The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Just to add to that whole baseball is regional...

Just to add to that whole thread about baseball being regional:

http://money.cnn.com/2007/10/25/comm...sbiz/index.htm

I'm not saying that proves that baseball is "national". But if it has been reduced to being a regional sport, that's one he!! of a region.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

I think it would be more proper to say that certain teams have a "national following" such as the Red Sox, Yankees, and Cubs (there may be more) as opposed to teams such as the Rockies, Brewers, Diamond Backs and Nationals for example who have a Regional-Local following.

Using the Cubs as an example I believe they are second to the Yankees (I could be mistaken but they're up there.) in attendance on the road.

If you include revenue from Minor League Baseball it may exceed the NFL or at leasr come close.

-
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 09:58am
Do not give a damn!!

Once again I think the point was completely missed. I think the average fan in MLB could not name players from all the teams even the smallest market teams. I watch baseball and I still cannot name or figure out who most of the Colorado players were. The NFL does a much better job in marketing players and even the worst teams in the league the average fans knows something about them.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 11:39am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I watch baseball and I still cannot name or figure out who most of the Colorado players were.
You must not watch a whole lot of baseball, or you would be familiar with at least a few players on every team. Those of us in an NL West city are certainly familiar with the Rockies starting lineup. It is quite evident that baseball is not your favorite spectator sport, but it is for many of us.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 06:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon30307
Using the Cubs as an example I believe they are second to the Yankees (I could be mistaken but they're up there.) in attendance on the road.
Actually, Red Sox were first and Yankees second in road attendance this year. I don't know where the Cubs ranked.
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Red face

Quote:
...and even the worst teams in the league the average fans knows something about them.

Peace
Hardly. I'm an avid NFL fan. It's a close second to baseball in my heart, but I confess: I cannot name ONE player on the Oakland Raiders, the Buccaneers, Titans, Chiefs, and probably a couple more. I kid you not. I have the NFL Sunday Ticket, too, and still can't name a single player on any of those aforementioned teams. And I consider myself a sports nut!
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 10:58am

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25
Hardly. I'm an avid NFL fan. It's a close second to baseball in my heart, but I confess: I cannot name ONE player on the Oakland Raiders, the Buccaneers, Titans, Chiefs, and probably a couple more. I kid you not. I have the NFL Sunday Ticket, too, and still can't name a single player on any of those aforementioned teams. And I consider myself a sports nut!
I'm pretty sure UmpLarryJohnson plays for the Chiefs!
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 11:02am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Donte Culpepper went to the Raiders after being at Miami for a year after he was released. And Jamarcus Russell was their first round draft pick this year.

The Buccaneers has Jeff Garcia that was with the Eagles when Donavan McNabb was hurt

Vince Young is with the Titans and was a first round draft pick last season and is on the cover of Madden 08.

The Chiefs have Larry Johnson and Priest Holmes which came back a neck injury about 2 years ago.

Now that was without looking. Stop calling yourself an avid if you cannot name some of these names.

And the Patriots-Redskins game had more viewers in the middle of the season (52-7) at a different time than the World Series later that night when the Red Sox won the WS. The NFL game received over a 14.0 Nielsen rating and the World Series was around a 10.0-11.0 rating.

I worked my first round playoff game on last Friday for the IHSA Playoffs. It rained 30 minutes before the game until the game ended. There were more people in the stands and on the sides of the fences in that one game then there was all my Class A and AA Post Season Baseball games combined during the 2007 season. And the weather was much nicer during every game and with the sun out most of the time as well. And this is an avid baseball town.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I worked my first round playoff game on last Friday for the IHSA Playoffs. It rained 30 minutes before the game until the game ended. There were more people in the stands and on the sides of the fences in that one game then there was all my Class A and AA Post Season Baseball games combined during the 2007 season. And the weather was much nicer during every game and with the sun out most of the time as well. And this is an avid baseball town.

Peace
Now you're just being ridiculous, JR.

A. Football stands have FAR greater capacity than do baseball stands, especially at high schools. Duh. (And I don't think the schools play a schedule composed of 20, 30, 40, or more football games. Of course, you didn't know that.)

B. Autumn in Chicagoland has, for the last several years, been much better weather-wise than has spring, when baseball plays. I guess that's baseball's fault, too, huh?

Really. Your posts when attempting to make a "point" have truly gone beyond illogical; they're downright stupid.
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msavakinas
the phrase sports nut obviously doesn't mean as much as it used to. hate to break it to you but you need to start watching your NFL ticket or just give it to me... because you're obviously not putting it to any use
Oh, I put it to use. I consider it money well-spent for one reason: the Pittsburgh Steelers. I subscribe to the package for the Steelers alone. I don't watch anyone else but the Steelers and Bears, save for an occasional matchup that isn't carried by CBS or FOX as a national game or isn't carried on one of my Distant Network Signal (DNS) feeds.
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 12:41pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:

The Chiefs have Larry Johnson and Priest Holmes which came back a neck injury about 2 years ago.
Don't forget veteran linebacker, Donnie Edwards whom the Chiefs picked up in the off season amongst others .
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 01:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Now you're just being ridiculous, JR.

