The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 25, 2007, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

hehehe,

Trust me folks:

Both soCalBlue and Bobby are much, much closer to knowing everything about MiLB umpires than any of us.

Both have their thumbs on the official pulse of that group of umpires.

Regards,
Old Wed Jul 25, 2007, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
tim,

with so much going on round here i never said thanks for the email. so, publicly, thanks.

oh, and i use my fingers cuz my thumb has it's own pulse.
Old Wed Jul 25, 2007, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
While I seldom agree with Mr. Kaufman the people that I speak with at minor league levels have told me the exact same review of Rita.

I was also told that it was her base work that held back significantly.

This has been a very difficult year for A and AA umpires. Several have all ready "self-released" themselves after reviews.

It is the nature of the profession.

Regards,
My information is that this is the first year of mid-season ratings and rankings. As Tee said, in part, this has been the cause of several MiLB umpires self releasing. Why? If one has been in, let's say, AA for four or five years and finds himself ranked in the bottom half at mid-season, he may find it easier to leave now and begin the process of getting on with life rather than finish out the year and being released over the winter.

For those keeping score, I believe Jason Klein was the top rated AA umpire at the end of last season. He moved up to AAA this season.
Old Wed Jul 25, 2007, 10:16pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
[quote=GarthB] As Tee said, in part, this has been the cause of several MiLB umpires self releasing. Why? If one has been in, let's say, AA for four or five years and finds himself ranked in the bottom half at mid-season, he may find it easier to leave now and begin the process of getting on with life rather than finish out the year and being released over the winter.

[quote]

Or not being released. Either way, youthful exuberance wears off when you know you have hit the ceilng. The majority will and the ones who forego college or post graduate might find themselves late in life to choose an educational path.

Which is the point of my OP. Let them know the slim chances, the very, very slim chances of MLB.
Old Wed Jul 25, 2007, 10:20pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
Although I don't share UMP25's political views, I have heard substantially the same about Cortesio. Moreover, her 5 years in AA is extremely unusual: if umpires have not moved up to AAA within 2-3 years, they are usually released.

I applaud MiLB and PBUC both for giving her extra time to develop and for not advancing her if she's not good enough.
Or you could read they gave special priviledge to a female. Females are not attracted to pro umpiring and pro umpiring does little to nothing to attract them. Keeping the "token" around is PC.
Old Thu Jul 26, 2007, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
My information is that this is the first year of mid-season ratings and rankings. As Tee said, in part, this has been the cause of several MiLB umpires self releasing. Why? If one has been in, let's say, AA for four or five years and finds himself ranked in the bottom half at mid-season, he may find it easier to leave now and begin the process of getting on with life rather than finish out the year and being released over the winter.

For those keeping score, I believe Jason Klein was the top rated AA umpire at the end of last season. He moved up to AAA this season.
Garth,

Your right on the $$$. My partner was #1 and was promoted to AAA (International League).