The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas
When I was in 3rd grade they told us you needed a space between the Mr. and Donovan.

I love when people correct typos with typos. It warms my heart.
Maybe it's different in Canada, but I have never put a space between the period and the last name. Only at the beginning of a new sentence.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

just cause you do it donesnt make it right-wittle buddy.
It's sad when you're at a baseball game and realize that you'll never have the money, status or talent that the guys on the field take for granted. And it gets even worse when the grounds crew gives way to the players.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 02:30am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas
When I was in 3rd grade they told us you needed a space between the Mr. and Donovan.

I love when people correct typos with typos. It warms my heart.
That's because there is no space between My and Space on his MySpace account.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 02:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
That's because there is no space between My and Space on his MySpace account.
Hey all,

That's because all the free space is between his ears!

LomUmp
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 03:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That not calling Time until the batter-runner reaches first base is highly overrated. It is done all the time in pro ball and is traditionaly done when a manager wants Time to talk to his pitcher. Ball Four...Time Blue?...Time!...BR is 5 feet down the line...Forced runners jogging to their next base.

Now before you go off here, I'm not talking about a passed ball or wild pitch or any other scenario in which a runner might gain an extra base on the play. I'm just talking about routine Ball Four. The catcher either has the ball or has returned it safely to the pitcher. Time can then be granted. I always got a kick out of umpires who say to coaches, "No coach, I can't call Time until he gets to first base." Where is that written in the rules?
You're correct, Steve, Deej is way off the mark. An umpire can enforce "Time" while the ball is live if he so chooses.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler
You just have to make the ball dead, run his butt off the field, and replace him on the bases with his substitute.

Fifty cents in one hand. Half a dollar in the other for all practical purposes.
Huh? No you don't. You let the play continue, even though he's been ejected. When continuous action ends, you then call "time" and replace him with a substitute. The ejection actually takes effect when the play's over.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 02:28pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25
Huh? No you don't. You let the play continue, even though he's been ejected. When continuous action ends, you then call "time" and replace him with a substitute. The ejection actually takes effect when the play's over.
One more time.

Scenario 1.

Batter is ejected for throwing his bat at the pitcher after hitting a home run.
Player is ejected. Player completes home run trot. Player is retired to the clubhouse for the rest of the contest.
Umpire doesnt need to make the ball dead in this scenario. No call of "Time" is necessary.
Batter may advance without liability to be put out.

Scenario 2.

Batter is ejected for throwing his bat at the pitcher after hitting single/double/triple.
Player is ejected. Player reaches base that he has legally attained.
Defense can still make play on runner.
Umpire calls "Time" and makes ball dead. Ejected player is removed from base.
Ejected player's substitute replaces him on base.
Ejected player is retired to the clubhouse for the rest of the contest.

Scenario 1. Ball becomes dead on it's own.
Scenario 2. Ball becomes dead when umpire calls "Time" at the end of continuing action.

The only difference I was pointing out. No big whoop.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 02:53pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interested Ump
You're correct, Steve, Deej is way off the mark. An umpire can enforce "Time" while the ball is live if he so chooses.
Sure can and as we see in this thread, they often do.

Not one of them would last the scrutiny of the coaches one DH where we come from. You'll notice this, there is a significant amount of lack of coaching expeeince on the Forum. And coaches who are expereinced, who really understand the game and how to work umpires to get calls.

I kep wondering and wondering where a lot fo these guys were coming from with their posts and it took a hile *duh* to figure ot.

Were we lucky to have East Cobb, Tony Gagliano, Ross Grimsley and the Frayser F***s, Bobby Tucker, Bobby Kilpatrick, Crone from CBHS, God, how many more were there?

You showed up for there ballgames calling "T" whenever you liked, you got your a** handed to you.

All day long.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 03:00pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Just to clarify, a home run is a four base award and the ball is dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25
True, but the action was still ongoing. Let's say the batter smacked an extra-base hit and did the same thing. No difference in outcome, if you ask me.

I am sure you see it that way. It has finaly dawned on me, you don't have a clue between a live ball and a dead ball.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 03:03pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
It's spelt "Mr.Donovan", in case you didn't learn that in grade 3.
To be clear, it is Donovan J. Hammond, Jr. There seems to be a keen interest in my name and Walter's these days.

Almost entirely from people who claim we are on their "Ignore list." LOL

What group this is. when they aren't lying, they're, er, lying. They aren't working, that's fr damn sure.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 03:08pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by insatty
The pitch that preceeded F1's outburst was a strike.
Pig's eye it was.

Quote:
The bad call allowed a run to score. I would have been "pissed" too.
Who coached you, Messr. Mickey Mouse? Did you notice the other 3 Rs? They got there by inane umpiring?That you would have had three balls to get to Number 4? Then, of course, you wanto to get "pissed" on a ball, at it's extreme, in that sitch, is a strike.

Pissed. For walking they guy in, you should have been pissed at yourself.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 03:11pm
In Time Out

Quote:
That not calling Time until the batter-runner reaches first base is highly overrated. It is done all the time in pro ball and is traditionaly done when a manager wants Time to talk to his pitcher. Ball Four...Time Blue?...Time!...BR is 5 feet down the line...Forced runners jogging to their next base.

Now before you go off here, I'm not talking about a passed ball or wild pitch or any other scenario in which a runner might gain an extra base on the play. I'm just talking about routine Ball Four. The catcher either has the ball or has returned it safely to the pitcher. Time can then be granted. I always got a kick out of umpires who say to coaches, "No coach, I can't call Time until he gets to first base." Where is that written in the rules?
No comment, it's obviously waay over your head.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
Maybe it's different in Canada, but I have never put a space between the period and the last name. Only at the beginning of a new sentence.
Sorry, but no, it's not different in Canada. You've simply been doing it wrong.

Mr. is an abbreviation and as such requires both the period AND the space.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
Just to clarify, a home run is a four base award and the ball is dead.

I am sure you see it that way. It has finaly dawned on me, you don't have a clue between a live ball and a dead ball.
Don't insult my intelligence, Son. I know more about that and umpiring than your pompous @ss will ever know.

Yet another clueless wonder to add to my ignore list.

*sigh*

Last edited by UMP25; Wed Nov 07, 2007 at 04:36pm.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler
One more time.

Scenario 1.

Batter is ejected for throwing his bat at the pitcher after hitting a home run.
Player is ejected. Player completes home run trot. Player is retired to the clubhouse for the rest of the contest.
Umpire doesnt need to make the ball dead in this scenario. No call of "Time" is necessary.
Batter may advance without liability to be put out.

Scenario 2.

Batter is ejected for throwing his bat at the pitcher after hitting single/double/triple.
Player is ejected. Player reaches base that he has legally attained.
Defense can still make play on runner.
Umpire calls "Time" and makes ball dead. Ejected player is removed from base.
Ejected player's substitute replaces him on base.
Ejected player is retired to the clubhouse for the rest of the contest.

Scenario 1. Ball becomes dead on it's own.
Scenario 2. Ball becomes dead when umpire calls "Time" at the end of continuing action.

The only difference I was pointing out. No big whoop.
That's not the way your OP was written. I'm quite aware when the ball becomes dead. Absent a specific rule like it becoming dead when it clears the fence on a home run, it becomes dead when I call "time."
Closed Thread