The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Pre Game Discussions (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/36725-pre-game-discussions.html)

SanDiegoSteve Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadaump6
There isn't much point to having a pregame mechanics and positioning discussion when you're only working a 2 man system. First to third rotation, and going out on a flyball are the only 2 things to go over, and everyone knows them anyways.

This shows a total lack of umpiring knowledge on your part. First, not "everyone knows them anyways." You would be surprised (or maybe not) that many umpires do things differently, even though the mechanics are 180 degrees opposite of what they are doing. Second, there are many more things to go over besides two. Bob pointed out just some of the other things you need to go over, especially when working with someone for the first time.

Quote:

In my city we have a lot of partners showing up 7 minutes before game time. I always try to show up a half hour before the game, but if there is no umpire's room there is no way I am going to loiter around the area before my game. They can provide an umpire's room for me, and only then will I show up early.

That is your association's problem for allowing umpires to come running up to the park lacing up their shoes hollering, "I'm here, don't start without me!"

Around here, you would not be getting assignments for games if you can't be at least 30 minutes early for them. That is considered the minimum. If one's job interferes, they get 5:00 PM youth ball games instead of HS. Or they are relegated to only working on their days off. Anyway, you don't come showing up 7 minutes before a game.

And what's this about an umpire's room? I've only worked in a MLB park a couple of times, and a few nice college yards. Do you often get a dressing room? Wow, must be nice. What's wrong with hanging out in the parking lot waiting for your partner? That's SOP here in the big city. Are you afraid of something?:confused:

bob jenkins Sun Jul 22, 2007 07:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
And what's this about an umpire's room? I've only worked in a MLB park a couple of times, and a few nice college yards. Do you often get a dressing room?

Different areas have different standards for "umpires rooms". In some areas around the world, it's a leage "requirement" that there be an umpire's dressing room. :shrug:

canadaump6 Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:55pm

Half of the games I umpire are at one community centre that has three parks at it. I try to be in the dirty umpire's room 30 minutes before gametime. I get dressed there, and it is the responsibility of my partner to show up. If he doesn't, well I guess we don't get to go over positioning and rotations.

What I could use, as another poster mentioned, is a red book or CIBA or whatever it's called. They don't sell umpiring books in Canada, but I will be in Cooperstown and will see what they have there.

I don't drive, and probably won't get insurance for a couple of years when I am older. An umpire's room is a place to store my bike. Plus why should any umpire have to hang around in the parking lot? That's not professional, you don't get any privacy, and you make yourself noticed before you even step on the field.

BigUmp56 Sun Jul 22, 2007 01:36pm

Quote:

What I could use, as another poster mentioned, is a red book or CIBA or whatever it's called. They don't sell umpiring books in Canada, but I will be in Cooperstown and will see what they have there.

The CCA Manual and The Manual For The Two Umpire System (Red Book) are available online at Gerry Davis Sports

Quote:

Plus why should any umpire have to hang around in the parking lot? That's not professional, you don't get any privacy, and you make yourself noticed before you even step on the field.

Most of us aren't fortunate to have a place to change other than a parking lot. There are some places I umpire where there's a locker room of sorts for us, but they're few and far between.

Tim.

ozzy6900 Sun Jul 22, 2007 02:50pm

I just got through working with a partner that I never worked with. He arrived 30 minutes before the game and announced that he had the plate. We went over coverages with no one on and men on. We went over putting the ball in play and fair and foul coverage.

Once the game began, He never put the ball in play, never followed the batter runner, never covered 3rd. I went out 3 times from the A position only to turn around to find him still at the plate. When I was "in", I had no idea if a ball hit down the line was fair or foul. Needless to say, it was one hell of a pain in the a$$ to work with this person.

So to those who think that pre-game discussions are a waste, you don't know what you are talking about. Standing out there not knowing what your partner is doing or where he will be is one of the worst things that can happen. No one who thinks like this (lack of pre-game) should even umpire a LL game!

briancurtin Sun Jul 22, 2007 03:46pm

Quote:

Plus why should any umpire have to hang around in the parking lot? That's not professional, you don't get any privacy, and you make yourself noticed before you even step on the field.

actually, i teleport to the field just so no one notices me. apparently its unprofessional if anyone sees you outside of the fences.

on a serious note, 100% of the games i have done so far in illinois have been games in which there was no dressing room. on the other hand, probably 95% of the games i did in pennsylvania were games where there was a dressing room. i umpired with professionalism in both states...im not sure how it would be unprofessional to get dressed where you need to get dressed.

DG Sun Jul 22, 2007 06:59pm

Quote:

Okay I'm going to try to answer those questions that you posted just to see if I know where I am going.

