The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

This isn't the first time that Analrod has decided to whine and pick fights with other teams. He may be a steroid-taking, overpaid, naturally talented star, but that does not give him the right to pull bush league plays or whine when people get payback on him for doing it. I cannot recall a baserunner ever yelling "mine" or even "hah!" while on the bases. He did something exceptionally stupid, and being a multi-million dollar player, he deserves even more fastballs at the hands and elbow than your average MLB player.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 08:16pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
This isn't the first time that Analrod has decided to whine and pick fights with other teams. He may be a steroid-taking, overpaid, naturally talented star, but that does not give him the right to pull bush league plays or whine when people get payback on him for doing it. I cannot recall a baserunner ever yelling "mine" or even "hah!" while on the bases. He did something exceptionally stupid, and being a multi-million dollar player, he deserves even more fastballs at the hands and elbow than your average MLB player.
I surmise you don't like him.

Btw, why no O Int for his bush league actions?
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpLarryJohnson
your kidding, right??? no verbal interferance in the bigs, mr Blue
No I'm not kidding. My knowledge of the rules, though far from superior, will hold up in most cases, including this one.

OBR 2.00 - Interference (a) Offensive Interferences is an act by the team at bat which interferes with, obstructs, impedes, hinders, or confuses any fielder attempting to make a play.

What part of that means I "don't have verbal INT in the Bigs?"

The sitch looked like it impeded, hindered AND confused F5 trying to make a play (IE catch the ball).

7.08 Any runner is out when...(b) He intentionally interferes with a thrown ball; or hinders a fielder attempting to make a play on a batted ball.

What am I missing? It was obvious intent (you don't normally run the bases hollering "I've got it") -so it meets 7.08, and it obviously confused F5 so it meets the definition in 2.00. According to the OBR that I'm reading, I've got an out. Plain and simple. OBR is used in the Bigs, so why not have INT on this play?

So I ask again, did they call him out for INT?
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

I'll help clear things up, as Larry Johnson is a smart *** who is probably giving you the interpretation from word of mouth. However the fact is that interference cannot be verbal. It's stupid that that kind of thing isn't covered in the Official Baseball Rules. However it is mentioned in "The Rules of Professional Baseball", which if you haven't heard of it, is a book by Jacksa and Roeder that covers stuff that is not covered in the official rulebook. The umpires did not rule Rodriguez out, because the interpretation of 7.08b is that interference cannot be verbal. I doubt that Larry Johnson has or is smart enough to read Jacksa and Roeder's manual, but he is correct in this case.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInBlue
So I ask again, did they call him out for INT?
No. Major League baseball does not interpret the rule as you do. There is no verbal interference at this time in MLB.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO ump
Rules citation please.

I think what is considered a sufficient payback is determined by the offended party.

Another person with no clue - great.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Now that makes sense. The interpretation does not include verbal INT. That's the kind of explanation that sinks in. JEA and PBUC do not reference anything verbal (that I could find) which still leads me to my original conclusion, in my own strange thought pattern. Although its omission may be an indicator that it "doesn't exist." However, I shall accept these explanations and accept that the JR makes reference to it.

Thanks, guys.
Old Thu Aug 09, 2007, 01:36am

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
I'll help clear things up, as Larry Johnson is a smart *** who is probably giving you the interpretation from word of mouth. However the fact is that interference cannot be verbal. It's stupid that that kind of thing isn't covered in the Official Baseball Rules. However it is mentioned in "The Rules of Professional Baseball", which if you haven't heard of it, is a book by Jacksa and Roeder that covers stuff that is not covered in the official rulebook. The umpires did not rule Rodriguez out, because the interpretation of 7.08b is that interference cannot be verbal. I doubt that Larry Johnson has or is smart enough to read Jacksa and Roeder's manual, but he is correct in this case.
Do you mean "Jaska and Roder?"

You shouldn't go around calling other people stupid. You sure didn't like it when everyone here said that about you, did you?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Aug 09, 2007, 03:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
No Steve, I believe he meant Jaksa and Roder.
Old Thu Aug 09, 2007, 06:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Rules citation please.

I think what is considered a sufficient payback is determined by the offended party.
Let's not get ridiculous here, CO ump! You want a rules quote? Here, read it.....

OBR 8.02(d) Intentionally Pitch at the Batter.

If, in the umpire’s judgment, such a violation occurs, the umpire may elect either to:

1. Expel the pitcher, or the manager and the pitcher, from the game, or
2. may warn the pitcher and the manager of both teams that another such pitch will result in the immediate expulsion of that pitcher (or a replacement) and the manager.
If, in the umpire’s judgment, circumstances warrant, both teams may be officially “warned” prior to the game or at any time during the game.
(League Presidents may take additional action under authority provided in Rule 9.05.)

Rule 8.02(d) Comment: To pitch at a batter’s head is unsportsmanlike and highly dangerous. It should be—and is—condemned by everybody. Umpires should act without hesitation in enforcement of this rule.

And that is what and how you enforce it in amateur baseball - to the letter!

But in professional ball, there is retaliation. There are no guidelines as to "how many times you can get satisfaction and when it is enough". You get it when you are done and and if you go too far, you'd better expect it to come back at you, ten fold!

That's your "rule", hope that you learned from it!
Old Thu Aug 09, 2007, 08:37am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigD
No Steve, I believe he meant Jaksa and Roder.
Well color me idiotic.

I have it sitting in front of me and can't get it right.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Aug 09, 2007, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve

You shouldn't go around calling other people stupid. You sure didn't like it when everyone here said that about you, did you?
its ok mr Steve. aparently mr Ump6 can insult folks who werent' even adresing him all he wants where any post in which imay defend myself is deleted right away!! but thatsfine, we know where weall stand here, at least

i kinda had taken a shine tothe young man since he hada good time at the Coopers Town park and all but ibeen turned on and bitten instead lol learned my lesson thats for sure. just to keep it on a umping level yes mr Ump6 i know about J--Rs book and so on, thankyou for your kind attention to that issue.

i wasa bit harsh in my answer to mr Blue and i apoligize for that. im sorry i did that.
Old Thu Aug 09, 2007, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives
Another person with no clue - great.
Apparently Toronto didn't read the Rich Ives book of paybacks as short, simplistic and unimaginative as it was.
Old Thu Aug 09, 2007, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
Let's not get ridiculous here, CO ump! You want a rules quote? Here, read it.....
Ozzy,
I'm new on this board so I apologize if no one uses sarcasm, I don't mean to be a trailblazer.

Rich had said 1 intentional HBP was proper payback, 2 crossed the line.
I was sarcastically asking for the rules citation that said you can't hit a guy twice for payback.
Old Thu Aug 09, 2007, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Apparently Toronto didn't read the Rich Ives book of paybacks as short, simplistic and unimaginative as it was.
It isn't MY payback book.

Apparently you didn't notice that the Monday plunk was "accepted". It was the Tuesday plunk that was judged as being over the line.

If you're going to umpire grown-up ball you'd better learn the unwritten part of the game.

And perhaps you should use the wink to show you're kidding.

Last edited by Rich Ives; Thu Aug 09, 2007 at 01:49pm.