A. Football stands have FAR greater capacity than do baseball stands, especially at high schools. Duh. (And I don't think the schools play a schedule composed of 20, 30, 40, or more football games. Of course, you didn't know that.)
Of course they are far greater capacity. Because more people attend those games on a regular basis. You better create a way to have a few thousand attend a game. They do not need that kind of accomidations during baseball season.

Quote:
B. Autumn in Chicagoland has, for the last several years, been much better weather-wise than has spring, when baseball plays. I guess that's baseball's fault, too, huh?
For the record the baseball post season I worked this past season the weather was in the 70s and the sun was out pretty much every game even during those Sectional semi-final games that were after 4:00. Even the Sectional Final the sun shined the entire day and it was quite hot. The game was during a Saturday morning (June 2) with no more than around 400 people at most. My game on Saturday the temperature was in the 40s, 7:00 at night and people were willing to sit outside in the rain for several minutes before game time to watch a blowout game that was decided after the first couple of plays and hardly anyone left. Even the losing team's fans were pretty much staying most of the game.

Quote:
Really. Your posts when attempting to make a "point" have truly gone beyond illogical; they're downright stupid.
You decided to post this with my name to try to make a point. I did not and have not tried to talk about ratings or this issue since it was put to bed over a week ago.

This seems to be your issue whether baseball is falling off the map or not. I loved baseball as a kid and I played it the longest. There was not even football offered until I was in 8th grade and that was the first year of that league. I played baseball in the backyard more than any other sport and if I could have been the next Willie Stargell I loved that possibility. I played varsity baseball the longest and baseball was the only sport I was a starter over some time compared to my other sports I played. I even spent a summer in Natchitoches, Louisiana because my Mom who was a college professor was doing a sabbatical for some research and she had to find me a baseball team to play for during the summer to keep me preoccupied. It was one of the most fun times of my life. So I am speaking as a fan of a game that for some reason has lost some luster. I even remember when the World Series was on it was constantly the topic of conversation when I was younger. Now the most talk I hear about is on places like this from people that work baseball.

You seemed to be having a harder time dealing with those facts than I am. And when I look at schools that have great athletes in the other sports, they choose not to participate in baseball at all. So the best athletes at the younger levels are not playing baseball. And teams that once had a cut, need to take every player they can get. Even look at the Major Leagues and many of the better younger players are coming from outside of the United States.

You have every right to disagree; I am just saying something is wrong. When the people my age and in their 40s, 50s and 60s are gone, will there be anyone younger that will get to those ages that will support MLB.

All you seem to be talking about is emotion and what once was and what it should be. Nothing wrong with that but stop trying to assume that this conversation is only about what our emotions are.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 01:28pm

Quote:
Oh, I put it to use. I consider it money well-spent for one reason: the Pittsburgh Steelers. I subscribe to the package for the Steelers alone. I don't watch anyone else but the Steelers and Bears, save for an occasional matchup that isn't carried by CBS or FOX as a national game or isn't carried on one of my Distant Network Signal (DNS) feeds.
In all fairness to those who don't consider you to be an "avid NFL fan," from what you are saying here it appears you are merely an avid Steelers and Bears fan.

I consider myself a voracious NFL fan, and I can name a good many starters and reserves on every team in the league. I watch every single game available in my area each Sunday. I always watch Monday Night Football. I play in two fantasy football leagues on NFL.com and ESPN.com and I closely monitor all of the star players and worthwhile bench players. That is what I consider to be an avid NFL fan.
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 02:31pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
In all fairness to those who don't consider you to be an "avid NFL fan," from what you are saying here it appears you are merely an avid Steelers and Bears fan.

I consider myself a voracious NFL fan, and I can name a good many starters and reserves on every team in the league. I watch every single game available in my area each Sunday. I always watch Monday Night Football. I play in two fantasy football leagues on NFL.com and ESPN.com and I closely monitor all of the star players and worthwhile bench players. That is what I consider to be an avid NFL fan.
Fantasy sports is the biggest waste of time I can think of. It doesn't make you a voracious NFL fan. It only makes you a stat junkie who tries to forecast who will score, throw or catch the most touchdowns. Who gets to kick the most field goals. What defense might play well that day. It has nothing to do with winning or losing an actual game. Your player might have a great game statistically, but their team can still lose the game. You can be a fan of one team and have a fantasy player on one team competing against each other. Which do you want to do well? You don't have to know a bunch of silly stats to be a big fan. I know a few people that know little about football and do well in fantasy leagues. Fantasy football has become one of the biggest wastes of man work hours. Why do you think companies are having domains such as these blocked?
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 04:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve

I would not call anyone an avid fan when they cannot name one of the league's best Running backs, one of the League's well known players and QBs and a QB that was off-season news in after being released from a well known franchise.

In my opinion just admit you love baseball and leave it at that. There is nothing wrong with being a fan of any sport. Soccer is the world's sport and you do not see my trying to convince everyone here the beauty and the fluidness of that sport. Who cares what you like. But admit that the sport you claim to love year in and year out loses the general public.

Peace