The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Umpire Camp

If I go to a 5 week Florida umpire clinic in January of 2009, I would not be going with the goal of winning a job. Rather I would be going to learn a hell of a lot about umpiring, from the best sources, to dramatically improve my game on the ball diamond back in Canada. And dare I admit it, but being an umpire school graduate would possibly help me move up the ranks around my area. I hear their program is really intense, both mentally and physically. Do guys go there without the intention of getting a job, and if so, do they find themselves motivated enough to keep up with the rigorous schedule knowing that they will not be attending PBUC?
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
And dare I admit it, but being an umpire school graduate would possibly help me move up the ranks around my area.
If you really improve.

Quote:
I hear their program is really intense, both mentally and physically. Do guys go there without the intention of getting a job,
Yes.

Quote:
and if so, do they find themselves motivated enough to keep up with the rigorous schedule knowing that they will not be attending PBUC?
You get out of it what you put into it. Most of them are adult enough to know that.

Last edited by GarthB; Thu Nov 15, 2007 at 09:57pm.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 10:25pm
Veteran College Umpire

Didn't we cover all this recently?
Realistically, most of the students at umpire school realize after the first three days that the odds of them getting a job in pro ball are pretty slim (did you ever notice that "slim chance" and "fat chance" mean the same thing?). That's why we lost 35 guys the first week - they gave up and went home. The rest wanted to become better umpires - and MAYBE get a shot at pro ball - so they endured.
I did not get a job in pro ball, but I'm glad I endured.

JJ

PS A few guys (older, retired, or not yet tied down to life in the real world) were sent by their local associations to learn as much as they could and then conduct clinics back home.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ
(did you ever notice that "slim chance" and "fat chance" mean the same thing?)
JJ: only because "fat chance" is ironic.
Old Sat Nov 17, 2007, 06:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
Do guys go there without the intention of getting a job, and if so, do they find themselves motivated enough to keep up with the rigorous schedule knowing that they will not be attending PBUC?
If I'm shelling out that kinda cash for a camp, you damn right I'm getting as much out as I could. If I wanted to spend that much on a Florida vacation, I'd go on a cruise.
Old Sat Nov 17, 2007, 11:39pm
Veteran College Umpire

Those 35 who gave up and went home were not "invited" - they anted up and got in. they just didn't realize how physically demanding it was going to be until they got there. Harry probably refunded SOME of their up front money, but knowing Harry he didn't give it ALL back!

JJ
Old Sun Nov 18, 2007, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

I was there at the Evans camp

Hello all,
I was at the Evans camp for the last 10 days of his 5 week course,
Not to garner a job, nor to endure, or even to audit his class,
I was there working with Jim and his staff to produce a series of Stadium Video Board interactive vignettes that will challenge baseball fans at the major and minor league level.
I found his staff, (performers in our production) to be bright, and dedicated to their profession, as well as hard working teachers/advisors/mentors to the aspirants of this career.
No doubt there are many among us, (yes I'm an umpire as well) who would love to pass such a course, and perhaps even dream about a MLB career.
I will just be a voyeur, and dream that maybe if I had started in my early 20's I too might have gone to the show.
Good luck to all who attend!
umpire david
Old Sun Nov 18, 2007, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
you struck me as a voyeur when i met you down there, david.
Old Wed Jul 23, 2008, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

They have a MLB-sponsored one-day clinic and weeklong clinic every fall outside Los Angeles at the RBI complex. The one-day clinic is actually free and the weeklong is about a grand or so. I do the one day clinics. In just one day, you improve significantly as an umpire. In fact, it becomes one of the highlight experiences of your umpiring life.

At the last one, the featured instructors were Tim Tschida, Larry Young, Sam Holbrook, Jerry Layne, Kerwin Danley, Gary Cederstrom, Brian Gorman, Brian Runge, Paul Runge, Jim McKean, and the most compelling and interesting of them all--Steve Palermo. They were absolutley hands-on about everything and they even took time to offer plenty of information one-on-one. It was absolutely remarkable.

If you just go to the one-day, I assure you that you will gain significantly from the experience. And that one's free. You just need to travel to the Long Beach area of Southern California. It is a good way to get a taste of umpire school.

Here's the press release from the one that I attended last fall:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/press_releas...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Last edited by L.A. Umpire Guy; Wed Jul 23, 2008 at 01:44pm.