The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 26, 2007, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Should this Forum "split" and have new business

Hi all:

Do not know how many of you either visit or post at eTeamz.com but that Forum has had all kinds of problems

That Forum is predominately devoted to LL so what do you guys / gals think about having this Forum Restructured since LL posts in general are frown upon on this site.

In other words keeps the Current Forum the way it is but add a sub-caption called LL baseball.

I do not know if this would add subscribers to the paid site, but as more people visit perhaps the paid site will increase. In other words it wouldn't hurt business.

I do not know about copyright laws etc. But if the general populas here along with the system administrators think it's a good idea, can a general post be made at "another" Forum advertising to join another?

I think this would be a good time to advertise (again if the general populas and system administrators think so) to drum up "new business" Also, do not know how much effort or resources would be involved in adding a sub-caption or separate section to the existing Forum.

Ok guys/ gals give me your thoughts. The good,bad and ugly (BTW one of my all time favorite movies)

Pete Booth
Old Thu Jul 26, 2007, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

It's not that we don't want LL posters. LL has it's own set of problems (take pitch counts and MPR for example) that unless you work LL games, you really cannot help a poster. The level of play also has its own idiosyncrasies that we who work the big diamond never run into. So IMHO, I think that a LL section would be a plus to the forum as a whole.

Regards
Old Thu Jul 26, 2007, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
It's not that we don't want LL posters. LL has it's own set of problems (take pitch counts and MPR for example) that unless you work LL games, you really cannot help a poster. The level of play also has its own idiosyncrasies that we who work the big diamond never run into. So IMHO, I think that a LL section would be a plus to the forum as a whole.

Regards
I'd say a sub-forum for small diamond umpires would be a good idea. I wouldn't make it LL specific, just as I wouldn't ever equate all LL baseball to games played on a 60' diamond.

Tim.
Old Thu Jul 26, 2007, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Dear Pete:

Rather than making a pithy comment about your idea I will point out the following:

1) Simply adding a "sub-head" does not work. Over at another umpire website they have a "small diamond" area. Rules and mechanic questions are seldom posted to that are even when it is pure small diamond in nature.

When I have asked: "why didn't you post this in the samll diamond area?" the answer is always the same: "when I post there I do not get the quailty of answer I do when I post under the other headings."

2) So you want to add the same problems to this site that where, by your own admittance: "eTeamz.com but that Forum has had all kinds of problems . . ." I am trying not to sound elitist but maybe we already have enough small diamond umpires and coaches here. If you want this site to mimick eTeamZ so be it . . . as one of the "third rate umpires" that write articles here I would be forced to go to another site with Strikes & Outs. It may not be missed but I leave eTeamZ alone . . . if this site becomes primarily a small diamond site I would leave it alone.

3) Since the two of us started on these sites many years ago we have seen what works and what does not (gmcgriff.com). Why change something here that is working. While it is true that I have six names on my ignore list I think the general value here is that there is a samll amount of small diamond traffic that is handled quite well by many of our small diamond umpires and coaches that are here.

4) In my own strange way I think this site is for the "betterment" of umpiring. Some don't like my style of posting but the days of pissing and moaning and name calling are a thing in my past. I try to give a value for a post. Some here do not.

In closing I don't see what adavantage your request gives to people already here. If a small diamond question is asked it is usually answered in a very nice manner. People such as me that hate "Little League Baseball" normally stay out of those threads.

I think what we have is fine.

Regards,

Last edited by Tim C; Thu Jul 26, 2007 at 11:10am.
Old Thu Jul 26, 2007, 11:20am
Do not give a damn!!

There is no need for another site to deal with LL or lower level baseball. The other sites work very well with lower level games. Actually many of the questions on the other site deal with issues with lower level games.

The major problem I see is that many younger (in years) and lower level umpires are very defensive about the level they work. Because many of these leagues are played during the summer or at times that many HS and colleges are not playing, you are dealing with a different kind of individual. Most officials that work youth sports that I see have ties or are already working some level of HS ball. I work a lot of summer basketball and I cannot think of one official that worked any games that was not licensed with my state to work HS games. I think with another site set apart would be a disaster. Most umpires would still come to this site anyway and the same kinds of interactions would be the same.

Peace
Old Thu Jul 26, 2007, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
I think what Pete's trying to say is that due to technical issues with their login system eteamz is all but shut down right now.

Tim.
Old Thu Jul 26, 2007, 02:38pm
Veteran College Umpire

I have no problem with the setup the way it exists now. I just don't bother with the LL posts. Besides, it gives the LL readers a chance to explore other levels and responses conveniently.

