The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Lessons Learned About Rats (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/36425-lessons-learned-about-rats.html)

David M Tue Jul 10, 2007 08:55am

Lessons Learned About Rats

13 Year old Babe Ruth game on Sunday. Every time team A had a man on base the team B pitcher, who looked like he had little or no pitching experience, was balking (not coming to a stop) on every pitch. Team A had no problem stealing so I let the balks go and told the team B coach after the first inning. Fast forward to the 7th inning. The game is relatively close (3 or 4 runs) when I hear the coach of team B complaining about the team A pitcher not coming to a stop.

The lessons learned are that no one gets a break and that no good deed goes unpunished.

UmpLarryJohnson Tue Jul 10, 2007 09:17am

AMEN! TRUER words have not been spoken.

Rich Ives Tue Jul 10, 2007 09:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by David M
13 Year old Babe Ruth game on Sunday. Every time team A had a man on base the team B pitcher, who looked like he had little or no pitching experience, was balking (not coming to a stop) on every pitch. Team A had no problem stealing so I let the balks go and told the team B coach after the first inning. Fast forward to the 7th inning. The game is relatively close (3 or 4 runs) when I hear the coach of team B complaining about the team A pitcher not coming to a stop.

The lessons learned are that no one gets a break and that no good deed goes unpunished.

And?

What do you think a coach's job is?

Coach B was gaining and advantage with your "no balk" call so he's happy.

He wants the balk call for his team - but at meaningful time - so he waits.

No different that letting a BOO go until it matters.

RPatrino Tue Jul 10, 2007 09:50am

The most important thing I've learned is that a coach's job is to wring, squeeze, twist, cajole, beg, plead and whine for every concievable break and advantage for his team. You played right into that here.

Your JOB is to call the game. If the pitcher for team B can't pitch, let the coach take him out. He will learn to stop. Would you ignore obstruction on the big, dumb 1st baseman because he's clumsy?

aceholleran Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:09am

Rattus Maximus

I didn't get the whole "rat" thing my first few years of umpiring.

I had this misguided "be a nice guy--no one will get mad at you" notion, until someone set me straight. He was a local guy who had umped about four seasons of organized ball.

He basically said what some of you have iterated: They will bend you, cajole you, suck up to you and [bleep] you at every turn.

Here's a great example: Big game, tightly contested, then things turn sour for the Weasels one inning, and their ace allows 3-4 runs.

After the inning, I (PU) am standing on the foul line, all by my lonesome. The Weasels' manager sidles up to me, all nice like.

"Jeeze," he says, "that kid [his pitcher] hasn't had that bad an inning all year. He's a nice kid."

So, like a dope, I answer him in kind. "Yeah, skip. He looked good to me the first coupla innings, and then he just seemed to lose it for a few batters."

Suddenly, Rattus changes his tone of voice. "And your lousy strike zone ain't helpin' him neither."

QED.

Ace in CT

Rich Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives
And?

I'm going to bookmark this thread because when someone wants to understand what it means to be a rat, I want to be able to find your answer quickly.

The proper way to handle the coach, though, is to ignore him.

SanDiegoSteve Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:49am

Quote:

In situations like this, when a pitcher is pretty green and does not come to a stop, I will say to him (if I'm BU) or have his catcher tell him (if I'm PU) to be sure to come to a stop. He gets one freebie. After that he gets balked. You would be surprised how fast they learn how to stop when you keep advancing the runners 90 ft. and their coach gets on their butts.

Rich Ives Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
I'm going to bookmark this thread because when someone wants to understand what it means to be a rat, I want to be able to find your answer quickly.

OK. Glad to help. :D

SanDiegoSteve Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser

Why is why I did not respond to Rich's post.:)

Rich Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Why is why I did not respond to Rich's post.:)

Good one, good one.

GarthB Tue Jul 10, 2007 02:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Rat
And?

What it has become is to use every conceivable method possible including lying, cheating, threatening, begging and child abuse to obtain what he feels is an advantage for the team, through which he receives an inflated sense of self-worth and validation.

bossman72 Tue Jul 10, 2007 02:18pm

Quote:

And?

...squeak squeak squeak

Rich Ives Tue Jul 10, 2007 02:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarthB
child abuse

Way over the top on that one Garth.

GarthB Tue Jul 10, 2007 02:34pm

Quote:

I think it is beyond the pale, myself. But, unfortunately, many still turn a blind eye to it.

