The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Voluntary Release Play... (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/36791-voluntary-release-play.html)

fitump56 Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by David B
He did have a view of the play - he just didn't see the ball - if the fielder dropped in transfer how could the coach see that anyway - he's 100 feet away.

OK, one last tims, specifically quoting the OP who himslef has said this 3X in this thread.

"The problem wasn't timing, my problem was literally not seeing the play. It wasn't that I had my mind made up before I had processed it all, its that my eyes were literally incapable of seeing part of the play."

Quote:

Ignore the coach and make the call.

Never said you should be concerned about the coach just no view = ask partner.

fitump56 Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:46pm

Originally Posted by fitump56
Originally Posted by fitump56
No view = ask partner.

He clearly said he had "no view" of the play.

No view = ask partner. I don't see why not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrowder
Because your partner has a job to do on this play, and it's not to provide backup to you ... it's to watch the base-touch on the other runner and prepare for a possible play there.

What if he wasn't doing that? Are you willing to get a call wrong because you don't want to at least attempt to get your partner's input?

Quote:

If partner saw anything he could add to your call, then he wasn't doing his job. Don't know about you, but I make the assumption that my partner is doing his job.

I make no assumptions whatsoever and the fact he may have other responsibilities does not mean he couldn't have looked my way.

Quote:

Bringing this one to him is frankly an insult to his abilities, and puts doubt into everyone else's minds about YOUR abilities. Stick with the call on this one.
BS, take your ego and partner's and leave then at the gate to the field. The insult is in not doing so.

TussAgee11 Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:44pm

Thanks fitump, for telling what I did was wrong by not going to my partner on this play. If mcrowder's opinion didn't mean enough to me (which it does), your opinion opposite of his does double, which means I not only did correct once, but twice.

-Tuss

fitump56 Thu Jul 26, 2007 01:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by TussAgee11
Thanks fitump, for telling what I did was wrong by not going to my partner on this play. If mcrowder's opinion didn't mean enough to me (which it does), your opinion opposite of his does double, which means I not only did correct once, but twice.

-Tuss

Not sure what all that above means except to say that many posters were repeatedly attempting to claim that you had a view. You repeatedly claimed you didn't. Them's the facts, Jacts.

Wrong not going to your partner? That's up to you. For me? no view = ask partner.

Don Mueller Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeteBooth
In a 2 person system we cannot be everywhere but in the future, try experimenting with the "C" position. I know this all depends upon the protocol that is followed in one's area but from my experience, you get a much better look on plays such as yours and in addition steal attempts as well. You are less prone to get 'blocked out" by a fielder.

I think B is much better in this situation.
In B F6 is facing you, ball is between you and f6.
In C f6 can easily get body betwwen you and ball. In fact a good f6 will block you out if the throw is going to beat r1.
In the OP f6 would have staightened up after the tag, turned inside toward home preparing to throw. That turn to the inside would be a perfect view from b. If F6 had the ball at that point Tuss would have very easily seen the voluntary release.
The only issue on this play is timing not positioning.