The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 05, 2007, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

I once served on a three-umpire team whose job was to cover one field throughout a SP softball tournament. Teams from all over the northeast. It was autumn, and the fences had been taken down and replaced by a chalk line 300 feet from the plate, so we rotated from plate to bases to "fence." The fence ump's job was to sit in a lawn chair outside the center field chalk line, and on long drives get up and check out whether the fielder stepped over the line, whether the ball traveled over the line, whether the ball hit the fielder's glove and then went over the line, and so on.

So there actually are games you umpire from a lawn chair.
Old Mon Nov 05, 2007, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
Garth at one time this was ruled a balk but later changed.
To correctly relate historical fact, that statement should read:

"Garth, at one time this was incorrectly ruled a balk by an umpring crew, only to be later corrected by their supervisor."

There has never been a rule that penalized this action as a balk, just a terrible decision similar to the one being suggested in this thread.
Old Mon Nov 05, 2007, 09:23pm
Veteran College Umpire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
Garth at one time this was ruled a balk but later changed.

Here's a little history FWIW

Jerry Remy of the BOSOX will be forever remembered in the umpiring community. Jerry did something during a game that baffled the umpires, and sparked a controversy that led to a ruling still in effect to this day in baseball everywhere.

During a game in the early 80's, with F1 on the mound and in contact with the rubber, Jerry entered foul territory to back-up an appeal attempt at first base.

Now, the umpiring crew that day knew what Jerry had done was illegal. At the start of play all fielders other than F2 are required to be on fair territory. Jerry was clearly on foul territory. But what the umpires didn't know was exactly how to penalize it. With no other feasible option, the umpires declared a balk.

That ruling rocked the umpiring world. They essentially created a new rule right there on the spot. It caused a grumbling at the highest levels of baseball officiating. Eventually the Director of Baseball Umpire Development at the time, the late Barney Deary, issued a ruling on the play. He declared that any play occurring with a fielder (other than the catcher) on foul territory should be nullified. It should not be ruled a balk.

The idea of nullifying play with less than 8 fielders in fair territory created one of the only, "do-overs," in baseball rules. And it was all because of Jerry Remy.

Pete Booth
When I went to umpire school (years ago) had a similar situation on the first rules quiz we were given. I missed it, because the classroom instructor had told us in earlier in class that we should, for the most part, "screw the team who screwed up". The test question had to do with "Team A has 8 defensive players on the field, and the leadoff batter for Team B hits a homerun. Then it's noticed Team A was missing a left fielder. Ruling?" I figured "screw the team who screwed up", so I counted the run. Of course the rule book said "...the defensive team must have 9 men on the field". It was one of only two test questions I missed out of 234. Probably cost me a shot at the Bigs...

JJ
Old Mon Nov 05, 2007, 09:45pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ
When I went to umpire school (years ago) had a similar situation on the first rules quiz we were given. I missed it, because the classroom instructor had told us in earlier in class that we should, for the most part, "screw the team who screwed up". The test question had to do with "Team A has 8 defensive players on the field, and the leadoff batter for Team B hits a homerun. Then it's noticed Team A was missing a left fielder. Ruling?" I figured "screw the team who screwed up", so I counted the run. Of course the rule book said "...the defensive team must have 9 men on the field". It was one of only two test questions I missed out of 234. Probably cost me a shot at the Bigs...

JJ
Or maybe not. However, isn't the rule enforced as such? This generally applies to F3, but also to any player. If one team complains that a fielder other than the catcher has a foot in foul territory, it is enforced for the remainder of the game for both teams. The next player who fails to heed such warning is ejected.

I don't have rule book to reference, so correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

I often thought of becoming a violin

and I think it is a balk too The rule says it's a balk.... we can't just act like gods out there we have to follow the rules! Even if we don't agree with them... that's just the way it is!!!!!!

Last edited by oyaisee; Tue Nov 06, 2007 at 02:25pm.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyaisee
I often thought of becoming a violin

and I think it is a balk too The rule says it's a balk.... we can't just act like gods out there we have to follow the rules!
O YA I SEE:

Apparently you don't.

The rule does NOT say it is a balk. The rule penalizes only paragraph (a) with a balk. Paragraphs (b) and (c) are NOT penalized with a balk.

RIF
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

4.03 When the ball is put in play at the start of, or during a game, all fielders other than the catcher shall be on fair territory.

(a)The catcher shall station himself directly back of the plate. He may leave his position at any time to catch a pitch or make a play except that when the batter is being given an intentional base on balls, the catcher must stand with both feet within the lines of the catcher’s box until the ball leaves the pitcher’s hand.

PENALTY: Balk

I read this as a Balk is the penalty!!!!! for all of 4.03 that is what I will call in my games!!!

If it's not a balk then what is it? what is going to make them stop breaking the rule every rule has a consequence it has to or else it is a moot rule!!!!
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
4.03 When the ball is put in play at the start of, or during a game, all fielders other than the catcher shall be on fair territory.

(a)The catcher shall station himself directly back of the plate. He may leave his position at any time to catch a pitch or make a play except that when the batter is being given an intentional base on balls, the catcher must stand with both feet within the lines of the catcher’s box until the ball leaves the pitcher’s hand.

PENALTY: Balk

I read this as a Balk is the penalty!!!!! for all of 4.03 that is what I will call in my games!!!

If it's not a balk then what is it? what is going to make them stop breaking the rule every rule has a consequence it has to or else it is a moot rule!!!!
the penalty fro failing to comply is an ejection. See 9.01 something (or maybe it's 9.02 or 9.03).

In any event, the play originally described is not a balk as has been explained over and over in this and other threads.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Well a blak is better then getting an ejection? Wow I like the balk better that could cost them a run if they don't stop breaking the rules!

Throw them out that is a bit harsh dont you think?
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well a blak is better then getting an ejection? Wow I like the balk better that could cost them a run if they don't stop breaking the rules!

I doubt that it's ever happened. If you tell a player to stay in fair territory, he (generally) will.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

your new at this, aint ya? or is this yet another troll come to annoy??
It's sad when you're at a baseball game and realize that you'll never have the money, status or talent that the guys on the field take for granted. And it gets even worse when the grounds crew gives way to the players.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

In a close game with a runner on third, a balk's a bit harsh, don't you think?
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Ya but what if he keeps forgetting like at first base? When he holds a runner on. I mean that is a balk if the pitcher throws over to first and he is in foul ground right?
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
I doubt that it's ever happened. If you tell a player to stay in fair territory, he (generally) will.
Bob:

After reading his recent flurry of posts in a number of threads, I think it's become evident that we've been had.

"O ya I see" is a troll.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

he has a certian great white north air about his posts.......
It's sad when you're at a baseball game and realize that you'll never have the money, status or talent that the guys on the field take for granted. And it gets even worse when the grounds crew gives way to the players.