SanDiegoSteve Tue Jul 10, 2007 03:44pm

Quote:

I have witnessed subtle forms of child abuse by managers and coaches during youth ball games. It rears its ugly head sometimes when the supposed grown-ups misuse and abuse their authority.

BigUmp56 Tue Jul 10, 2007 03:52pm

Quote:

I have witnessed subtle forms of child abuse by managers and coaches during youth ball games. It rears its ugly head sometimes when the supposed grown-ups misuse and abuse their authority.

In horror I watched a 14 year old starting pitcher begin to cry and grimmace in pain during the 6th inning of a slugfest. My guess is that he'd already thrown 100 pitches or more during the game. His rat for a coach asked for time and only came out as far as the foul line and began to taunt his own pitcher. The converstation went something like this.

"What's the matter, does your arm hurt?"

"Yes."

"Do you want to come out of the game?"

"Yes."

"Well it ain't happening, so suck it up and strike somebody out!"

There are no words to describe how I felt as a parent of players the same age.

Tim.

Steven Tyler Tue Jul 10, 2007 03:56pm

Quote:

There are no subtle forms of child abuse.

SanDiegoSteve Tue Jul 10, 2007 04:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Tyler
Unless you've raised children, you're way out of your league in thinking you know what child abuse is. There are no subtle forms of child abuse.

What I meant by subtle is that unless your looking for it, you may not recognize it as child abuse. The example Tim gave is one form. In other words, just because there are no bruises or contusions on a kid, doesn't mean there isn't abuse happening.

Blue37 Tue Jul 10, 2007 04:15pm

When my oldest was 7 (he is now 19), the head coach yelled at his son so viciously the son peed in his pants in the batter's box. The son was so traumatized by his dad's tirade he did not realize he had wet himself. The father was replaced as coach in mid-season.

That young man was an excellent ball player, but he quit after that season. He is now a promising 20 year old umpire.

spokanelurker Tue Jul 10, 2007 09:35pm

I’m startled by the degree of rancor expressed toward coaches on this site. Do the most critical of you truly see yourselves as guardians of the game, and coaches as its enemies? How do you justify all the name-calling (rats, cheaters, liars, child abusers, etc.) in the same posts where you paint yourselves as victims of similar offenses?

canadaump6 Tue Jul 10, 2007 09:54pm

David,

You screwed up on this one. Call the game by the rules. Invoking the God Rule just confuses people and takes away from the consistency the rulebook provides. Not calling the game by the rules is what umpires do when they haven't read the rulebook or don't know the rules.

Now, as for the attitude towards coaches and players that some of the people on here express, I agree it is disgusting. Anybody who doesn't respect what players and coaches do and isn't there to serve them should get the f out of umpiring. I am a ballplayer myself, and I can't stand when I have umpires that don't give it 100%.

Canuck Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:46pm

CanadaUmp, that was very well said. I lurk around this board for a few laughs and to learn something now and then (the umps here certainly do know the rules, which I respect as a coach). What's sad is the pure disdain some of these folks have for coaches and players, the very people who are there to create the actual game - this attitude shows a complete lack of disrespect for the game of baseball as a whole. This is noticeable in this thread and the thread where a coach came to ask a question about how best to handle a situation and was treated like pure crap.

Of course, I am sure these folks are in the minority. Just like there are some pretty horrid coaches, we all know there are some pretty horrid umpires - be it in their rule knowledge, ability to get judgment calls correct, game management, or just overall miserable attitude.

I always teach my kids to respect umpires, it really is a shame new umpires are not being taught to respect the game as a whole.

Cheers!

SanDiegoSteve Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by spokanelurker
I’m startled by the degree of rancor expressed toward coaches on this site. Do the most critical of you truly see yourselves as guardians of the game, and coaches as its enemies? How do you justify all the name-calling (rats, cheaters, liars, child abusers, etc.) in the same posts where you paint yourselves as victims of similar offenses?

The degree of rancor of which you speak is well-earned by the coaching community at large. In general, the majority of coaches are rats, and they do cheat and lie to achieve their objective, which only concerns winning the game. They abuse game officials constantly, but I guess you think that it's ok to do this. And umpires most assuredly are the guardians of the game. We are the only impartial participants, and are necessary to the integrity of the sport. Without us, games would be chaos and meaningless wastes of time.

SanDiegoSteve Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadaump6
I am a ballplayer myself, and I can't stand when I have umpires that don't give it 100%.

Newsflash Slick, most of us are or were ballplayers. To successfully umpire, you have to approach it from a different perspective than that of a player.

