The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   F1 with sunglasses (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/36827-f1-sunglasses.html)

JR12 Mon Jul 23, 2007 08:41am

F1 with sunglasses

I've never seen a pitcher wear sunglasses. I've never seen a rule prohibiting them. Is there something written somewhere against them.
PS, Don't jump on me if it's a stupid question.

ptmac Mon Jul 23, 2007 08:44am

There is no requirement for a pitcher to remove his sunglasses (Gustavo Chacin of the Blue Jays uses sunglasses), but they cannot be reflective. In other words, they cannot have a 'mirror' finish that reflects light.

officialtony Mon Jul 23, 2007 09:29am

ptmac,
could you please reference the rule that supports your statement about reflective lenses?

Thanks in advance.

bob jenkins Mon Jul 23, 2007 09:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by officialtony
ptmac,
could you please reference the rule that supports your statement about reflective lenses?

Thanks in advance.

There's no "official" specific rule on that. It's a general interp that the mirror woiuld be distracting, and is covered under 1.11(f) (and rules in other codes on "nothing distracting")

BigUmp56 Mon Jul 23, 2007 09:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by officialtony
ptmac,

Thanks in advance.

The only thing you'll find that addresses something reflective in OBR is 1.11(f)

The refference in FED would be 1-1-5.

Neither directly addresses reflective lenses on sunglasses.

Tim.

officialtony Mon Jul 23, 2007 09:51am

Thanks,

Appreciate the info

RPatrino Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:21am

I had only one coach complain about a pitcher wearing sunglasses. This JC assistant starts chirping at me from the 3rd base coaching box about it being against the rules. I give the "*** coach" the stop sign, which he correctly understands to mean "shut up". I trot out the mound and confirm what I suspect that the glasses are prescription (and not reflective).

I call over the HC, explain the situation, he visits the '*** coach'. Not one more word about the sunglasses.

kylejt Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:30am

There's no rule against sunglasses, nor is there a need for them to be prescription. The only question would be if they are a distraction to the batter. It is a judgement call by the umpires.

RPatrino Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:33am

I guess I needed to tell you what was said in my 'conversation' with the HC. It went like this.

Me:"Ed, there is no rule against a pitcher wearing sunglasses, and you know that, right?"
Ed: Yes.
Me: "Plus the glasses are prescription, would you like him to pitch without them?"
Ed: No.
Me: "Ed, tell your 3rd base coach to shut up, ok"
Ed: Ok.

fitump56 Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptmac
There is no requirement for a pitcher to remove his sunglasses (Gustavo Chacin of the Blue Jays uses sunglasses), but they cannot be reflective. In other words, they cannot have a 'mirror' finish that reflects light.

If B complains, F1 needs to remove.

UMP25 Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:59pm

Since when? So you're going to let a batter dictate everything about a pitcher? Of course, batters would NEVER do anything just to mess with a pitcher's mind. :rolleyes:

fitump56 Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:04am

Since I call the game, no and so what?

UMP25 Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:09am

Anyone who says "If B complains..." ought to rethink his calling games period if he lets a batter dictate everything. Just be careful not to fall prey to a batter's true intentions.

fitump56 Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by UMP25
Anyone who says "If B complains..." ought to rethink his calling games period if he lets a batter dictate everything. Just be careful not to fall prey to a batter's true intentions.

We agree. I :D never do

kylejt Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by fitump56
If B complains, F1 needs to remove.

You're kiddin', right?