The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 31, 2007, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Important lessons learned....and more questions asked

Saturday I had a Sr. Babe Ruth (16-18) game, working by myself. It was raining all day, finally in the bottom of the 6th, with the score tied, the rains come. So the game is suspended, continued tonight, once again I have it alone (don't ask why).

This game is played on a field with no lines drawn past first base (this will be important) Top 7, after an error and a walk, Home coach decides to IBB the 8 hitter to get to the 9 hitter, who is 2-3 and tied the game in the 6th. So bases loaded, 1 out, and I'm by myself. Next batter lofts a fly ball down the right field line. So in my head, here's what I'm keeping track of- Fair/foul, catch/no catch, proper tags, runners touching bases, potential time play, not getting hit with a throw, and keeping my *** out of trouble. Well of course, ball falls. F3 is standing on the bag, so I have to scoot a step or two inside the line to have any view at all, while staying to call anything in the infield. Since there's no line, I have to make a snap judgment, I call it fair.

IT hits the fan. While the ball is LIVE, runners circling bases, players running around screaming, coaches screaming....it's ugly. So finally, after 3 runs score and BR is on third, Home coach comes running out of the third base dugout. This guy talks in a loud voice anyway, but he's not happy with me. I give him the stop sign and say coach, if you're going to yell at me, I'm going to run you. We can talk, but you will not stand here and yell at me. He goes off that I can't run him if he doesn't curse....anyway, he's arguing, and while he's arguing he bumps me- not sure if it's intentional, but doesn't matter. GONE. No doubter. So he goes crazy, his assistants are yelling, but he finally leaves. I tell his assistants he was ejected for making contact with me, not for arguing. Stupidly, I ask who's now in charge and if he wants to discuss it. I discuss the play with this coach for 2-3 minutes, not arguing, not cursing, just discussing it. We end it, move on, Home team ends up losing as the last batter strikes out on two pitches near his nose.

SO, my questions:
1) Were my mechanics right at all on this play? I feel like they were very wrong, but being by myself with the bases loaded, what was I supposed to do?

2) In handling the argument, other than volunteering to talk to the new head coach, how did I do?

3) In general, what did I do wrong here? What things did I do right?

ANY feedback is appreciated, since this is near the end of my season and I'm figuring out what I need to do better next year.
Old Tue Jul 31, 2007, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmets
So bases loaded, 1 out, and I'm by myself. Next batter lofts a fly ball down the right field line. So in my head, here's what I'm keeping track of- Fair/foul, catch/no catch, proper tags, runners touching bases, potential time play, not getting hit with a throw, and keeping my *** out of trouble.

You have to simplify when you're by yourself. One thing at a time.
Catch/no catch and fair foul is first priority.

Since BR ended up at 3rd I'm assuming ball got past F9, that gives you plenty of time to get back to 3BL and determine if a play is coming to 3rd or home.
You can only do so much so I try to watch touches at 3rd and home and peripherally watch for obstruction.

Quote:
Well of course, ball falls. F3 is standing on the bag, so I have to scoot a step or two inside the line to have any view at all, while staying to call anything in the infield.
You do what you have to, to get a good look. Good job.

Quote:
Since there's no line, I have to make a snap judgment, I call it fair.

IT hits the fan. While the ball is LIVE, runners circling bases, players running around screaming, coaches screaming....it's ugly. .
It seems you're making it out to be much more chaotic than it is. It's a base hit and runners are moving. That's baseball. You've made your call, now you're simply watching and anticipating the next play. You shouldn't be paying any attention to players and coaches "screaming" during live ball.

Quote:
So finally, after 3 runs score and BR is on third, Home coach comes running out of the third base dugout.
I'm assuming you have TIME, so still everything is cool.

Quote:
This guy talks in a loud voice anyway, but he's not happy with me. I give him the stop sign and say coach, if you're going to yell at me, I'm going to run you. We can talk, but you will not stand here and yell at me. He goes off that I can't run him if he doesn't curse....anyway, he's arguing, and while he's arguing he bumps me- not sure if it's intentional, but doesn't matter. GONE. No doubter.
Home team manager is the one responsible for you doing one man in first place?
Very very little patience.
I hope you made it very clear to everyone that he was booted.
Good job.