DG Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigUmp56
In horror I watched a 14 year old starting pitcher begin to cry and grimmace in pain during the 6th inning of a slugfest. My guess is that he'd already thrown 100 pitches or more during the game. His rat for a coach asked for time and only came out as far as the foul line and began to taunt his own pitcher. The converstation went something like this.

"Yes."

"Yes."

It has never happened to me but I would call time, have a discussion with the HC about the verbal exchange I just heard, wait for him to say something personal or profane to me and then I would toss his sorry 8ss. I would then sleep very well that night.

The ejection report would be accurate, coach asked, pitcher said, coach responded, I called him over for discussion and he said something personal/profane to me so I tossed him. Yes, I baited him. Yes, I will do it again.

Rich Ives Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG
It has never happened to me but I would call time, have a discussion with the HC about the verbal exchange I just heard, wait for him to say something personal or profane to me and then I would toss his sorry 8ss. I would then sleep very well that night.

The ejection report would be accurate, coach asked, pitcher said, coach responded, I called him over for discussion and he said something personal/profane to me so I tossed him. Yes, I baited him. Yes, I will do it again.

I was going to suggest finding a way to toss the pitcher. He could use the down time for the rest of the game and the suspension period.

Rich Ives Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:26pm

Quote:

Without us, games would be chaos and meaningless wastes of time.

Does that include the sandlot games everyone claims to remember with fondness? Those games had neither a coach nor an umpire yet I don't recall anyone claiming they were meaningless wastes of time.

TussAgee11 Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:28pm

Quote:

"Yes."

"Yes."

There are no words to describe how I felt as a parent of players the same age.

Tim.

In a 14 year old game, me and that coach would have had a private conversation regarding this pitcher (assuming I feel that he is risking injury on the mound). I'm probably in the minority here, which I understand. As an umpire, but more importantly as an adult, I'm interjecting myself into this one. If I was that kid's parent, I'm pulling my kid off the field that instant. Most parents would. Now I'm assuming the pitcher's parent did not hear this, and perhaps I'm the only other adult that did. What happens if this kid gets hurt? Its certainly on the Coach, but I would feel guilty as well for putting my job in front of the wellbeing of a kid.

Chances are this coach would go ballistic on me during our private conversation, I'd toss him, and then the assistant, who always in these sorts of situations realizes the manager is a maniac, will take the kid out and we will go on. UIC will get a report, I may get a "don't do that again from him", but it will pass on to the league president, and that coach wouldn't be coaching again. And a kid may have avoided serious injury.

It goes without saying that at JV, V, Legion, etc. level I would never do this, but then again, I don't think that it would ever happen at any other level than the one Tim described.

Just my two cents. Let the flaming of me begin. :o

UmpJM Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:45pm

Steve,

Quote:

The degree of rancor of which you speak is well-earned by the coaching community at large. In general, the majority of coaches are rats, and they do cheat and lie to achieve their objective, which only concerns winning the game. They abuse game officials constantly, but I guess you think that it's ok to do this.
My experience is somewhat different than yours.

While there are most certainly "Rat Coaches" who will sacrifice their dignity, self-respect, integrity, common decency, and anything else they think necessary for the sole purpose of winning the game at any cost, in my experience those types of coaches are in the minority rather than the majority.

They are certainly more memorable than coaches who choose to conduct themselves otherwise.

Quote:

And umpires most assuredly are the guardians of the game. We are the only impartial participants, and are necessary to the integrity of the sport.
I find myself pretty much in agreement with these statements.

Too many people have a fundamental misunderstanding of the process of human perception and the degree to which impartiality contributes to the relative accuracy of that process.

Having a competent and impartial arbiter participating in the game improves the overall quality of the game for all who participate or even observe.

Quote:

Without us, games would be chaos and meaningless wastes of time.
When I was a child, I would often play "pick-up" games with whatever kids in the neighborhood I could find. The games would often end chaotically, most commonly over an irredeemable dispute over whether a player was out or safe or some such thing.

But, in retrospect, I wouldn't say they were "meaningless wastes of time".

JMO.

JM

Mr Ray Wed Jul 11, 2007 04:59am

[QUOTE=spokanelurker]I’m startled by the degree of rancor expressed toward coaches on this site. Do the most critical of you truly see yourselves as guardians of the game, and coaches as its enemies? How do you justify all the name-calling (rats, cheaters, liars, child abusers, etc.) in the same posts where you paint yourselves as victims of similar offenses?[/QUOTE

If you have been around long enough you should have noticed how the umps on this forum are nasty to ANYONE that comes here even their own kind. Just follow how this thread has devolved into a personal urinating match over nothing. I stopped posting here b/c of it. So now I suppose I'll get the inevitable flames. But before you do that remember: if the shoe fits.......

