The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 18, 2007, 11:19pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Thumbs down It's All About The Money

I have been a sports official for over 40 years. A very, very low percentage of that time did I not either enjoy or need the money.

Old Hats on the Forum won't admit to the fact that they need, want, desire and require the money. Or the fact that it clouds their judgments.

So we see posts where R is actually "Out" but called "Safe". Why? Because that's what the people who control their pay saw.

I don't find completely objectionable these compromises that a sport official might truly need to keep his nose clean and his job status upright, to keep his assignments, to keep his money inflow.

What I find completely objectionable is this facade, this ridiculous dishonesty about the money, and its influence on all of us.

Until we can have honest discussions about the influence of the money, how it influences us, our officiating preferences....then what we have is nothing more than conversations among participants that refuse to admit to the underlying realities of beng a modern day sports official.

And needing the money.
Old Wed Jul 18, 2007, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
I've seen my fair share of Smitty's who are in it just for the money and take little or no pride in their work. Those are the guys that go along to get along, don't touch the tough situations, and tolerate just about anything thrown at them. They generally wear a faded dark blue shirt that they bought years ago, it doesn't fit them quite right because they've put on weight, and it's all wrinkled because it lives in the trunk of their car.

But I'll be the first to admit that if I wasn't paid to umpire I wouldn't umpire. I do take pride in my work. Because of that, it costs me an arm and a leg to keep up with my uniforms and gear. Not to mention the price of gas these days. The cost of living has me making life decisions based on income, and that includes whether I can afford a hobby or have to get a part-time job.

I do work for top game fees, but game fees are not how I decide where I'll work. I'd much rather make a few dollars less to work a wooden bat men's league with former professional ball players than make the extra money to work a metal bat amateur-independent league with a bunch of hot-headed JUCO and summer collegiate rejects.

But money has never influenced my decisions on the field -- absolutely, positively never. Nor does money have any influence on utilizing my so-called, "burnt sienna," philosophy. That is strictly an advanced technique for helping umpires in higher level games achieve the correct decision when faced with a specific set of circumstances.
Old Wed Jul 18, 2007, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

White Hairs

The problem is that some of the "white hairs" that umpire at the D-1 conference level either don't realize that the game has passed them by or actually know that their skills have deteriorated but can't afford to get out of officiating because the money is so good (anywhere from $550 - $1,200 per weekend depending on the conference).

A certain part of me feels bad for these guys because I know I will be that age someday and it's got to be difficult to know when to walk away and hang it up. But there are many white hairs that have no business working that level of baseball but won't get out of it because they need the money. There are guys waiting for those spots but because of the good ole boys network, they are still hanging around and getting the plum assignments when others who are more capable have to sit and wait.

Is it the money, the pride or are they in denial of their abilities. Unfortunately, as NCAA baseball continues to get more TV exposure and the games fees continue to rise, more and more older officials will stick it out as long as possible. I guess that's life....

UES
Old Thu Jul 19, 2007, 12:25am
rei

If I was doing this for the money, I would need lawump to represent me in my bankruptcy case!

Old Thu Jul 19, 2007, 12:27am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by rei
If I was doing this for the money, I would need lawump to represent me in my bankruptcy case!

rei, do you take the money?
Old Thu Jul 19, 2007, 12:38am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by UES
The problem is that some of the "white hairs" that umpire at the D-1 conference level either don't realize that the game has passed them by or actually know that their skills have deteriorated but can't afford to get out of officiating because the money is so good (anywhere from $550 - $1,200 per weekend depending on the conference).
UES, that's good money right there. I have had to work MSBL weekend tourneys to make the same, 10 -12 games @ $100 per.

Quote:

A certain part of me feels bad for these guys because I know I will be that age someday and it's got to be difficult to know when to walk away and hang it up. But there are many white hairs that have no business working that level of baseball but won't get out of it because they need the money. There are guys waiting for those spots but because of the good ole boys network, they are still hanging around and getting the plum assignments when others who are more capable have to sit and wait.
That is well said, I see this especially in FED HS orgs, these "white hairs" as you call them, they need the money. I feel as you do, understanding and irritated by the system.

Quote:

Is it the money, the pride or are they in denial of their abilities. Unfortunately, as NCAA baseball continues to get more TV exposure and the games fees continue to rise, more and more older officials will stick it out as long as possible. I guess that's life....

UES
Life it is, but is it too much to have fair discussion about this real-time issue here? Your's was fair, will there be others?
Old Thu Jul 19, 2007, 12:49am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Porter

But I'll be the first to admit that if I wasn't paid to umpire I wouldn't umpire. I do take pride in my work. Because of that, it costs me an arm and a leg to keep up with my uniforms and gear. Not to mention the price of gas these days. The cost of living has me making life decisions based on income, and that includes whether I can afford a hobby or have to get a part-time job.
I appreciate your honesty, Jim. There are .05% of the American people, wealthy, who aren't making cost of living decisions and adjustments daily. Are we as officials somehow in that wealthy group?

