The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 07, 2007, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

A-Rod

Alex Rodriguez got plunked with a fastball in tonight's Bluejays/Yankees game. He sure deserved it, especially after the bush league play he pulled in late May when he yelled "mine" while running the bases. I would've said hit the jerk harder, and take him out of the lineup for 4 or 5 days. Nobody who makes that much money should get away with making such a bad move.

To see the incident, go to:
http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/news....jsp&team=home

On the box score, click the "3" in the top of the third inning column. Fast forward 10 minutes. I thought the umpires handled the situation very well, by issuing warnings to both benches after the incident, and later ejecting Clemens when he (once again) threw at a batter intentionally.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
Alex Rodriguez got plunked with a fastball in tonight's Bluejays/Yankees game. He sure deserved it, especially after the bush league play he pulled in late May when he yelled "mine" while running the bases. I would've said hit the jerk harder, and take him out of the lineup for 4 or 5 days. Nobody who makes that much money should get away with making such a bad move.

To see the incident, go to:
http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/news....jsp&team=home

On the box score, click the "3" in the top of the third inning column. Fast forward 10 minutes. I thought the umpires handled the situation very well, by issuing warnings to both benches after the incident, and later ejecting Clemens when he (once again) threw at a batter intentionally.
You don't get it.

He got his payback hit in the first game of the series on Monday and no one complained.

But no

The Jays decided that he didn't get hit well enough on Monday so they hit him again on Tuesday. It was the second payback pitch that got everyone upset. Once is OK. Twice is not.

Roger took care of that later in the game and everyone understood it - and no bench-emptying event happened on that one.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

From what I saw last night on ESPN, I thought the Toronto pitcher should have been tossed. And not for just plunking Rodriguez, it was the action after. Rodriguez stands at the plate, the pitcher advances significantly toward him and appears to be challenging Rod to do something about it. After that get clears up, and some more jawing occurs, the pitcher agains advances toward Rod at 1st base and appears to be challenging him yet again. Sorry, but somebody who appears to be inciting a fight should be leaving early in my book.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L
From what I saw last night on ESPN, I thought the Toronto pitcher should have been tossed. And not for just plunking Rodriguez, it was the action after. Rodriguez stands at the plate,
No. Rodriquez, bat in hand takes a few steps toward the mound saying something to the pitcher.

Quote:
the pitcher advances significantly toward him and appears to be challenging Rod to do something about it.
The pitcher at first makes a normal after-delivery move in front of the mound, then, hearing Rodriquez, takes a couple of steps towards him, points to first and tells him to "just get your *** to first."

Quote:
After that get clears up, and some more jawing occurs, the pitcher agains advances toward Rod at 1st base
Not according to the video.

The pitcher makes another comment towards Rodriquez who then is the one who advances and has to be restrained.

Quote:
Sorry, but somebody who appears to be inciting a fight should be leaving early in my book.
This is big boy ball. It was handled well by the umpires.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

You are correct, this is big boy ball, and perhaps that's the way MLB wants situations to be handled. But I really suggest you look at the videos and see where the altercations occurred. Rodriguez was barely out of the box, the pitcher advanced almost all the way to the plate. See that big crowd of people right in front of the plate? Now admittedly, Rodriguez gets restrained by his coach at first on the second incident, but again, see that big crowd of people at first? It was the pitcher he advanced and created the problems.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You are correct, this is big boy ball, and perhaps that's the way MLB wants situations to be handled. But I really suggest you look at the videos and see where the altercations occurred.Rodriguez was barely out of the box, the pitcher advanced almost all the way to the plate.
Are we looking at the same video? Rodriquez, BAT IN HAND, begins to move toward the mound, mouthing something. The pitcher reacts to Rodriquez and tells him to get his a$$ to first.

Quote:
Now admittedly, Rodriguez gets restrained by his coach at first on the second incident, but again, see that big crowd of people at first? It was the pitcher he advanced and created the problems.
Again, from this video and the newscast later, the pitcher is on the mound giving Rodriquez some lip. In the close up you can see Rodriquez say "Are you talking to me?" as HE initiates the advance and is restrained.

That big crowd at first is there because Rodriquez is there. Notice they are not at the mound restraining the pitcher.

This much ado about nothing. These guys will deal with this. But Rodriquez is not an innocent. The sad thing is that after the current lying and cheating douchebag home run "king" loses his crown, it will probably be to another lying cheating douchebag, Rodriquez.

Last edited by GarthB; Wed Aug 08, 2007 at 03:59pm.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
... and the logic is...

Hey-Rod, when you stop yelling at guys catching fly balls right near you--you won't get plunked.

Think the Jays forgot about it?

I remember the Yankee faithful defending their star when that incident happened:

"It's part of the game"

"He didn't distract anybody."

"A-Rod is a class act."

I think Garth used the term douchebag. Aptly put.

Ace
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
it will probably be to another lying cheating douchebag, Rodriquez.
Sorry Garth, I had to correct you!!!!!

lying cheating crying whinning douchebag, Rodriquez
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceholleran
Hey-Rod, when you stop yelling at guys catching fly balls right near you--you won't get plunked.

Ace

Once is fair game - and it happened Monday.

Twice isn't. The Tuesday plunk (the one being discussed) was wrong.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives
The Jays decided that he didn't get hit well enough on Monday so they hit him again on Tuesday. It was the second payback pitch that got everyone upset. Once is OK. Twice is not.
Rules citation please.

I think what is considered a sufficient payback is determined by the offended party.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You are correct, this is big boy ball, and perhaps that's the way MLB wants situations to be handled. But I really suggest you look at the videos and see where the altercations occurred. Rodriguez was barely out of the box, the pitcher advanced almost all the way to the plate. See that big crowd of people right in front of the plate? Now admittedly, Rodriguez gets restrained by his coach at first on the second incident, but again, see that big crowd of people at first? It was the pitcher he advanced and created the problems.
You sure you're not looking at a replay of Monday's? Every replay I've seen of the recent one is nothing like what you describe here.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO ump
Rules citation please.
It's right there in the section about payback.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder
It's right there in the section about payback.
Unfortunately MLB and most other leagues want to eliminate this very valuable section.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't see the "I got it" play when it happened. They showed it tonight on ESPN. it seemed obvious that he interferred with the play. Did they call hin out for INT? I would hope so.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

your kidding, right??? no verbal interferance in the bigs, mr Blue