The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
It's Why We Call Them Rats......

During the first inning of the Ohio ~vs~ Georgia game tonight an Ohio batter fouls a ball off of his leg. After attending to his player who looked to be overreacting, the coach is heard on his mic coaching the kid on being sure to not let a fastball get by him when he gets back in the box. Umpire says it's time to get the game moving, to which coach rat responds rather rudely:

"Hey, he's hurt. I'm just checking on him!"

Tim.
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Bassman
Just like all coaches/players know the rules cover to cover.

(If you buy that, there's a bridge over in Brooklyn I wanna sell ya )
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
During the first inning of the Ohio ~vs~ Georgia game tonight an Ohio batter fouls a ball off of his leg. After attending to his player who looked to be overreacting, the coach is heard on his mic coaching the kid on being sure to not let a fastball get by him when he gets back in the box. Umpire says it's time to get the game moving, to which coach rat responds rather rudely:

"Hey, he's hurt. I'm just checking on him!"

Tim.

" . . . who looked to be overreacting . . . "

Is that one of those famous judgement calls?

It takes two seconds on my wristwatch to say "Don't let a fastball get by you."

Get pushy (the coach's opinion - a judgement call on his end), get a "rude" response.
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives

Get pushy (the coach's opinion - a judgement call on his end), get a "rude" response.

I've come to expect no less from you, Rich. To a rat the game management tool of keeping the game moving along is getting pushy. Unless, of course, it's his team waiting on the field for the opposing coach to get his player back in the box.

Tim.
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
I've come to expect no less from you, Rich. To a rat the game management tool of keeping the game moving along is getting pushy. Unless, of course, it's his team waiting on the field for the opposing coach to get his player back in the box.

Tim.

There are two sides to every story Tim. No one has a lock on which side is correct.

I don't care how long the opposing coach takes to get his player back in the box - it gives my pitcher a breather.
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There are two sides to every story Tim. No one has a lock on which side is correct.

I don't care how long the opposing coach takes to get his player back in the box - it gives my pitcher a breather.
Hmmm. Most coaches I know are more concerned about their pitcher keeping his rhythm intact and are pretty quick to get on the defense for BS delays.

The Rat claimed to be checking his hurt kid when, in fact, he was coaching him on his at bat. You seem to either overlook that behavior, or lying has become so common in coaching that it doesn't bother you.
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Spoken like a true coach, Rich. But I'm going to move you along when you start coaching. And if you get cockey, I'm going to put you in your place.

But if you do an injury visit on your pitcher, now I have a rule to et you moving along if you start coaching!
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
Spoken like a true coach, Rich. But I'm going to move you along when you start coaching. And if you get cockey, I'm going to put you in your place.

But if you do an injury visit on your pitcher, now I have a rule to et you moving along if you start coaching!
And the umpire's manual dictates that I be standing there with you to make sure you are not tending to issues other than the injury. Once the conversation chagnes course, we're through and we're playing ball. If you want to keep talking to him, then we have a charged time out.

With the batter sitch mentioned - if I hear the "coaching" I'm moving you along, and if I get the "I'm checking on my player, he's hurt" comment I'm going to ask "What does not letting a fastball get by him have to do with his injury?" I see no issue with a comment as you walk away -after all it only takes two seconds - but during the injury time out, we need to be tending to the injury.

We could tell players to "get hurt" so we can come talk to them. Hey that works, fake an injury, I'll come tell PU that I'm tending to your injury and I can tell you to drag bunt down the 3BL, F5 is playing very deep. We could have a sign for that - hat = steal, chin = bunt, belt to cheek = get hurt.

I went off the deep end, but we have to draw a line somewhere or else it will get to that. Discussion leads away from the injury looks like a good line to me.
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 09:25pm

How about the rat for Maryland that kept on questioning the strike zone by asking his catcher, "where are those pitches missing? In? Out?," and then the kid shrugging his shoulders as if to say, "search me, coach. The umpire just missed them."

The real problem was that Arizona was pounding everything that was in the strike zone, so the umpire didn't have a chance to call many strikes. The rest of the pitches were off the plate, and Minnesota's manager just kept blaming the umpire 'cause his little rugrat couldn't hit the corners.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
How about the rat for Maryland that kept on questioning the strike zone by asking his catcher, "where are those pitches missing? In? Out?," and then the kid shrugging his shoulders as if to say, "search me, coach. The umpire just missed them."

The real problem was that Arizona was pounding everything that was in the strike zone, so the umpire didn't have a chance to call many strikes. The rest of the pitches were off the plate, and Minnesota's manager just kept blaming the umpire 'cause his little rugrat couldn't hit the corners.
Welcome back Steve.
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 09:53pm

Thanks, good to be back.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB

The Rat claimed to be checking his hurt kid when, in fact, he was coaching him on his at bat. You seem to either overlook that behavior, or lying has become so common in coaching that it doesn't bother you.

Where's the lie Garth, did you miss this part?

an Ohio batter fouls a ball off of his leg.

Or did the kid foul the ball off his leg on purpose because he wanted the coach to come coach him?

Fouling a ball off your leg hurts. Hell, Jermaine Dye had his leg broken by such a hit. Maybe you think a 12-year old kid should "act like a man"? CRAP - he's 12.

Yet somehow, after attending to the kid, saying "Don't let the fastball by you" as you prepare to return to the dugout makes you a lying rat.

You're wrong. Tim's wrong.
Old Sun Aug 19, 2007, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

watched this game--in bw catnaps

just like a rat to sneak in some 'coaching' during a injurty check--and then get snippy on TV when hes' called on it. your ratness has skewered your fairness sense mr Ives!
It's sad when you're at a baseball game and realize that you'll never have the money, status or talent that the guys on the field take for granted. And it gets even worse when the grounds crew gives way to the players.
Old Sun Aug 19, 2007, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Where's the lie Garth, did you miss this part?

an Ohio batter fouls a ball off of his leg.

Or did the kid foul the ball off his leg on purpose because he wanted the coach to come coach him?

Fouling a ball off your leg hurts. Hell, Jermaine Dye had his leg broken by such a hit. Maybe you think a 12-year old kid should "act like a man"? CRAP - he's 12.

Yet somehow, after attending to the kid, saying "Don't let the fastball by you" as you prepare to return to the dugout makes you a lying rat.

You're wrong. Tim's wrong.
Rich,

I didn't see the play, but from the OP, the coach finished tending to the injury and continued to hang around as though he were tending to the injury while offering hitting advice to his player.

I believe Garth is correctly suggesting that the lie occurred when the coach moved from medic to coach, but suggested he was still a medic by saying, "Hey, he's hurt. I'm just checking on him!" The coach's statement wasn't true: He wasn't just checking on him, he was also coaching him.

No one has suggested the foul ball on the leg didn't hurt. What has been suggested is that coaches who are tending to medical issues shouldn't offer game strategy/advice regardles of how much time it takes to do so. If a coach does that he has moved from an injury time out to an offensive or defensive time out. I don't see any difference between the batter's injury and a pitcher's injury in this regard.
Old Sun Aug 19, 2007, 01:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Just wanted to interject here that Little League rules limit the offense to one time-out per inning. So the fact that this coach was using an injury time-out as an opportunity to coach his player without taking a charged time-out gave him an unfair advantage not intended by the rules.