We're not and to refuse to admit that we are not is a fundamental problem of this Forum.
Old Thu Jul 19, 2007, 12:56am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Porter

But money has never influenced my decisions on the field -- absolutely, positively never. Nor does money have any influence on utilizing my so-called, "burnt sienna," philosophy. That is strictly an advanced technique for helping umpires in higher level games achieve the correct decision when faced with a specific set of circumstances.
Jim, you're a better man than I. I can recall games, even seasons, where I was influenced by the money. I can honestly say I did my best to call the game accurately. I can also honestly say that I always felt the influence of the money.

Then, when I stopped taking the money, I still felt influenced because I wanted to call the high level ball, it was just plain fun.
Old Thu Jul 19, 2007, 01:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
UES, that's good money right there. I have had to work MSBL weekend tourneys to make the same, 10 -12 games @ $100 per.

10-12 games in one weekend????

I'm talking $550 - $1,200 for 3 or 4 games per conference weekend. That's why the white hairs won't get out
Old Thu Jul 19, 2007, 01:15am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
I umpire to get away from the wife for the evening. My wife gets the money. That's the deal we have going.
I would do other things if I needed more money. I umpire to get my lazy, fat azz off the couch.
Take that money away from the wife.. call me, I can put you on a lonely, secluded island.......
Old Thu Jul 19, 2007, 09:50am
rei

Quote:

rei, do you take the money?
I sure do!

Like stated earlier by Jim Porter, I wouldn't do it unless I was paid though!

I usually lose money by doing games by having to leave work early. I lose a LOT of money. I charge per hour what I make on a standard high school/Legion game fee, yet have to give up 3-4 hours of work.

Again, if I was doing it just for the money, I would be a bigger fool than I am!

At least college game fees are closer to what I make in a day, if I do a double header.

Crap, throw in all the time for association meetings, training that I help with, rule book studying, uniform/gear purchases, THEN I am also taxed on the income? Umpiring is financially speaking something I could do without!
Old Thu Jul 19, 2007, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have been a sports official for over 40 years. A very, very low percentage of that time did I not either enjoy or need the money.

Old Hats on the Forum won't admit to the fact that they need, want, desire and require the money. Or the fact that it clouds their judgments.

So we see posts where R is actually "Out" but called "Safe". Why? Because that's what the people who control their pay saw.

I don't find completely objectionable these compromises that a sport official might truly need to keep his nose clean and his job status upright, to keep his assignments, to keep his money inflow.

What I find completely objectionable is this facade, this ridiculous dishonesty about the money, and its influence on all of us.

Until we can have honest discussions about the influence of the money, how it influences us, our officiating preferences....then what we have is nothing more than conversations among participants that refuse to admit to the underlying realities of beng a modern day sports official.

And needing the money.
fitump56,

I for one, take offense to your insinuation that most of us let our officiating integrity be influnced by the money.

I am sorry, I am not aware of many or any millionaires that officate for nothing. In fact I doubt if any millionaires officiate at all.

So all of us work for the money and their lying if you say otherwise.

It just so happens that a majority of officials also take great pride in what they do, love the game, make great sacarfices and take costly lessons, just to get to a level commensurate with their ability.

Now, the fact that you don't agree with other officials opinions on rules, mechanics and officiating methods is a different subject all together.
Old Thu Jul 19, 2007, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

By the Grace of God...I am able to make a good living practicing my CAREER...that pays my bills and allows me to enjoy certain things (i.e. a vacation with the family, etc.)

Umpiring is my HOBBY (at one time it was my CAREER (NAPBL/PBUC); it no longer is). I do not umpire for the money now. In fact...I may loose more than I earn in some years in that because it is my hobby I tend to spend more than I should on it (new uniforms, new equipment, etc.)

I do not umpire for money. I umpire because I love it. Just like others persons in my life who like other hobbies which cost them money.
Old Thu Jul 19, 2007, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawump
By the Grace of God...I am able to make a good living practicing my CAREER...that pays my bills and allows me to enjoy certain things (i.e. a vacation with the family, etc.)

Umpiring is my HOBBY (at one time it was my CAREER (NAPBL/PBUC); it no longer is). I do not umpire for the money now. In fact...I may loose more than I earn in some years in that because it is my hobby I tend to spend more than I should on it (new uniforms, new equipment, etc.)

I do not umpire for money. I umpire because I love it. Just like others persons in my life who like other hobbies which cost them money.
While I still have to pay for college for my two young sons, I have to agree, umpiring is a hobby (passion)! I cannot think of a more enjoyable way (legal and legit) to make $$$. I've never not looked forward to a game. I'll know when I get the same feeling I get when I'm going to work, that it's time stop!
Old Thu Jul 19, 2007, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

I agree, The last time I was paid for a game was 8 years ago. I do the games because of the game. To base the integrity of a sports official on the amount they are paid is ridiculous.