SanDiegoSteve Wed Jul 11, 2007 05:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachJM
My experience is somewhat different than yours.

Yes, it is. And when you've umpired as many games as I have, which would be quite a feat in itself, then perhaps you would have a much different perspective. You will have worked many seasons of baseball, and dealt with every kind of manager, coach, and player imaginable, and will have noted a recurring theme concerning the behavior of the majority. It's not a small few who are rats, it's a small few who are not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmpireJM
:cool:

When I was a child, I would often play "pick-up" games with whatever kids in the neighborhood I could find. The games would often end chaotically, most commonly over an irredeemable dispute over whether a player was out or safe or some such thing.

But, in retrospect, I wouldn't say they were "meaningless wastes of time".

But they were what they were. Pick-up games. I played in pick-up games nearly every weekend until I stopped playing ball (and started umpiring instead). That is what MLB games would become without umpires, pick-up games. Nothing wrong with pick-up games. It would probably be a hoot for awhile to watch the meltdown, but it wouldn't count for much of anything without the order and realism that having an arbiter provides.

mbyron Wed Jul 11, 2007 07:54am

Quote:

Rancor? Have you been around this board long enough to discern the emotional states of the various posters?

Umpires call coaches rats for a reason. Naturally, it's annoying when a coach comes to an official's board and complains that an official's call "cost him the game." Aside from being total sh!te, he's begging us to throw the official under the bus, based only on his biased account. What would one expect there, open arms?

Anyone who fails to understand how coaches "work" officials is either naive, ignorant, or insensible.

spokanelurker Wed Jul 11, 2007 08:57am

Long-time coach, and proud of it. Now merely an observer, and friend of the game. Byron, San Diego and MrUmpire, thanks for proving my point. And as far as wasting bandwith here, freedom of speech, and all that.

Tim C Wed Jul 11, 2007 09:08am

Well,

spokane:

Just maybe you're one of the tools that Garth has told us about in his wonderful stories of rats in Spokane.

"If players and coaches didn't lie and cheat you wouldn't need umpires."

Factual statement after working my 39th season I have documented proof of this.

This is an umpire site . . . when rats come here they are free meat.

Regards,

spokanelurker Wed Jul 11, 2007 09:55am

Wondered how long it would take someone to make the Spokane connection with Garth. Love the name-calling, Tim--reference my first post! Again, thanks for supporting my point.

Rich Wed Jul 11, 2007 09:58am

Quote:

Does that include the sandlot games everyone claims to remember with fondness? Those games had neither a coach nor an umpire yet I don't recall anyone claiming they were meaningless wastes of time.

No. Umpires are only needed once adult coaches get involved.

Rich Wed Jul 11, 2007 09:59am

Quote:

Long-time coach, and proud of it. Now merely an observer, and friend of the game. Byron, San Diego and MrUmpire, thanks for proving my point. And as far as wasting bandwith here, freedom of speech, and all that.

Please reference the First Amendment and then please tell us how freedom of speech applies to a privately owned message board.

Tim C Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:06am

spokane:

And "eteamz" would be a great place for you to go.

I do not understand why coaches think they have a value posting to an umpire website. It just makes me chuckle . . .

And spokane (species: ratamusamoungus):

" . . . and friend of the game."

Don't you dare think you have anymore of this understanding of the game than any of us.

Regards,

spokanelurker Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:20am

Maybe just you, Tim, for one. Regards.

Tim C Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:32am

Man,

God I love the "ignore" function.

Peace at last.

I Love Turtles,

Rich Ives Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:53am

Quote:

Newsflash Slick, most of us are or were ballplayers. To successfully umpire, you have to approach it from a different perspective than that of a player.

Newsflash Steve - the same applies to managing.

Canuck Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:00pm

I nearly fell off my chair laughing when reading the whole post about being guardians of the game. The job is an umpire is to call balls and strikes and ensure a game is played fairly - the second this job erupts into something more is where we get the big egos.

Like I said, I always teach my kids to respect umpires. In the same way you call us child abusers and cheaters, I could call you racists (Bruce Froemming) and power-hungry losers. I don't do that because I realize the majority of umps are in it for the kids and do not possess the attitude displayed on this board.

