Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 05, 2007, 12:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone
Rut , however you validate your acceptance on ANY athlete, and possibly yourself ,to take performance enhancements is your perogative.
Most supplements or any drug is a performance enchancer whether we want to admit it or not. If I did not take Advil the next day after working too many games one day, I would not be able to work the next day. And I know I use that drug very few times as compared to many officials that use many other types of similar drugs to help them continue to officiate. I am in my mid-30s, the older someone gets the harder it is for them to typically recover from stressful physical activity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone
I have never had to convince myself or my body that it was necessary in ANY sport or atheletic event I participated in. IMO there is still a majority that feel the same way and will never accept those that do.

Just my opinion.
I really do not know what that means. I was trying to find something that allowed me to not be in a lot of pain the next day after a hard workout. My position has nothing to do with turning the other cheek. Actually, I do not see why we think that individuals that train year-round and have million dollars at stake, are not just better athletes and better prepared. I hear people say "Hank did it the right way." Well what is the right way? So Hank likely most of his career had to get another job because he probably did not make a lot of money during most of his career to just play baseball. Players did not have access to video tape of every game like they do today. I just find it interesting that we want to assume someone cannot do something that players of a different time did. If Mickey Mantle did not spend most of his career womanizing and getting drunk every other day, he might have been able to last longer in his career. I am sure Mickey like other players could have broken these records if they took better care of themselves on a daily basis.

Peace
Old Sun Aug 05, 2007, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Most supplements or any drug is a performance enchancer whether we want to admit it or not.
Peace
Jeff:

"Performance enhancing" is a specific category of drugs to which advil and asprin do not belong. It is not a general term that one can just apply to any drug or medication. Words have meanings and when they are used outside of their meanings it clouds communication.

The more I see of Barry's steriod bloated head and body, the more I am impressed with Babe Ruth who, according to him, hit some of his homers under the influence of a performance "inhibiting" drug: alcohol, which tends to slow reactions, confuse time, and blur vision.
Old Sun Aug 05, 2007, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
The more I see of Barry's steriod bloated head and body, the more I am impressed with Babe Ruth who, according to him, hit some of his homers under the influence of a performance "inhibiting" drug: alcohol, which tends to slow reactions, confuse time, and blur vision.
he also did it on hot dogs

Old Sun Aug 05, 2007, 01:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Jeff:

"Performance enhancing" is a specific category of drugs to which advil and asprin do not belong. It is not a general term that one can just apply to any drug or medication. Words have meanings and when they are used outside of their meanings it clouds communication.

Garth,

The last time I checked how bloated you are usually is not a very good judge of someone using steroids. And if how bloated you look as a result of steroids, then we all need to admit to taking something because most officials I know are very bloated and do not look like they did 10 or 20 years ago. And I will say this again. Babe Ruth did not play against all of the day's best players either. Neither did many of the players we so revere.

Peace
Old Sun Aug 05, 2007, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

I couldn't care less if Bonds took roids or not.

I don't like him because he's a jerk.

Nike and Adidas don't sponsor him because of it, so he gets his gear from Fila. Fila is an Italian tennis wear company that was big in the 80's.

Do you see him doing commercials for anybody? No, because he's a dope. Who else put his own image on his sweatbands when he's in the minors?

Don't hate this guy because of what he may, of may not have shot into his butt. Hate him because he's a bad ambassador to baseball.
Old Sun Aug 05, 2007, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Human Growth Hormone (HGH) is another possible culprit in the ever-expanding hat size of one Barry Bonds.
I'll give you one good reason to dislike Bonds: Several years ago, when MLB players went on strike, he was a$$ enough to go to court to ask for his child support to be either suspended or reduced. How nice. You make God-knows-how much a year, but you can't support your children because you're on strike. 7-11 was hiring, Barry......
Old Sun Aug 05, 2007, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Come talk to me when you account for all these things.
No one in the history of sports had the kind of years Barry had at a late age. All you need to do is look at the pictures from Barry when he was in Pittsburgh and then take a look at the ones when he was in SF.

We do not need actual proof. We need "beyond a reasonable doubt" and I think we can all say that "beyond a reasonable doubt" Barry took the juice.

It's not just Barry. Jason Giambi, Ken Camanitti won the MVP on the juice.

MLB and Bud need to take a "hit" for this. They turned their "eyes" away because baseball was on the "down side" after they cancelled the World Series and Sammy and Mark brought the fans back.

If you have kids while you might not actually catch them doing drugs, as a parent you know they are doing it. Their personality changes etc. When they come in the house you can see it in their eyes etc. The difference is you as a parent can have them tested and find out.

One does not need actual "proof" to know something is wrong.

MLB and the Players Union did nothing about steroids when they had the chance. It wasn't until MLB got embarassed on TV with their "weak" policy that Bud and MLB did something about it.

Here's my problem with Bud. It's time to put an end to this investigation, admit that MLB made a mistake and move forward just like football did when steroids were rampant in football.

FWIW if AROD stays healthy he will break Barry's record anyway.

