The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

This happened in a D-III NCAA game in spring 2006:

I'm on the bases with nobody on and the score tied between two archrivals. The visiting team's batter raps a long fly down the right field line that ends up going out for a dinger. Well, as I turned to take the ball and the call, I hear behind me something erupt--a bunch of abnormal screaming and trash talking. As I finished my duties and have turned back toward the field to go back to my "A" position, I find out that the batter, after smacking the dinger, waited at home plate and flipped his bat at the pitcher, with the bat landing near the mound. The batter apparently had also said something to the pitcher while doing this. My partner working the plate, who was an MiLB ump working some spring ball for me, immediately tossed the batter.

Next, the home team's head coach comes to my partner trying to convince him that the home run doesn't count because the guy was ejected. The head coach doesn't win his argument, so he comes to me saying, "Randy, you're the crew chief. You've got to do something." I replied, "We did. The guy was ejected and we'll forward the report to your A.D. and the conference commissioner." "But he was ejected. You can't count the home run!" he maintains. "Oh? Then what would you like me to do with his at-bat? Create an out? Forget he ever existed? Sorry, Brian, but by rule, the home run counts and the ejection takes effect after he scores."

Brian walked away thoroughly confused but none too happy.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25

I'm on the bases with nobody on and the score tied between two archrivals. The visiting team's batter raps a long fly down the right field line that ends up going out for a dinger. Well, as I turned to take the ball and the call, I hear behind me something erupt--a bunch of abnormal screaming and trash talking. As I finished my duties and have turned back toward the field to go back to my "A" position, I find out that the batter, after smacking the dinger, waited at home plate and flipped his bat at the pitcher, with the bat landing near the mound. The batter apparently had also said something to the pitcher while doing this. My partner working the plate, who was an MiLB ump working some spring ball for me, immediately tossed the batter.

Next, the home team's head coach comes to my partner trying to convince him that the home run doesn't count because the guy was ejected. The head coach doesn't win his argument, so he comes to me saying, "Randy, you're the crew chief. You've got to do something." I replied, "We did. The guy was ejected and we'll forward the report to your A.D. and the conference commissioner." "But he was ejected. You can't count the home run!" he maintains. "Oh? Then what would you like me to do with his at-bat? Create an out? Forget he ever existed? Sorry, Brian, but by rule, the home run counts and the ejection takes effect after he scores."

Prediction:

A misunderstanding, myopic straw grasper will see this as evidence as to why the ejection should have waited for the batter to reach home instead of proper mechanics.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 01:07pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Prediction:

A misunderstanding, myopic straw grasper will see this as evidence as to why the ejection should have waited for the batter to reach home instead of proper mechanics.
I'll second that.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

I think it the first video the umpire looks like he kicked the poop out of something. His body language I mean.

The second video well how could he not run that pitcher??? I think the base guy could have run that guy if the plate guy didnt.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 01:38pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyaisee
I think it the first video the umpire looks like he kicked the poop out of something. His body language I mean.

The second video well how could he not run that pitcher??? I think the base guy could have run that guy if the plate guy didnt.
It seems from your description that you watched the videos in reverse order.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
I'll second that.
Motion carries!
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Motion carries!
I guess I missed the voting.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Prediction:

great idea if you want a riot on the in-field!
It's sad when you're at a baseball game and realize that you'll never have the money, status or talent that the guys on the field take for granted. And it gets even worse when the grounds crew gives way to the players.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 03:06pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Prediction:

Just to clarify, a home run is a four base award and the ball is dead.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

True, but the action was still ongoing. Let's say the batter smacked an extra-base hit and did the same thing. No difference in outcome, if you ask me.

Last edited by UMP25; Tue Nov 06, 2007 at 05:02pm.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 06:21pm
Veteran College Umpire

Question

Quote:
Sorry, Brian, but by rule, the home run counts and the ejection takes effect after he scores."

His last name wouldn't have been Baldea, would it? Nice guy.

JJ
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

No, although I agree with you about Mr. Baldea. I've never had a problem with him, and he's always been calm and courteous with me.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 08:13pm
In Time Out

Quote:
True, but the action was still ongoing. Let's say the batter smacked an extra-base hit and did the same thing. No difference in outcome, if you ask me.
You just have to make the ball dead, run his butt off the field, and replace him on the bases with his substitute.

Fifty cents in one hand. Half a dollar in the other for all practical purposes.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpLarryJohnson
Yes.

um, yea, mr "Donovan"....time forthe board to chalk up another swingnamiss from you on umpiring
It's spelt "Mr.Donovan", in case you didn't learn that in grade 3.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

When I was in 3rd grade they told us you needed a space between the Mr. and Donovan.

I love when people correct typos with typos. It warms my heart.
Closed Thread