 minutes prior. I will admit however, that on occasion (usually for rec ball) we give them permission in advance to cut the 30 minute advance showing down to five or ten minutes when that is the only thing that will get them to accept the game. They have to have prior approval for this.

The Arbiter has on-line reporting. Show up five minutes before a game and your partner will make a computer entry in the game report reflecting this so the assignor will know.

Peter