In my world when he says "He goes off that I can't run him if he doesn't curse.."
I say "watch this"

Quote:
So he goes crazy, his assistants are yelling,
If the assistants are yelling at you they're gone.
Why would you warn the HC about yelling and then allow it from the assistants?

Quote:
but he finally leaves. I tell his assistants he was ejected for making contact with me, not for arguing.
You owe the assistants no explanation, and personally I wouldn't give any.
By saying "not for arguing" you have given permission for more arguing.

Quote:
Stupidly, I ask who's now in charge and if he wants to discuss it.
Discussions are over. As you figured out they should have been.

Quote:
I discuss the play with this coach for 2-3 minutes, not arguing, not cursing, just discussing it.
30-45 sec. max with the HC zero at this point with new HC. 2-3 minutes is out of control.

Quote:
We end it, move on, Home team ends up losing as the last batter strikes out on two pitches near his nose.
Called or swinging?
Old Tue Jul 31, 2007, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
Any one-man job is tough.

I thought you did well in positioning--then you called what you saw.

My only cavil is the 2-3 minute discussion with new head coach. What is there to explain on this play? Fair ball, no catch, runners advanced.

How did you know that the 9-slot hitter was 2 for 3? IMHO, keepoing track of anything like this takes away from focusing on umpiring.

I have run more than a few coaches who argued with me without cursing. Remember the three P's: profane, prolonged or personal.

Hang in there. My season is over too. We are going to have a pizza-and-beer "round table" and share stuff we have gleaned during our seasons. I think this is a good idea.

Ace in CT
Old Tue Jul 31, 2007, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Mueller
I'm assuming you have TIME, so still everything is cool.
Coach was out while his catcher was retrieving the ball at the backstop. Time wasn't out until F2 had the ball.

Quote:
If the assistants are yelling at you they're gone.
Why would you warn the HC about yelling and then allow it from the assistants?
To be honest with you, I couldn't have controlled the HC and Assts. at the same time. I was more worried about the HC in my face than the assts. in the dugout.

Quote:
Called or swinging?
Last K was swinging. There was no way these pitches were strikes in any game.
Old Tue Jul 31, 2007, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceholleran
My only cavil is the 2-3 minute discussion with new head coach. What is there to explain on this play? Fair ball, no catch, runners advanced.
This is the thing that I thought of as I was talking to him..."why am I doing this....it's an absolutely awful idea." Definitely took this away from the game for future reference....

Quote:
How did you know that the 9-slot hitter was 2 for 3? IMHO, keepoing track of anything like this takes away from focusing on umpiring.
I don't know if he was 2-3, but I remember thinking the kid seemed small for the league on Saturday, then he hit 2 balls about 350 feet and was on base a few times.
Old Tue Jul 31, 2007, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

I do many games by myself too, so I sympathize. One thing I always do is point out during the pre-game is the fact that there are no lines. The best advice I've recieved when working by games myself is to hustle! It shows that despite the fact you've got a tough gig, you want to get it right. Sometimes the fact that you got out from behind the plate and were on top of a call earlier in the game, will keep the coach off your back!
Old Tue Jul 31, 2007, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So in my head, here's what I'm keeping track of- Fair/foul, catch/no catch, proper tags, runners touching bases, potential time play, not getting hit with a throw, and keeping my *** out of trouble.
I rarely work by myself, but if given this situation there would be only two things on my mind. FAIR/FOUL and CATCH/NO CATCH. You can only do so much with one umpire.

If HC comes out let him rant until he says something personal or profane or he bumps you, then run him. What were the assistants yelling? Personal or profane yelling should be instantaneous ejections. Pretty soon you will be left with no coaches or ONE who has some sense not to yell personal or profane at you and be willing to discuss calmly. If not, then so be it.

The calmer you are the easier the ejection report will be to write, assuming you have to write one for summer ball.

What do you mean by batter strikes out with two pitches near his nose? Were these called or swinging? If called you might want to lower your zone about a foot, at least.
Old Tue Jul 31, 2007, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
If HC comes out let him rant until he says something personal or profane or he bumps you, then run him. What were the assistants yelling? Personal or profane yelling should be instantaneous ejections....

