The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 01, 2007, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Play from long ago.

I thought this play was interesting.

On an attempt to check his swing, Elston Howard hits a chop in front of the plate.

But as he starts to run . . .

His bat hits the ball again.

Howard has both feet in the box, but Jocko Conlon called him out. I am wondering whether this was because the ball didn't simply bounce back up and hit the bat, but that the bat was out away from his body, and Howard actually actively contacted the ball. I'm wondering whether this was the correct call by rule, or whether in 1961 the umps sometimes just called what they thought seemed right on a particular play.
Old Wed Aug 01, 2007, 08:54pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule

On an attempt to check his swing, Elston Howard hits a chop in front of the plate.

Howard has both feet in the box, but Jocko Conlon called him out. I am wondering whether this was because the ball didn't simply bounce back up and hit the bat, but that the bat was out away from his body, and Howard actually actively contacted the ball. I'm wondering whether this was the correct call by rule, or whether in 1961 the umps sometimes just called what they thought seemed right on a particular play.
Is this the Cincy series they lost? Or Pittsburgh? Conlon missed it.
Old Thu Aug 02, 2007, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule

If I recall correctly, if the PU judged the contact was in the fair portion of the batter's box, it was an out.

Bob
Old Thu Aug 02, 2007, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

If I recall correctly, if the PU judged the contact was in the fair portion of the batter's box, it was an out.

That might well be the answer. That was the rule then, and this ball actually appears to be in front of the plate.

Supposedly, even a batter who was at the front of the box would be out if he hit a ball downward onto his foot if the foot was in the fair part of the box. I think, though, that even then the umps usually ignored the letter of the rule and called that a foul. Howard's play, of course, is different.

Interest to watch Jocko Conlon's mechanics during that series. When viewing pitches, he kept his legs straight and leaned forward with his hands grasped behind him. (I'm going to check this film again to see how that worked with the balloon protector.)

Last edited by greymule; Thu Aug 02, 2007 at 01:20pm.