The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 2.14 average. Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 11:55pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
As stupid as this thread has started, maybe I can redirect into something sufficiant.

A local league in CT did get audited for paying in cash. The league took care of the accountants that ended up telling which umpires made over 600 over the past year, which ended up having to be filed with the IRS.

600 is the maximum that independent contractors can make in a year without having to pay taxes for that income to the IRS.

We all make sure that we stay under the 600 dollar threshold for that league every year.

Still, most leagues in the area pay cash and no questions are asked...
Speaking of st00pid, admitting to taking cash payments and not reprting them on a public forum ranks right up there with "Move over bus, I'm walking acroos the street now."
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 11:57pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawump
Sure...if you don't get a 1099 (because you only made $590) you can go ahead and not report it and you'll be fine...unless you're randomly selected for an audit...or your association is...then you'll be in trouble. The odds of being randomly selected for an audit are low...but why risk it? Especially when you CAN claim deductions, etc. for your "business".

Yes, I report EVERY dollar I make every year. I keep a log listing every game I contract to work, whether I actually worked the game and how much I was paid. Likewise, I also keep track of my expenses (read: receipts).

I'm not a TAX attorney, but, failure to report income is a crime than CAN and DOES result in jail time...in addition to fines, high interest rates on amounts owed, etc.

If you don't believe me...ask some NBA refs from the beginning of the decade.

Frankly, a sports officials' honesty should be beyond question. Failing to report income is dishonest behavior. I'm not surprised that many fail to report income they earn from officiating...but despite my lack of surprise it still saddens me.
We provide a free service and website to allow for each umpire to keep up with his expenses, to the limit of the law, AND free accounting help if needed. Why more orgs don't is beyond us.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 11:58pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlores
well if i have to report my income from baseball and basketball, I can deduct clinic cost, mileage, equipment and all that great stuff cant we?
Yes sir and much, much more.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 12:03am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Sure. That's what schedule C is for. You should still have all the income on Scheduel C.
Not necessarily as we have several groups of umps who work as LLCs
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

In late June, I found in my post office box a letter from the IRS demanding almost $20,000, including penalties and interest. The notice said I had to pay up by August 15 or call to work out a payment schedule. I didn't have my glasses with me, so I had to wait until I got home to read the details. Needless to say, the 15-minute ride back was not a relaxing one.

Had I forgotten to declare my cash pay from that tournament in Pennsylvania?

This document was about 12 double-sided pages long, and it took a while to sift through it. I discovered that they had mistaken $40,000 worth of 1099 forms from 2004 as unreported income for 2005.

So I made copies and attached a letter pointing out their mistake (with big red circles around the "2004" on the 1099s) and a month later received a notice informing me that they had received my paperwork.

Last week, a letter arrived saying, "We have reviewed your case and determined that you do not owe any money at this time."

Last edited by greymule; Fri Oct 26, 2007 at 12:08am.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
Not necessarily as we have several groups of umps who work as LLCs
I loved the part where you contend we provide a "service to the public" and the IRS leaves us alone.

Did you study for this nonsense?
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 12:33am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano
I loved the part where you contend we provide a "service to the public" and the IRS leaves us alone.

Did you study for this nonsense?
Never said that so you tell me. It's your nonsense.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Never said that so you tell me. It's your nonsense.
Fitump:Thgey(IRS) leave us alone b/c we are a service to the public.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 03:11am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano
Fitump:Thgey(IRS) leave us alone b/c we are a service to the public.
The IRS And You

All things in perpective, eh? Cheap trix for cheap pianoplayers now undone.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 04:44am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire
Well, to tell the truth, yes you did say that in a previous post in this thread.

If it was intended as sarcasm, it would have been better to address that than deny reality.
I'll play.
1) It wasn't sarcasm.
2) You took the statement out of context to suit an agenda or
3) If you intended sarcasm, it would have been better to be clear on that than to fudge the reality.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'll play.
1) It wasn't sarcasm.
2) You took the statement out of context to suit an agenda or
3) If you intended sarcasm, it would have been better to be clear on that than to fudge the reality.

Here, complete context, including the errors.

"Thgey leave us alone b/c we are a service to the public. Peese off the wrong park rep, attorney or Mommy and they can change their minds in a humminbird's wingflap."

So, when you said you didn't say that you were:

1) Just foolin' us poor old gullible types.
2) Honestly mistaken.
3) Suffering from amnesia.
4) Violating the 8th Commandment.
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 01:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

"Thgey leave us alone b/c we are a service to the public. Peese off the wrong park rep, attorney or Mommy and they can change their minds in a humminbird's wingflap."

2) Honestly mistaken.
Looks like you got him, Mr. Umpire. Excepting the 8th. #2, #3.

Or #1.
Old Wed Oct 31, 2007, 03:54pm
In Time Out

Quote:

2) Honestly mistaken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interested Ump
Looks like you got him, Mr. Umpire. Excepting the 8th. #2, #3.

Or #1.
A good example of how people read the same sentences and interpret them entirely differently. Then, why not? We hear with different ears too.