JJ
Old Thu Jul 26, 2007, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

I've appreciated all of the feedback, advice and comments relating to ALL levels of baseball. Including an occasional LL post allows those of us who umpire on both the big and little field to share coaching quotes such as, "OK guys, corners in, play for two!" I get assigned to work the LL World Series qualifiers, with District LL Umpires. Many a conversation begins with them telling me where I should be positioned, "......and that is called the A position! That's where you stand when there's no one on base!" I put on my best Golly Gee Beav. face and nod!
Old Thu Jul 26, 2007, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
Rather than making a pithy comment about your idea I will point out the following:

1) Simply adding a "sub-head" does not work. Over at another umpire website they have a "small diamond" area. Rules and mechanic questions are seldom posted to that are even when it is pure small diamond in nature.

When I have asked: "why didn't you post this in the samll diamond area?" the answer is always the same: "when I post there I do not get the quailty of answer I do when I post under the other headings."

2) So you want to add the same problems to this site that where, by your own admittance: "eTeamz.com but that Forum has had all kinds of problems . . ." I am trying not to sound elitist but maybe we already have enough small diamond umpires and coaches here. If you want this site to mimick eTeamZ so be it . . . as one of the "third rate umpires" that write articles here I would be forced to go to another site with Strikes & Outs. It may not be missed but I leave eTeamZ alone . . . if this site becomes primarily a small diamond site I would leave it alone.

3) Since the two of us started on these sites many years ago we have seen what works and what does not (gmcgriff.com). Why change something here that is working. While it is true that I have six names on my ignore list I think the general value here is that there is a samll amount of small diamond traffic that is handled quite well by many of our small diamond umpires and coaches that are here.

4) In my own strange way I think this site is for the "betterment" of umpiring. Some don't like my style of posting but the days of pissing and moaning and name calling are a thing in my past. I try to give a value for a post. Some here do not.

In closing I don't see what adavantage your request gives to people already here. If a small diamond question is asked it is usually answered in a very nice manner. People such as me that hate "Little League Baseball" normally stay out of those threads.

Regards,
Here, here! Let eteamz have 90 % of the LL posters market and umpire.org 9% and this site 1%....or whatever it is.

This site is the best site going. Don't mess with a good thing.
Old Thu Jul 26, 2007, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevs00cup
I've appreciated all of the feedback, advice and comments relating to ALL levels of baseball. Including an occasional LL post allows those of us who umpire on both the big and little field to share coaching quotes such as, "OK guys, corners in, play for two!" I get assigned to work the LL World Series qualifiers, with District LL Umpires. Many a conversation begins with them telling me where I should be positioned, "......and that is called the A position! That's where you stand when there's no one on base!" I put on my best Golly Gee Beav. face and nod!
Too funny, Devs.

I, too, think that sheer LL stuff should not fly here. Toward the end of my umping days (now), I do only LL, but as someone else said, I like the quality of answers and expertrise here.

PLUS, much LL stuff DOES fall under OBR. Many of my sitches have ocurred at LL level; I just don't mention that.

There is a full-fledged LL board on Yahoo. I just ignore the "fair or foul" posts and the like.

And yes, many LL umps are a bit tetchy. Most of the smitties I know go near a computer about as often as they watch McNeil Lehrer. I ran into one the other who bellowed out "MY TIME" when he wanted to brush off the dish.

ace
Old Thu Jul 26, 2007, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceholleran
Most of the smitties I know go near a computer about as often as they watch McNeil Lehrer.
Psst, Ace, McNeill retired a few years back.
Old Thu Jul 26, 2007, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C

Regards,
Good point Tim - never thought of it that way.
Old Fri Jul 27, 2007, 04:19am

Lightbulb When it's time to relax. . . . . .

Quote:
I ran into one the other who bellowed out "MY TIME" when he wanted to brush off the dish.
I have often wanted to bellow out "MAI TAI TIME" during some rough games.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Jul 27, 2007, 04:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
My bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
Psst, Ace, McNeill retired a few years back.

Bad analogy. I am just out of the effing loop, I guess.

I maintain I don't need to see any "Wow, District 33 has some great pitching" posts here.

Ace
Old Fri Jul 27, 2007, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
PLUS, much LL stuff DOES fall under OBR. Many of my sitches have ocurred at LL level; I just don't mention that.
That's fine. But, too many don't know the difference between an OBR question that happened in a LL game and a LL question (runners leaving early, the "poof" play, SPR, MPR, different tourney rules, all the admin crap, pitch counts, on-deck batters, etc.)