The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Randy Marsh calling strikes

I know everyone has there own style of calling strikes,but i have never heard strikes called the way Randy Marsh does.At first i thought he was saying Strike one,Strike two but the closer i listen it sounded like (HI HI).
Can anyone tell me what he is saying when calling a strike on a batter?
I think hes a great umpire and just wanted to know what his style is for calling a strike on a batter.
Thank you in advance!!!
twisterdad
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisterdad
I know everyone has there own style of calling strikes,but i have never heard strikes called the way Randy Marsh does.At first i thought he was saying Strike one,Strike two but the closer i listen it sounded like (HI HI).
Can anyone tell me what he is saying when calling a strike on a batter?
I think hes a great umpire and just wanted to know what his style is for calling a strike on a batter.
Thank you in advance!!!
twisterdad
I believe it was more like "Stir-Ri-Ike"
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone
I believe it was more like "Stir-Ri-Ike"
that's funny ...

thanks
David
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Jicecone,
Man i dont know,it sounds more like the same word twice.I am not sure of the word,but he says it twice.I turned the tv up pretty loud so i could try to make it out,and i still say he is saying something like"HI HI" it is two words that sound totally the same.If it was stir-ri-ke you could hear the stir and the ike as two different sounds.
Thanks for the reply!!!
twisterdad
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisterdad
Jicecone,
Man i dont know,it sounds more like the same word twice.I am not sure of the word,but he says it twice.I turned the tv up pretty loud so i could try to make it out,and i still say he is saying something like"HI HI" it is two words that sound totally the same.If it was stir-ri-ke you could hear the stir and the ike as two different sounds.
Thanks for the reply!!!
twisterdad
I also heard the same thing and assumed that was what was said considering how they doctor up the sounds for TV. (Eg. Each pitch has some sound added to it, like the swish of the wind. Maybe it was just my ears though.)
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone
I also heard the same thing and assumed that was what was said considering how they doctor up the sounds for TV. (Eg. Each pitch has some sound added to it, like the swish of the wind. Maybe it was just my ears though.)
Say what?

How in the world can any technology "doctor" sounds in a live event"?

That is called EDTING, but, to do that, it first has to be recorded.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano
Say what?

How in the world can any technology "doctor" sounds in a live event"?

That is called EDTING, but, to do that, it first has to be recorded.
Not true.

They can, for example as the PGA does, direct a microphone to pick up a particular sound. (The swing and impact on tee shots)

They can run that signal through the board and "sweeten" it or alter it in, depending on the technology they are using, thousands of ways. Live. Right now. As it happens.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Not true.

They can, for example as the PGA does, direct a microphone to pick up a particular sound. (The swing and impact on tee shots)

They can run that signal through the board and "sweeten" it or alter it in, depending on the technology they are using, thousands of ways. Live. Right now. As it happens.
Mikes of course can be directed at an audio source, the cup and tee in golf, the net in basketball, etc. But those sounds cannot be alterted on a live broadcast....enhanced in volume,,,but not altered...and certainly no umpire's strike call can be changed to something it is not.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Mikes of course can be directed at an audio source, the cup and tee in golf, the net in basketball, etc. But those sounds cannot be alterted on a live broadcast....enhanced in volume,,,but not altered...and certainly no umpire's strike call can be changed to something it is not.
Oh, my gawd.

You are either living in the 1950's, technologically retarded or purposefully misrepresenting the truth,

Sounds can and often are altered on live broadcasts, in real time. I have seen it first hand as part of my job with a symphony orchestra and I know it to be done in many other situations. It is not difficult to tamper or alter a live sound as it goes through the board.

Some time back the NBA sweetened the sound of the basketball going through the net with a "popping sound" during live broadcasts and he NFL added an impact sound plus a swishing sound to hocky games.

Live broadcasted concerts often have additional tracks added to the live track to give the music that "studio" presence rather than the comparatively thin sound live performances often have.

It would no problem no alter an umpire's verbalization as he makes it. The decision as to what sound to use is made before the broadcast and the line carrying the umpire's voice is fed into a pre set board.

If you don't understand this simple technology, you should step back away from your computer or the magical spirits that make the pictures appear might get angry.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Oh, my gawd.

You are either living in the 1950's, technologically retarded or purposefully misrepresenting the truth,

Sounds can and often are altered on live broadcasts, in real time. I have seen it first hand as part of my job with a symphony orchestra and I know it to be done in many other situations. It is not difficult to tamper or alter a live sound as it goes through the board.

Some time back the NBA sweetened the sound of the basketball going through the net with a "popping sound" during live broadcasts and he NFL added an impact sound plus a swishing sound to hocky games.

Live broadcasted concerts often have additional tracks added to the live track to give the music that "studio" presence rather than the comparatively thin sound live performances often have.

It would no problem no alter an umpire's verbalization as he makes it. The decision as to what sound to use is made before the broadcast and the line carrying the umpire's voice is fed into a pre set board.

If you don't understand this simple technology, you should step back away from your computer or the magical spirits that make the pictures appear might get angry.
I immediately thought of the swishing sound from hockey games. The problem is that Jim believes that 'live' means instantaneous. Not true, of course. Ever see a live broadcast that's been closed captioned?
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp
I immediately thought of the swishing sound from hockey games. The problem is that Jim believes that 'live' means instantaneous. Not true, of course. Ever see a live broadcast that's been closed captioned?
I can do it instaneously as well. I can set a trumpeter on stage in front of a live audience, have him play into a microphone and have the sound of a saxophone come out the speakers....instantaneously.

I can have jimbopyana speak into a microphone and have the sound of a jackass braying come out of the speakers instead of his, no doubt, mellifluous voice.

I can set up a mic to capture the sound of a baseball bat hitting the ball and altering it to a cat screaming, right now, this mini-second, as it occurs, immediately, before the swing is complete.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp
Close captioning is done by feeding the scripts the announcers read to the close captioning video source or by someone actually typing the words they hear.

What that has to do with altering sounds I do not understand.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I can do it instaneously as well. I can set a trumpeter on stage in front of a live audience, have him play into a microphone and have the sound of a saxophone come out the speakers....instantaneously.

I can have jimbopyana speak into a microphone and have the sound of a jackass braying come out of the speakers instead of his, no doubt, mellifluous voice.

I can set up a mic to capture the sound of a baseball bat hitting the ball and altering it to a cat screaming, right now, this mini-second, as it occurs, immediately, before the swing is complete.
Well good for you.

But TV does not change sounds.

And it certainly does not alter the voice of Randy Marsh as he calls strikes.

You may be a bang up audio man for live musicial productions where creativity is part of the artistic process. But sports broadcasts are about giving the viewer the sounds of the game as heard by those in attendance.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

But sports broadcasts are about giving the viewer the sounds of the game as heard by those in attendance.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

But sports broadcasts are about giving the viewer the sounds of the game as heard by those in attendance.

Okay, remember that when you next attend a live basketball game. I'm sure the ball going through the net sounds like a cork popping.

Remember that the next time you attend a PGA event, where each T-shot is accompanied by a loud crescendoing "whoosh".

Remember that the next time you watch a baseball game on FOX. Rest assured that the fans at the park hear all the same identical sounds that come out your television set. Quel imbécile.

Last edited by GarthB; Mon Oct 22, 2007 at 08:48pm.
Closed Thread