One problem, I think, with baseball is the lack of penalties. Officials from other sports have experience dealing with intolerable behaviour because they have varied penalties to apply that are not quite as severe as removing someone from a ball game (in the real world you can't just toss someone who upsets you). Also, remember that coaches have little power to control a bad or power hungry umpire (they do exist, I have read some of your posts about bad partners).

Coaches, although you may see them as rats, are the ones who are shaping youth by teaching baseball skills but also life skills. Umpires do not do that. Most coaches also do it out of a love of the game and a desire to work with young people - unlike you, they are not paid. It's a shame you don't respect that.

Over the years I have grown close with a few umpires who have called my games. I have told them about some of the posts and attitudes here and have found them to be equally disgusted. I encourage some of you coaches to do the same; you will realize this is a phenomenom unique to this board and the type of umpire drawn to such online discussions.

Cheers!

Canuck Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim C
Don't you dare think you have anymore of this understanding of the game than any of us.

Tim, you know the rules. Thus, if I needed to know something like how many feet ahead of the plate a player can be when bunting, I would ask you. You also know about umpire mechanics, substitutions, and perhaps a little bit about game management (although some of the folks on this board make me think otherwise).

An understanding of the game, however, also includes an ability to teach skills, deal with players, set strategy (offensive and defensive), run practices, improve a team's running game, decide when to bunt/hit and run, give signals to players, and provide an overall positive experience to anyone associated with a team. I would assume you have very little clue about these aspects of the game.

Don't you dare think you have anymore of this understanding of the game than me and other good coaches.

mbyron Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:37pm

Quote:

Byron, San Diego and MrUmpire, thanks for proving my point.

Point? You never made a point. Your first post in the thread was:
Quote:

That's 2 questions and an expression of being startled. Nope, no point there.

Do you have a point?

mcrowder Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canuck
I nearly fell off my chair laughing when reading the whole post about being guardians of the game. The job is an umpire is to call balls and strikes and ensure a game is played fairly - the second this job erupts into something more is where we get the big egos.

Like I said, I always teach my kids to respect umpires.

You truly have no idea what you're talking about. Let's take you at your word that YOU respect umpires and you teach your kids to do so.

Your experience and perspective is from that point of view. You make an amazingly faulty assumption that since YOU feel this way, most coaches do. Assuming, again, that you truly do believe what you say, you are, sir, EXTREMELY in the minority. Walk a mile in our shoes if you wish to presume that our assertion that MOST coaches are rats is false. You'll make it perhaps half a year before you realize that most coaches are, indeed, exactly as we've described them to you.

Tim C Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:46pm

~tsk, tsk, tsk~

"An understanding of the game, however, also includes an ability to teach skills, deal with players, set strategy (offensive and defensive), run practices, improve a team's running game, decide when to bunt/hit and run, give signals to players, and provide an overall positive experience to anyone associated with a team. I would assume you have very little clue about these aspects of the game."

You know what they say about assuming anything.

Hmm, you've jumped off quite a high cliff here.

As an ex-college and professional player I know a little about the game. Arguably maybe more than you.

Both rats and umpires try hard to make their knowledge mutally exclusive.

I am not some untrained small diamond schmoo . . .

While I don't dare to think I have MORE of an understanding of the game I do know just as much as you, mate.

AND there are at least six to 10 umpires that post here that have an equal knowledge AND there is only one coach who posts here that knows ANYTHING about umpiring.

I will expand my ignore list once more . . .

I Like Turtles,

SanDiegoSteve Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:54pm

Quote:

Like I said, I always teach my kids to respect umpires. In the same way you call us child abusers and cheaters, I could call you racists (Bruce Froemming) and power-hungry losers. I don't do that because I realize the majority of umps are in it for the kids and do not possess the attitude displayed on this board.

One problem, I think, with baseball is the lack of penalties. Officials from other sports have experience dealing with intolerable behaviour because they have varied penalties to apply that are not quite as severe as removing someone from a ball game (in the real world you can't just toss someone who upsets you). Also, remember that coaches have little power to control a bad or power hungry umpire (they do exist, I have read some of your posts about bad partners).

Coaches, although you may see them as rats, are the ones who are shaping youth by teaching baseball skills but also life skills. Umpires do not do that. Most coaches also do it out of a love of the game and a desire to work with young people - unlike you, they are not paid. It's a shame you don't respect that.

Over the years I have grown close with a few umpires who have called my games. I have told them about some of the posts and attitudes here and have found them to be equally disgusted. I encourage some of you coaches to do the same; you will realize this is a phenomenom unique to this board and the type of umpire drawn to such online discussions.

Cheers!

