View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 29, 2002, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by kenabernathy [/i]

Our local association has decided not to take the time to check equipment before the game and to cover responsibility of all equipment being legal by using a blanket statement in pre-game when asking coaches if " all players and equipment are according to rule" I am in disagreement and need some fuel for my fire so how do other associations handle this. Reasoning is that game times in our area are so early that some officials are only 10 to 15 min. early and think it will save time. Let me here some comments

Inspecting equipment does not take that much time. Here's what I do.

1. I ask the coaches to lay out all equipment that will be used in the game whether it belongs to the school or independently owned by the players.

2. I ask the coach to leave in the bus, etc. any equipment that will not be used This way I do not have to worry about it. I'm only concerned witnh equipment that will be in the game.

3. When all equipment is
"layed out , then perform the inspection. it doesn't take that long. The bats have to be minus 3 and the helmets have to have the NOCEA stamp on them. Also, any equipment that is cracked should be discarded.

The reason I say this as that FED rule 10-2-3A specifically states that the: The UIC shall inspect equipment and condition of field, receive batting order of both teams etc.

Since there is a specific rule governing inspection of equipment, then it behooves each umpire to comply. It doesn't take that long.

Pete Booth