1) What do you mean by second play in the infield? Second play by an infielder?
2) Depends on where the ball is hit. Ball pulling left or right fielder to the line- base ump watches the tag up and takes the runner to third. Ball not pulling them to the line- plate ump takes the runner to third, and base ump covers home.
4) Plate umpire. This is actually something I should go over with my plate partners, because often I find myself behind the baseline after an overthrow because I was positioning myself for a grounder.
5) Base umpire. I have a lot of partners that want to look fancy, so they take the play at third, but I prefer to keep it simple.
6) Plate ump has all fair/foul calls, unless the base umpire stays out with nobody on, then he makes the fair/foul call and the plate umpire leaves home plate to the third base side and takes any play at second or third. Base umpire runs his *** all the way back to home to make the call at the plate if the batter tries for an inside the park homer.

Sad commentary. Just goes to show what no pre-game will do for you.

canadaump6 Sun Jul 22, 2007 07:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by briancurtin
im not sure how it would be unprofessional to get dressed where you need to get dressed.

One week ago, 15 and under girls softball tournament. I go near the backstop, take off my base pants, put my jock on over my underware, then put my plate pants on. Once I am in uniform, my friend takes me to where nobody is sitting, and tells me that there were a couple people who were very offended that I would take off my pants at a public place with so many kids, and that the tournament convenor was offering to give me my $15 for the game if I left immediately. Good god almighty. Why does anyone even notice that I switched into my plate pants? While I know I probably should have gone behind a tree where there weren't any people, this so-called "problem" would have been avoided had their been an umpire's room, as I am certain I would have gone into the room.

bob jenkins Sun Jul 22, 2007 08:03pm

Quote:

One week ago, 15 and under girls softball tournament. I go near the backstop, take off my base pants, put my jock on over my underware, then put my plate pants on.

I know (hope) that this is another canadian joke. But, surely even you can see the difference between changing in the back of a parking lot when there are n't a whole lot of people about and what you described.

BigUmp56 Sun Jul 22, 2007 08:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins
I know (hoe) that this is another canadian joke. But, surely even you can see the difference between changing in the back of a parking lot when there are n't a whole lot of people about and what you described.

All of the guys I work with wear either full length or short Under Armor type compression garments. I've never heard anyone say a word about any of us changing in the parking lot.

Tim.

DG Sun Jul 22, 2007 09:23pm

Quote:

One week ago, 15 and under girls softball tournament. I go near the backstop, take off my base pants, put my jock on over my underware, then put my plate pants on. Once I am in uniform, my friend takes me to where nobody is sitting, and tells me that there were a couple people who were very offended that I would take off my pants at a public place with so many kids, and that the tournament convenor was offering to give me my $15 for the game if I left immediately. Good god almighty. Why does anyone even notice that I switched into my plate pants? While I know I probably should have gone behind a tree where there weren't any people, this so-called "problem" would have been avoided had their been an umpire's room, as I am certain I would have gone into the room.

I'm sure that this is a joke also. Because if I were the parent of a 15 year old girl and you pulled this stunt I would be livid.

I have never met a parking lot I could not change in without anyone seeing me do so. I would much rather change in the parking lot than tote my sh*t to a changing room 100 yards or more away.

fitump56 Sun Jul 22, 2007 09:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzy6900
I just got through working with a partner that I never worked with. He arrived 30 minutes before the game and announced that he had the plate. We went over coverages with no one on and men on. We went over putting the ball in play and fair and foul coverage.

Once the game began, He never put the ball in play, never followed the batter runner, never covered 3rd. I went out 3 times from the A position only to turn around to find him still at the plate. When I was "in", I had no idea if a ball hit down the line was fair or foul. Needless to say, it was one hell of a pain in the a$$ to work with this person.

So to those who think that pre-game discussions are a waste, you don't know what you are talking about. Standing out there not knowing what your partner is doing or where he will be is one of the worst things that can happen. No one who thinks like this (lack of pre-game) should even umpire a LL game!

I agree so I don't ump LL. If pre-game isn't a waste, then WTF was your pre-game.

Pre-games with morons (which many umps are), pre-games with those who don't know enough to engage in a meaningful pre-game (which many umps qualify), pre-game with those who don't need it because they have worked together so often...looks to me like pre-games, since they are touted to be of such great value on this Forum, don't have such great value.

Which, again, is my entire point. It's a bunch of BS those that on this Forum are constanlty claiming great value to pre-games.

fitump56 Sun Jul 22, 2007 09:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigUmp56
All of the guys I work with wear either full length or short Under Armor type compression garments. I've never heard anyone say a word about any of us changing in the parking lot.

Tim.

I have and gotten quite an earful about it which brings me to say the obvious "You think I like parking lot changes?" I'm not going into the woods, if there aren't any, build us a room or STFU.

umpduck11 Sun Jul 22, 2007 09:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigUmp56
The CCA Manual and The Manual For The Two Umpire System (Red Book) are available online at Gerry Davis Sports

Tim.

Yeah, but it costs something on the order of $800 to ship it to Canada....:rolleyes:

fitump56 Sun Jul 22, 2007 09:58pm

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by BigUmp56

Tim.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Quote:

Originally Posted by umpduck11
Yeah, but it costs something on the order of $800 to ship it to Canada....:rolleyes:

Sounds to me like an opportunity for you. Charge $500 and take it yourself.