The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average. Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 04:11pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by UES
ATTN: GARTH, WALT, BOBBYBANADUCK

Don't waste you're time arguing semantics with these "wanna be" MiLB umpires. While I can understand your sensitivity to this issue (if you're in the game, were in the game or have a son in the game), these guys just don't have a clue about the profession. If they did, they wouldn't even put MiLB in their signature/tag line or whatever it's called.

Guys that do have a clue respect the titles of MiLB Umpires and understand what it means to have been or currently are "in the game". Fill ins, guys who work independent pro ball are not MiLB Umpires. They are umpires who have worked or currently work certain levels of professional baseball (pro ball) but are NOT Minor League Umpires per se.

I can guarantee some yahoos are going to reply to my post and disagree with what I'm saying but you can just tell who gets it and who doesn't. And to those who don't have a clue - you're not going to change them. So lets save some bandwith, time and finger strokes and leave it alone. Just my thoughts
I have all the respect for MiLB umpires I can possibly have. I just think it's a bit funny when the title is revered as if you went through 8 years of medical school to become a doctor or something like that. It was 6 weeks + PBUC for cryin' out loud. It's that "Rocket Science" mentality that I find soooooo off-putting. Sure, it's damn hard work and very few succeed, but compared with other occupations, it really is not as tough overall. I guess I'll never share that AMLU spirit.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Food for thought:
Why the ignorant are blissful. Inept individuals ooze confidence, study finds
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
"I was a better than average umpire when I contemplated going to pro-school and I believe I would have had a better than average shot of making it in umpiring."
That's a horse of a different color.

I can buy that. No problem.

Perhaps what we had here was failure to communicate.

Last edited by GarthB; Thu Dec 06, 2007 at 07:48pm.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I did not think that I needed to endure the kid piling on me as well.
Seeing as I will be 20 soon and consider myself mature beyond my years, I wouldn't exactly call myself a kid. What does it matter how old I am anyways. I was making the point that it doesn't matter what you can do, it matters what you actually do.

This brings us back to the whole ageism thing. So what if I'm 19? An opinion is an opinion and I think mine was reasonable enough, regardless of age. You're acting almost like an assignor who says "he's young, therefore he can't do that level of ball". In truth, age has little bearing on maturity or ability.

I should also add that I do not want to be associated with the people on here that like to pile on and give others a hard time. I'm not like that.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UES
SDS,

I don't know who you are and I don't care. I was bored last nite, ran across your post(s) and decided to "f" with you a little bit. Yeah, I have to admit I was pretty mean and perhaps took things too far. I should have stopped after seeing those f bombs and punk statements but I was having too much fun.

I apologize for getting you all riled up. You won't have to worry about me anymore because I probably won't come on this site anymore. I'm sure you're a good guy - just becareful how your phrase things because you never know who might be reading. Take care
Get lost troll.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Get lost troll.
Hey Canada dry.... I happen to know the the true identity of UES and he aint no troll. Unlike you, UES Has a clue about the game.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Canada -

Take this advice, from a 21 one year old who used to have a streak in him in his early umpiring days, similar, but not quite as bad, as yours.

We don't know all about the world. Or umpiring. The best thing we can do is chime in and ask questions of the people who have more experience than us, particularly about umpiring. And most important, LISTEN.

I'm gearing up for a MiLB run in the winter of 2010, after I graduate from school. I'm soaking in as much as I can now, so when I go, I'll have the best experience and learn the most from it. But I have to LEARN how to learn. You should do the same.

You may not want to listen to those in positions of authority, but you better shut your mouth about it. And by not listening, you close off your world and never get better at anything. Our opinions doesn't matter about issues at this point in our lives, and quite frankly, it shouldn't. Listen, learn, get better, and hope one day you have the expertise of some of the individuals on this board, not just in umpiring, but in life.

With a glowing heart I will see thee rise...

-Tuss
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 01:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hey Canada dry
Wish I had a dime for every time I heard that.

Quote:
I happen to know the the true identity of UES and he aint no troll.
UES did present himself as a troll by coming out of the blue and giving Steve a hard time. He even admitted to wanting to "f" with Steve a bit. Then to suddenly change his mind and call Steve "a good guy" and state that he won't be coming here anymore just sounds a bit weird. I'm guilty of trolling as well, although I try not to belittle other posters when I do so. I think UES realizes that his comments were in bad taste, which is why he deleted them.

Quote:
Unlike you, UES Has a clue about the game.
. Alright I take that as a friendly challenge. Shoot me a PM sometime and see if you can stump me on a rules question.

TussAgee, I agree with most of what you say, except for the statement that our opinions don't matter at this point in our lives. As umpires and as human beings, a young person's opinion does matter, so long as it is based on reasonable grounds and isn't being presented in a disrespectful fashion. One thing I have found through my studies in Psychology is that if a theory or concept can be imagined, it can be defended. Who is to say that any one theory is better than another? Theories come and theories go, and society is very unlikely to reach agreement on one concept for an extended length of time. That being said, this is the perfect place for us to throw ideas out there, to test our beliefs and to see if they can be challenged by alternate hypotheses.

Needless to say I am a very opinionated person, and that's not likely to change. At times I do find it hard to keep my opinion to myself. Maybe this just isn't the place where a 19 year old's beliefs are accepted, but I think we would all benefit from keeping our minds open to everyone's opinions, regardless of age.

JMO

Last edited by canadaump6; Fri Dec 07, 2007 at 01:41am.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 02:34am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Reed
"This article may contain faulty logic, methodological errors or poor communication," they cautioned in their journal report. "Let us assure our readers that to the extent this article is imperfect, it is not a sin we have committed knowingly."

But a sin nonetheless.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6

Who is to say that any one theory is better than another?
Those that were umpiring before we were conceived, that's who.

Quote:
Needless to say I am a very opinionated person, and that's not likely to change. At times I do find it hard to keep my opinion to myself. Maybe this just isn't the place where a 19 year old's beliefs are accepted, but I think we would all benefit from keeping our minds open to everyone's opinions, regardless of age.
And again, you make an excuse, and say you won't change, even after claiming you agree with what I'm saying about listening and learning.

Lastly, you say we should keep our minds open to everyone's opinion. Of course, you insinuate that we really should only keep it open if it's yours.

I tried...
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Oh ye of little understanding, your age is not why you were considered a troll!

Sorry all, I just couldn't resist!
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
and consider myself mature beyond my years,
http://www.zenspider.com/RWD/Thoughts/Inept.html
It's sad when you're at a baseball game and realize that you'll never have the money, status or talent that the guys on the field take for granted. And it gets even worse when the grounds crew gives way to the players.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Get lost troll.
Pot. Kettle. Black.

I'm just sayin'
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
you gus like coffee???

just for you, cliff, wherever you are.
Old Sun Dec 09, 2007, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000
Carolina and South Atlantic leagues. Still work them as needed.
I spoke with two MiLB umpires who work your region. The only fill in named Michael that they remembered worked the beginning of the season two years ago. Would that be you?
Closed Thread