View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 01:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25
Now you're just being ridiculous, JR.

A. Football stands have FAR greater capacity than do baseball stands, especially at high schools. Duh. (And I don't think the schools play a schedule composed of 20, 30, 40, or more football games. Of course, you didn't know that.)
Of course they are far greater capacity. Because more people attend those games on a regular basis. You better create a way to have a few thousand attend a game. They do not need that kind of accomidations during baseball season.

Quote:
B. Autumn in Chicagoland has, for the last several years, been much better weather-wise than has spring, when baseball plays. I guess that's baseball's fault, too, huh?
For the record the baseball post season I worked this past season the weather was in the 70s and the sun was out pretty much every game even during those Sectional semi-final games that were after 4:00. Even the Sectional Final the sun shined the entire day and it was quite hot. The game was during a Saturday morning (June 2) with no more than around 400 people at most. My game on Saturday the temperature was in the 40s, 7:00 at night and people were willing to sit outside in the rain for several minutes before game time to watch a blowout game that was decided after the first couple of plays and hardly anyone left. Even the losing team's fans were pretty much staying most of the game.

Quote:
Really. Your posts when attempting to make a "point" have truly gone beyond illogical; they're downright stupid.
You decided to post this with my name to try to make a point. I did not and have not tried to talk about ratings or this issue since it was put to bed over a week ago.

This seems to be your issue whether baseball is falling off the map or not. I loved baseball as a kid and I played it the longest. There was not even football offered until I was in 8th grade and that was the first year of that league. I played baseball in the backyard more than any other sport and if I could have been the next Willie Stargell I loved that possibility. I played varsity baseball the longest and baseball was the only sport I was a starter over some time compared to my other sports I played. I even spent a summer in Natchitoches, Louisiana because my Mom who was a college professor was doing a sabbatical for some research and she had to find me a baseball team to play for during the summer to keep me preoccupied. It was one of the most fun times of my life. So I am speaking as a fan of a game that for some reason has lost some luster. I even remember when the World Series was on it was constantly the topic of conversation when I was younger. Now the most talk I hear about is on places like this from people that work baseball.

You seemed to be having a harder time dealing with those facts than I am. And when I look at schools that have great athletes in the other sports, they choose not to participate in baseball at all. So the best athletes at the younger levels are not playing baseball. And teams that once had a cut, need to take every player they can get. Even look at the Major Leagues and many of the better younger players are coming from outside of the United States.

You have every right to disagree; I am just saying something is wrong. When the people my age and in their 40s, 50s and 60s are gone, will there be anyone younger that will get to those ages that will support MLB.

All you seem to be talking about is emotion and what once was and what it should be. Nothing wrong with that but stop trying to assume that this conversation is only about what our emotions are.

Peace