Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 04, 2007, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Bud Selig

I know that Bud is pi$$ed because he had to attend the games where Barry Bonds ties and passes Hank Aaron - but his actions tonight were uncalled for and very unprofessional. Barry hit the HR and he has now tied the record. No applause? Turned down the request by ESPN to make a statement in the booth? Hey Bud, you're the freaking commissioner! Grow some stones and act like you are in charge. He could have made some sort of statement about it being a great night for Barry Bonds, his family and the Giant organization. Yes, I'm sure Barry shot up . . . but he has the record - whether or not you agree with his method, he has the record. Selig was out of line in my humble opinion.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Sat Aug 04, 2007, 11:01pm

He didn't have to attend the games, he has chosen to. Selig was under no obligation to show up. His showing up is more than I thought would happen. You don't see Hank anywhere.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Aug 04, 2007, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

The last Great Commissioner was A. Bartlett Giamatti. Fay Vincent held his own especially on the Pete Rose issue. MLB needs someone who can be the face of the game and who can uphold the dignity of the game. Selig has just been asleep at the wheel for tooooo long.

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Sat Aug 04, 2007, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." -
-- Martin Luther King Jr.

Barry Bonds has fulfilled King's dream. He is being judged by the content of his character, that lying, cheating douchebag.
Old Sat Aug 04, 2007, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcblue13
The last Great Commissioner was A. Bartlett Giamatti. Fay Vincent held his own especially on the Pete Rose issue. MLB needs someone who can be the face of the game and who can uphold the dignity of the game. Selig has just been asleep at the wheel for tooooo long.
Selig's not asleep, he's just still in the pockets of his fellow owners....
Old Sat Aug 04, 2007, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmets
Selig's not asleep, he's just still in the pockets of his fellow owners....
That's true but the Commissioner works for the owners anyway. He has always been their hired gun, so to speak. If a commissioner raised too much guff against the owners' league policies, he wouldn't be commissioner for too long. I just think that Bud doesn't do anything for the game of baseball.

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Sat Aug 04, 2007, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Anything positive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcblue13
I just think that Bud doesn't do anything for the game of baseball.
Salary caps?
Six Division titles?
Important All-Star game?
Wildcard {aka 2nd place} team?
World Series home field advantage decided by July?
or
Allowing the Red Sox to pay $51 million to talk to someone?

Last edited by SAump; Sun Aug 05, 2007 at 12:11am.
Old Sat Aug 04, 2007, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

Absolve the Chicago 8, forgive Pete Rose and then I'll give a rat's behind about a steroid enhanced record breaker! At least those people did it on their own!
Old Sun Aug 05, 2007, 12:43am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
He didn't have to attend the games, he has chosen to. Selig was under no obligation to show up. His showing up is more than I thought would happen. You don't see Hank anywhere.
Selig had to show up, grow up Supie! then he did what was right. He ignored that cheating a$$hole Bonds and Aaron, who had a choice, did the right thing. Flipped him off too.
Old Sun Aug 05, 2007, 01:14am
Do not give a damn!!

The bottom line is when you prove something about Barry. I will buy all that crap. Until then, it is a record. Barry Bonds has broken it. And the last time I checked steroids were not an illegal substance. I guess we should put an asterisk on all the other records when Blacks were not allowed to play until Jackie Robinson was given an opportunity. Or what about all these new parks where the fences were moved in to help batters hit homers. Or what about expansion which diluted pitching across the Majors over the last 10 years.

Come talk to me when you account for all these things.

Peace
Old Sun Aug 05, 2007, 01:48am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
The bottom line is when you prove something about Barry. I will buy all that crap. Until then, it is a record. Barry Bonds has broken it. And the last time I checked steroids were not an illegal substance. I guess we should put an asterisk on all the other records when Blacks were not allowed to play until Jackie Robinson was given an opportunity. Or what about all these new parks where the fences were moved in to help batters hit homers. Or what about expansion which diluted pitching across the Majors over the last 10 years.

Come talk to me when you account for all these things.

Peace
Not to mention all the pitchers who take steroids.

The bottom line is this: Many people take steroids and can't hit a baseball traveling upwards of 90 mph. It takes a talent that steroids cannot produce.
Old Sun Aug 05, 2007, 02:00am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Not to mention all the pitchers who take steroids.

The bottom line is this: Many people take steroids and can't hit a baseball traveling upwards of 90 mph. It takes a talent that steroids cannot produce.
Apparently the pitcher that Bonds hit the home run off of was tested positive for steroids previously. There have actually been more pitchers tested positive than batters.

I also saw that Carlton Fisk hit the exact same number of home runs as Bonds (72) since they reached the age of 40. I guess Fisk was a steroid user too. And Aaron was just a year younger when he hit 755. Sounds to me like a lot of people have some explaining to do.

Peace
Old Sun Aug 05, 2007, 02:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sounds to me like a lot of people have some explaining to do.

Peace

Yeah, like the trainer who supplied Bonds, but he decided to go to jail instead of talk to the grand jury. There'll be a payday for him down the road.

And Bonds, who admitted taking them, but said he didn't know they were performance enhancing.

BTW, steriods are banned substances in baseball.

Hat's off to Hank Aaron. The man has class and the balls to do the right thing.
Old Sun Aug 05, 2007, 02:37am
In Memoriam

Quote:
And the last time I checked steroids were not an illegal substance.
I take it the you haven't checked since 1990. Anabolic steroids used for non-medical purposes have been illegal under federal law since then under the Anabolic Steroid Control Act of 1990.

http://mesomorphosis.com/articles/co...nd-the-law.htm

http://mesomorphosis.com/articles/co...escription.htm
Old Sun Aug 05, 2007, 02:40am

Quote:
Apparently the pitcher that Bonds hit the home run off of was tested positive for steroids previously.
Clay Hensley? I'm going to have to doubt the validity of this. This would be the first I've EVER heard mention of this, and I follow the Padres rather closely. Are you sure about this?
Closed Thread