The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 26, 2007, 12:51am
Official Forum Member

Illegal slide into Pirates' F6

Latenight ESPN, Pirates F6 is injured in what appeared to be an illegal slide.
Wondering if anyone watching game would care to comment on situation.

Last edited by SAump; Sun Aug 26, 2007 at 09:55am.
Old Sun Aug 26, 2007, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Practically every slide in MLB is illegal in Fed, but how was the slide illegal according to OBR rules?
Old Sun Aug 26, 2007, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

Did you just see lightning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule
Practically every slide in MLB is illegal in Fed, but how was the slide illegal according to OBR rules?
Perhaps, I missed something. From the one latenight replay I managed to see, it appeared the runners toes made contact with {standing} shortstop right below his knee. I also thought it occurred past the 2B bag. I understand the runner's right to break up a DP safely. But metal spikes are dangerous and the runner had no business breaking up a DP the way he did. IMHO, the runner carries a responsibility not to injure the guy while sliding; as he does not showing up a guy while running the bases after hitting a HR. I was hoping to read more info about the play from someone who saw more than my quick glance at the TV. Perhaps, I may be exaggerating what I saw and I realize someone else may either agree or disagree with my quick assessment.

Last edited by SAump; Sun Aug 26, 2007 at 06:27pm.
Old Sun Aug 26, 2007, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

Why do they allow a player to shoulder check the catcher in the MLB? This is intent to interfere with a thrown ball. Jaska and Roder's manual would call this interference, and the runner would be out because the runner made an intentional act that was not designed to reach and stay on a base safely, but rather to interfere with the play.
Old Sun Aug 26, 2007, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
Why do they allow a player to shoulder check the catcher in the MLB? This is intent to interfere with a thrown ball. Jaska and Roder's manual would call this interference, and the runner would be out because the runner made an intentional act that was not designed to reach and stay on a base safely, but rather to interfere with the play.
Because these "checks" are interpreted by the umpires as legitimate attempts to reach the plate. If the umpire judges that the runners sole purpose is to dislodge the ball... then int would be called.

Last edited by ctblu40; Sun Aug 26, 2007 at 07:56pm.
Old Sun Aug 26, 2007, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

it appeared the runners toes made contact with {standing} shortstop right below his knee. I also thought it occurred past the 2B bag.

These facts are highly relevant under Fed and other codes. But they have no bearing in OBR. Rightly or wrongly, things like these are handled by the players, not the umpires.

Earlier this season, Josh Phelps of the Yankees, with a clear path to home plate and the ball still in the air, deliberately went out of his way to crash the Mariners' catcher, who was set up out in front of the plate. In no way did Phelps have to go through the catcher to reach home. The only call was safe. But Phelps was plunked the next time he came up.

What Phelps did was dirty, but it was not illegal under OBR rules.

But metal spikes are dangerous and the runner had no business breaking up a DP the way he did. IMHO, the runner carries a responsibility not to injure the guy while sliding; as he does not showing up a guy while running the bases after hitting a HR.

Admiral sentiments no doubt, but irrelevant to OBR rules.

Last edited by greymule; Sun Aug 26, 2007 at 07:56pm.
Old Sun Aug 26, 2007, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
Perhaps, I missed something. From the one latenight replay I managed to see, it appeared the runners toes made contact with {standing} shortstop right below his knee. I also thought it occurred past the 2B bag. I understand the runner's right to break up a DP safely. But metal spikes are dangerous and the runner had no business breaking up a DP the way he did. IMHO, the runner carries a responsibility not to injure the guy while sliding; as he does not showing up a guy while running the bases after hitting a HR.
The vision of Ty Cobb sharpening his spikes on the bench comes to mind.
Old Wed Aug 29, 2007, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctblu40
Because these "checks" are interpreted by the umpires as legitimate attempts to reach the plate. If the umpire judges that the runners sole purpose is to dislodge the ball... then int would be called.
It's not called because it's great theater! The fans love it. It makes for great highlights. It's never going to go away or be banned from MLB because it is engrained in the culture of the game. It is allowed and everybody knows it.

If the catcher is blocking the plate (which they always are to some degree), then it's open season on the catcher. I'm not even so sure that the catcher has to be blocking the plate. It's simply not called and that's the way it is.

For the same reason, you'll never see anything like the Force Play Slide Rule in MLB. Again - it's great theater! We like watching the middle infielder have to do acrobatics to avoid getting his clock cleaned by the runner. We like it when the middle infielder disregards the R1 and throws the ball right for his head.

Have you ever wondered why there are not harsher penalties for fighting in hockey?

Same reason!

The fans love it.

That won't be going away any time soon, either.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN
Old Wed Aug 29, 2007, 01:07am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
Theater, great theater.