Your entire post makes me want to vomit. Thanks for the misinformation.

You are pretty stupid to think that umpires don't know the game inside and out. Many have managed, coached, and played the game for years.

Why don't you just get off this site if you don't like what is said here. Go hang out with your disgusted umpire buddies.

Makes me want to puke, I'm friggin' serious.

Rich Ives Wed Jul 11, 2007 01:59pm

Quote:

You are pretty stupid to think that umpires don't know the game inside and out. Many have managed, coached, and played the game for years.

If you're going to lump all coaches into one group wouldn't it be proper to lump all umpires also?

If you want to not include small field beginner umpires shouldn't you also not include small filed beginner coaches?

Some coaches do idiotic things. That doesn't mean all do.

Most umpires know the game inside and out. Some are "less aware". Or are all those "high five outs" and similar posts not true?

If you want to claim the high ground on fairness and integrity, do it across the board.

canadaump6 Wed Jul 11, 2007 02:17pm

If you're going to lump all coaches into one group wouldn't it be proper to lump all umpires also?

No kidding. I've been taunted and treated like dirt over the past year, both here and at umpire.org. Never once did I generalize a few forum jerks to the entire umpiring population. On the other hand, we've got some of these same jerks stereotyping all coaches as rats who cheat to win ballgames. What gives?

If you ask me, anyone who hates all coaches but continues to make a career out of umpiring their ballgames probably doesn't have much going on in their life outside of umpiring. I've got one of two options for people like TimC who don't like or respect the very same people that they are on the ball diamond to serve:

1) Get your fat *** out of umpiring.
2) Learn to respect the coaches who are paying you, and deal properly with the troublesome ones.

JRutledge Wed Jul 11, 2007 02:38pm

I do not care what sport or what level you work, coaches have agendas. Coaches are inherently bias and very few of them ever approach the rules or a position other than how it affected them personally. And baseball is the only sport where it is common place for coaches to create a conflict so that they are perceived as "sticking up for their team."

I hate to say "all" about anyone that displays a specific behavior. But from a baseball umpire standpoint is really hard not to use that when talking about how coaches are idiots and they complain about things they clearly do not see or have any idea about.

Peace

UmpLarryJohnson Wed Jul 11, 2007 02:42pm

ahhhh, the squeeking of RATS. So pleasant in the summertime.

If you RODENTS are so self-assured, confident and SMART, WHY do you feel COMPELLED to post on an UMPIRE site all about how WOUNDED you are?

Do UMPIRES infest your COACHES forums and indignently tell you how to BUNT the runner to the next base or WHEN to pull that tired RHP, or how to hit the CURVE BALL?

COURSE NOT. Because that is YOUR province, and the APPLICATION of the RULES are OURS. Now quitcher*****in and go give a clinic on STEALING SIGNS or something on ETEAMZ.

lawump Wed Jul 11, 2007 02:44pm

If there are any coaches here who have coached or played on the professional level...feel free to let me know...and I'll be glad to let you know why professional managers are rats. I'll also be willing to compare and contrast your "understanding and knowledge" of baseball with mine.

Simply put: "Nice guys finish last" (a famous quote from a famous coach) is simply another way of saying "you have to be a Rat to be a winner".

"Nice guys finish last" is a hall-of-fame coach stating that you have to be a dick to be a winner. A dick to your own players, sometimes, a dick to the other team and especially a dick to the umpires.

While I don't know if that statement is true or not, I can conclusively state that 80% or more of professional managers believe it to be true.

Don Mueller Wed Jul 11, 2007 02:47pm

Quote:

No kidding. I've been taunted and treated like dirt over the past year, both here and at umpire.org. Never once did I generalize a few forum jerks to the entire umpiring population. On the other hand, we've got some of these same jerks stereotyping all coaches as rats who cheat to win ballgames. What gives?

If you ask me, anyone who hates all coaches but continues to make a career out of umpiring their ballgames probably doesn't have much going on in their life outside of umpiring. I've got one of two options for people like TimC who don't like or respect the very same people that they are on the ball diamond to serve:

2) Learn to respect the coaches who are paying you, and deal properly with the troublesome ones.

I know that in my full time job, if all my customers were liars, cheaters, whiners and child abusers I would find another job and another industry.

JRutledge Wed Jul 11, 2007 02:56pm

Quote:

I will not put myself in a category of hating all coaches. I will say I respect only a handful of coaches. But to address your little points I will say this to you.

#1--I am far from fat. I am in better shape than many players I umpire.