Pete Booth
Old Sun Aug 05, 2007, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Don't ask, don't tell

Has anyone else been suspended or punished for buying steroids through U.S. pharmeceutical company records? Jason Grimsley, Gary Mathews, and many other professional athletes received banned substances through the mail. Some players were using false names and phony Dr. prescriptions; which in my book is far more reprehensible. All we know is that Jason went down and Gary was slapped on the wrist. With evidence from ONE multi-million dollar business alone, I guess steroid use only matters when records are broken and people take notice. Who's next?

Last edited by SAump; Sun Aug 05, 2007 at 06:22pm.
Old Sun Aug 05, 2007, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Secondly I always love how people can always find fault in certain people but not in others. The Duke case was not the only case in our country where players of a university were accused of something to only have the charges dropped. If the players were the football team and the composition of the players were from a poorer or more intercity background, those kids would have gone to trial at the very least and there would be no lawyer being disbarred. I know a lawyer that is the State's Attorney in my back yard over that was in charge during a murder case that were a conviction was over turned and the police and the lawyers were accused of some misconduct. Then this lawyer even ran for Governor and is still in his State's Attorney role today. I guess if you change the "players" then our outrage drastically changes.

Peace
It wouldn't have mattered if the Duke players were poor and black, because, now understand this--there was no evidence to support the charges brought by a rogue prosecutor who was hell bent on winning re-election. The whole thing was trumped up from the beginning.

And as far as race-baiting Sharpton, I've got two words for that: "Tawana Brawley."
Old Sun Aug 05, 2007, 07:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25
It wouldn't have mattered if the Duke players were poor and black, because, now understand this--there was no evidence to support the charges brought by a rogue prosecutor who was hell bent on winning re-election. The whole thing was trumped up from the beginning.

And as far as race-baiting Sharpton, I've got two words for that: "Tawana Brawley."
When racism goes away, Sharpton and others like him will go away. If you do not want to hear for Sharpton anymore, then fix the problems this country has with issues of race instead of acting like everything is OK because slavery and Jim Crow are now over.

This will be my last talk in this thread about that topic.

I would also like to make the point, that as far as I know not a single African-American said anything in this thread about race. So who is playing the "race-card" now? In all the things I saw last night, I did not hear of anyone talk about race at all. And since Bonds does not talk to the media, not sure when you mentioned this either.

Peace
Old Sun Aug 05, 2007, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
No one in the history of sports had the kind of years Barry had at a late age. All you need to do is look at the pictures from Barry when he was in Pittsburgh and then take a look at the ones when he was in SF.

We do not need actual proof. We need "beyond a reasonable doubt" and I think we can all say that "beyond a reasonable doubt" Barry took the juice.

It's not just Barry. Jason Giambi, Ken Camanitti won the MVP on the juice.

MLB and Bud need to take a "hit" for this. They turned their "eyes" away because baseball was on the "down side" after they cancelled the World Series and Sammy and Mark brought the fans back.

If you have kids while you might not actually catch them doing drugs, as a parent you know they are doing it. Their personality changes etc. When they come in the house you can see it in their eyes etc. The difference is you as a parent can have them tested and find out.

One does not need actual "proof" to know something is wrong.

MLB and the Players Union did nothing about steroids when they had the chance. It wasn't until MLB got embarassed on TV with their "weak" policy that Bud and MLB did something about it.

Here's my problem with Bud. It's time to put an end to this investigation, admit that MLB made a mistake and move forward just like football did when steroids were rampant in football.

FWIW if AROD stays healthy he will break Barry's record anyway.

Pete Booth
You menton Mark McGuire like he didn't juice. It's funny that as you look at his stats he hits 70 & 65 and then the questions started - then his numbers drop back to the 30's and 20's. If it is ever proven Barry juiced then deal with it - until then? I'm not going to worry with it.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Sun Aug 05, 2007, 07:45pm
In Time Out

That would be Michael Irvin. The Cowboys play and practice in Irving.
Old Sun Aug 05, 2007, 08:03pm

Michael "that ain't my crack pipe" Irvin?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Aug 05, 2007, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Garth,

The last time I checked how bloated you are usually is not a very good judge of someone using steroids. And if how bloated you look as a result of steroids, then we all need to admit to taking something because most officials I know are very bloated and do not look like they did 10 or 20 years ago.
ive umpired with some guys who probably didnt look the same 10 or 20 years ago...but the bloat isnt in their heads and they dont currently wear an 8 5/8 size hat. if the average human head weighs 8 pounds, hes gotta be close to 13-14 pounds.
Old Sun Aug 05, 2007, 10:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancurtin
ive umpired with some guys who probably didnt look the same 10 or 20 years ago...but the bloat isnt in their heads and they dont currently wear an 8 5/8 size hat. if the average human head weighs 8 pounds, hes gotta be close to 13-14 pounds.
Did you see Kirby Puckett before he died? I think his head got larger and it was not steroids that did it. I would think there is a better way to know if someone is using a drug other than hat size.

Peace
Closed Thread