The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 14, 2007, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

What is the Point of Playing in the Rain?

MLB ought to be embarrassed for starting tonight's game in Denver.
Old Sun Oct 14, 2007, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Cub42
Nothing should surprise you that you read on here. Again, most of these posters have no clue about travel, scheduling,how to read the radar,and the mighty TV contract
Old Sun Oct 14, 2007, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub42
Nothing should surprise you that you read on here. Again, most of these posters have no clue about travel, scheduling,how to read the radar,and the mighty TV contract
Travel? This is the first of three in Colorado.
Scheduling? There is one freaking series in the national league.
Radar? What is the point of not waiting since the game was a 6pm start in Colorado?

Ah yes, the TV contract and the desire to make sure TBS never has to go head to head with Fox.

Boy, now there is a real bona fide reason to put players at risk of injury and make fans sit through "intermittent rain"?

Maybe the raindrops caused Hallion to blow the call on Matsui in the 5th?

A real showcase of MLB, not.
Old Sun Oct 14, 2007, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Cub42
Let me guess, another veteran of the Over 30 Leagues. I do not want to sound like I am demeaning you, but by your comments it is obvious you have no clue regarding how the decision making process works. As for TH, yes he missed that one, but it took 3 slow motion replays for people to see that he was safe.
Old Sun Oct 14, 2007, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Let me guess, another veteran of the Over 30 Leagues. I do not want to sound like I am demeaning you, but by your comments it is obvious you have no clue regarding how the decision making process works. As for TH, yes he missed that one, but it took 3 slow motion replays for people to see that he was safe.
No.the decision making process is quite simple. Play the game and the fans and players be damned.

It may have taken 3 replays for the TV talking heads.....but not for anyone else paying attention. It was not a close play for a major league umpire.
Old Sun Oct 14, 2007, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancurtin
thankfully you are on my ignore list so i dont have to read this...
I think he's made the ignore list of just about everybody here, myself included. He's just some 12-year-old whining about things of which he has no knowledge, so let him have his fun.
Old Sun Oct 14, 2007, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

This is the entertainment business, disguised as sports. Backing up a seven games series, when there's a possibility of Worlds Series games in Colorado in late October, is really not an option. This is driven by television folks. Ratings, sponsors, and what's on the competitors channel if you postpone your game. i.e. if animals weren't being gathered by twos in the parking lot, play on.

I didn't see any fans complaining, nor many empty seats.
Old Sun Oct 14, 2007, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt
This is the entertainment business, disguised as sports. Backing up a seven games series, when there's a possibility of Worlds Series games in Colorado in late October, is really not an option. This is driven by television folks. Ratings, sponsors, and what's on the competitors channel if you postpone your game. i.e. if animals weren't being gathered by twos in the parking lot, play on.

Well then we have perspective.

It ain't a sport it is a performance.

P.T. Barnum was correct.

It is obvious that the post season in Baseball is now in the backseat behind College and Pro football to the point of playing in the rain.

Pathetic.
Old Mon Oct 15, 2007, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano
Well then we have perspective.

It ain't a sport it is a performance. P.T. Barnum was correct. It is obvious that the post season in Baseball is now in the backseat behind College and Pro football to the point of playing in the rain. Pathetic.
Sorry that this is news to you.
Old Mon Oct 15, 2007, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt

I'm not taking SOMEONE'S side here, but the game could have been played Tuesday between games 4 & 5. Not putting the blame on MLB, because I'm sure they had a reason for letting them play, but this schedule is new this year, so maybe you didn't know about the off day. Backing it up probably could/should not have been an issue.
Old Mon Oct 15, 2007, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Regulars season game the start is delayed. Decision making process is very simple. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
Old Mon Oct 15, 2007, 10:56am
Do not give a damn!!

They would have made money if they played yesterday or today. It was not a downpour last night. It was just a steady light rain. They play because if they wait there other times they would have to play under those conditions. I really do not see this as a big deal. How many times have you had games play on during some rain? I know I have and we did not have the elaborate ground's crew to keep the dirt dry. This really was not a big deal if you ask me.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 15, 2007, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Heck I thought rain in October for Denver was pretty good.

I've been there with 3 feet of snow in the begining of Oct.
Old Mon Oct 15, 2007, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone
Heck I thought rain in October for Denver was pretty good.

I've been there with 3 feet of snow in the begining of Oct.
At least no one got hurt.

And it certainly did not affect the D-Backs. Their offense is non-existent, rain or shine.

And it did not have much of an effect, either, on MLB baseball anemic TV ratings since the NFL game on NBC crushed basbeall.

Which is another reason to postpone a game that does nothing to showcase post peason baseball and move it to a night with out the NFL as competition.
Old Mon Oct 15, 2007, 11:35am

I watched the game. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The rain didn't bother me. It didn't bother the Rockies' fans. It didn't bother the players. It didn't bother the umpires. I had no difficulty flipping back and forth with the NFL game, so I got plenty of bang for my entertainment buck.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25