What do you mean by batter strikes out with two pitches near his nose? Were these called or swinging? If called you might want to lower your zone about a foot, at least.
The assistants were just yapping about the call..."That ball was five feet foul, there's no way that was a fair ball...." I didn't hear anything that would warrant my tossing someone from the bench.

The last out of the game was 2 ugly swings by the kid that was up. I have no idea why he swung at the pitches- the game didn't matter for the Sr. Babe Ruth tournament, so I think everyone just wanted to get the hell out of Dodge at that point.
Old Tue Jul 31, 2007, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The assistants were just yapping about the call..."That ball was five feet foul, there's no way that was a fair ball...." I didn't hear anything that would warrant my tossing someone from the bench.
Ignore 'em.
Old Tue Jul 31, 2007, 09:40pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
he's arguing, and while he's arguing he bumps me
Games over.

Once you have that in your head, then the only thing left to manage is your exit. Think of it this way. You have extricated yourself from a pitiful sitch. Without the foul lines marked, it was inevitable that somebody was going to go ballistic. You were a marked man.

How to exit? Relax, you know the game is over, so concentrate on a clean exit. Let the coaches scream and yell, whatever, nod your head up and down, agree, relax. Listen until everyone has had their say. When the brouhaha ends and it will, find your car in your head, slowly walk over to the other teams dugout, inform them of the forfeit, exit by their side of the field. I have asked for a coach or two to assist in following me to my car. Several have stayed around until all we are safe.
Old Tue Jul 31, 2007, 10:29pm

Matt,

This is what I do in games where there are no foul lines, especially if I'm working solo:

Pre-game plate conference:

Me: Okay fellas, today I am by myself. Your league has decided that one umpire is enough, so that's the way it's going to be. You do not have foul lines drawn (many times I have NO foul lines whatsoever) past first base, so whatever I call is what it's going to be. I will have no argument of fair or foul on balls hit past 1st and 3rd. I'm not entertaining arguments on safe/out calls on stolen bases. I'm going to give it my best look, and if the ball beats the runner and a tag is down, that runner is going to be out. Any questions?

Them: No sir, Mr. Umpire. . . . .

then they argue and whine anyway, and I immediately remind them that if they want it called differently to pay for 2 umpires (or chalk the field, whichever is applicable). After this one reminder, I start ejecting.

I also don't invite the new head honcho to further discuss anything.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Jul 31, 2007, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

The irony is on Sunday, the assistant told me the other guys were being too hard on me since I was working by myself. Then today he proved that once a rat, always a rat.

Seems like everyone else agrees that discussing with the new head coach was probably the worst decision I've made on the field in a while. Thanks for the responses so far everyone.
Old Tue Jul 31, 2007, 10:32pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Matt,

This is what I do in games where there are no foul lines, especially if I'm working solo:

Pre-game plate conference:

Me: Okay fellas, today I am by myself. Your league has decided that one umpire is enough, so that's the way it's going to be. You do not have foul lines drawn (many times I have NO foul lines whatsoever) past first base, so whatever I call is what it's going to be. I will have no argument of fair or foul on balls hit past 1st and 3rd. I'm not entertaining arguments on safe/out calls on stolen bases. I'm going to give it my best look, and if the ball beats the runner and a tag is down, that runner is going to be out. Any questions?
Never, ever say "any questions". You have made the rules, move on. If they want a clarification, let them come forward.
Old Tue Jul 31, 2007, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
Never, ever say "any questions". You have made the rules, move on. If they want a clarification, let them come forward.
I would bring it up pre-game....get everything done early and get it over with. There is no worse time to bring up a quirky rule or a stupid coach comment then in the heat of a close game. Discuss it pre-game, establish whatever it is you need to establish, and let them adjust accordingly.
Old Tue Jul 31, 2007, 10:41pm

Fitty, I allow questions during the plate conference. What, do you try to be a bada$$ and not let them ask questions? There is nothing wrong with asking "any questions?" I want them to be crystal clear on what I will and will not put up with.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25