#2--I do not know any coaches that pay me. I get paid by the conference, assignor or school. Dealing with coaches is a necessary evil.

Peace

JRutledge Wed Jul 11, 2007 02:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Mueller
I know that in my full time job, if all my customers were liars, cheaters, whiners and child abusers I would find another job and another industry.

Umpiring is not a full time job for most of us. So what is your point? ;)

Peace

stmaryrams Wed Jul 11, 2007 03:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
I do not care what sport or what level you work, coaches have agendas. Coaches are inherently bias and very few of them ever approach the rules or a position other than how it affected them personally. And baseball is the only sport where it is common place for coaches to create a conflict so that they are perceived as "sticking up for their team."

The best quote on this subject. I do have to side with some of those who feel the Baseball portion of these boards is usually in attack mode. I do not work baseball but do officiate both basketball and volleyball and have coached baseball for 10 years. I must be one of the few coaches who as a fellow official gives all due repect to the umpires working my game. If I do not understand a call I ask a question. I do not openly discuss or comment on judgement calls. It bothers me to listen to our parents complain about a call against our team to the point of going over to them and telling them to basically shut their mouths and keep their opinions to themselves. I realize from working other sports that the angle I see may not be the same as the official but 99% of the time they are both closer to the play and in position to make the call. I appreciate the work that these men and women do in all types of weather so that my team can have a fair game. Many of the people I work with in basketball and volleyball are also baseball umpires. If I have a game situation I may talk with one of them....after the game for future reference. This is similar to a coach posting to this forum. We all run into situations where a coach is ill informed about a rule. I guess this might be a cause for the feelings on this board toward coaches. I've never seen an umpire act the way many on this board seem to post on here. With few exceptions every umpire I've dealt with is always professional. I applaud those coaches who post here to learn more from the other side of the plate.

Can't we all just get along?

Don Mueller Wed Jul 11, 2007 03:30pm

Quote:

Umpiring is not a full time job for most of us. So what is your point? ;)

Peace

If all my customers were liars, cheaters, whiners and child abusers I would find another job and another industry.

JRutledge Wed Jul 11, 2007 03:44pm

Quote:

If all my customers were liars, cheaters, whiners and child abusers I would find another job and another industry.

I do not consider coaches customers. If you are an assignor they might be. But to an independent contractor that can pick and choose where I go and whom I work for, I do not see that same connection. When the money is not the only motivation for umpiring as it would be with "customers" in a business, I disagree with your analogy you are trying to make with umpiring and a job or business.

Not liking one aspect of a job does not mean I will quit the job. I do not like everything family members do, that does not mean I will not hang around anyone in my family because of a couple of flaws that I personally see. I might think coaches are most of those things you just described them to be, but what they complain about is not going to change my call. It just shows I identify their behavior and we move on. If they do not move on, they will not be around until the end of the game. I know I will be around until the game is over.

Peace

UmpLarryJohnson Wed Jul 11, 2007 03:46pm

LAWUMP has said it perfectly, and has clearly a LOT OF EXPERIENCE in the PEST CONTROL BUSINESS. RATS have AGENDAS, and are BIASED de facto. They will do WHATEVER they can to win including LYING, SUCKING UP, and STABBING a unsuspecting umpire in the back if thats what it takes. They dont have a JOB if they dont WIN. They would PUT THEIR MOTHER ON A STREET CORNER to WIN.

The UMPIRES have NO agenda other than to the RULES. They shouldnt give a FIG who wins, only that both sides are only allowed to CHEAT, SCREW EACH OTHER, and play BUSH BASEBALL EQUALLY. (thats a small joke-ok). Do UMPIRES make mistakes??? G-D they do! But theres no AGENDA, or SABOTAGE PLAN to make 1 side lose, despite what RATS say.

I dont take any RAT behavior PERSONALLY. I just KNOW What they are, WHAT they do, and HOW they act. Like the ANIMALS they resembel, they are always TRUE to thier NATURE. Do you HATE a dog for licking its ****? COURSE NOT. ITs what dogs DO!

So, when RATS try to justifie their behavior with BULLSPIT, we UMPIRES see it for what it is. And SAY SO. especialy when they COME to a UMPIRES forum to spout NONSENSE. Ask a RULES question get it answered... JEHOVAH KNOWS we need more RODENTS with better rules knowlege.

BUT SQUEEK, WHINE, CRY ABOUT THE SAND IN YOUR VAGINA about that the last umpire who GOT YOU on that BALK call when your pitcher aparently never HEARD of a "DISERNABLE PAUSE", and how it COST you the OMYGODWORLDFREEKIN 7U CHAMPEENSHIP OF THE OUTER UNIVERSE, then SCURRY OFF and NEST SOMEWHERE ELSE.

Rich Wed Jul 11, 2007 03:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmpLarryJohnson
BUT SQUEEK, WHINE, CRY ABOUT THE SAND IN YOUR VAGINA

The Borat movie taught me the proper pronunciation is "va-zheen." HTH.

mcrowder Wed Jul 11, 2007 04:42pm

Quote:

Coaches are not my customers. And therein lies the difference between my perception on this issue, and yours. If you walk onto the field expecting the coaches to be your customers, and treating them accordingly, you are doing the game a huge disservice.

Don Mueller Wed Jul 11, 2007 05:03pm

Quote:

I do not consider coaches customers. If you are an assignor they might be.

If there were no teams, no coaches, no players how many assignors would be calling you?
I don't want to argue over who the customer is in the umpire world, that wasn't my point, but I think you are naive if you think the assignor is your ultimate customer.

Quote:

But to an independent contractor that can pick and choose where I go and whom I work for, I do not see that same connection.

Everyone is an independent contractor and can pick and choose where they go.

Quote:

When the money is not the only motivation for umpiring as it would be with "customers" in a business,

I feel sad for anyone whose only motivation is money, no matter what the business.
But you see my point even if you don't recognize it.
If all or most of the people within the enviorment in which you practiced your trade were liars, cheaters, whiners and child abusers why would any one want to voluntarily stay in that enviorment? Unless of course you were a social worker.

Quote:

I disagree with your analogy you are trying to make with umpiring and a job or business.

I don't think you were the one saying all coaches were liars, cheaters, whiners and child abusers. So unless the shoe fits perhaps my point isn't directed or meant for you and therefore does not resonate with you.

ozzy6900 Wed Jul 11, 2007 06:45pm

I really love when a Rat gets "whacked" on this forum. He starts to quiver and squirm on the floor, then all the other Rats come out to try to help him and they too wind up a quivering mass of jelly in the corner! :D

Tim C Wed Jul 11, 2007 06:49pm

~Phock!~

"I feel sad for anyone whose only motivation is money, no matter what the business."

I have found a place for you. Move to "the State of Portland" . . . outside of SF the most liberal place in America. If not Communist at least Socialist . . .

Your philosophy as listed above will fit perfectly.

I work ONLY for money . . . be it my job or umpiring ("the money" is followed closely by "the power").

It is odd for me to see someone tell me "my motivation" for working . . .

Again Don, we see umpiring (and now the world) differently.

Is there no question left why we are on opposite ends of every issue?

Regards,

BTW, I would STILL have a cold adult beverage with you.

Tim C Wed Jul 11, 2007 06:52pm

WOW Ozzy

I want more of "Canuk" and "SpokaneLuker" two of the farthest "out theres" we have had.

Truly pieces of work.

Regards,

UmpJM Wed Jul 11, 2007 06:58pm

Don,

Quote:

Should the opportunity present itself, I would strongly encourage you to take advantage. It will be time "well spent".

Tim,

Given your recent fondness for terrapins, I couldn't help but wonder if you were able to get one of those nifty "Zombie" facepaint jobs.

John

BigUmp56 Wed Jul 11, 2007 07:01pm

John,

I'm hoping we can lure Tee to "The Bend" to take in a few pre-game cold ones with us this Fall. The tickets are on me.

Tim.

spokanelurker Wed Jul 11, 2007 07:03pm

OK. Here I am--what do you want? And what exactly made me one of the "farthest out theres" you've had on the board? Although my subsequent posts portray me, quite accurately, as a smart ***, my original one was relatively innocuous, and while it has been much ridiculed, it still hasn't been answered.

UmpJM Wed Jul 11, 2007 07:08pm

And the gods smile on Tee and Ozzy....

JM

SanDiegoSteve Wed Jul 11, 2007 07:18pm

Quote:

OK. Here I am--what do you want? And what exactly made me one of the "farthest out theres" you've had on the board? Although my subsequent posts portray me, quite accurately, as a smart ***, my original one was relatively innocuous, and while it has been much ridiculed, it still hasn't been answered.

Your original post was answered, by me, in post # 23 of this thread. It needs no further answer, as mine was quite succinct. Go back to page 2 and look it up.

ozzy6900 Wed Jul 11, 2007 07:19pm

Hmmm, it seems that this Rat is not smart enough to hide in the shadows with his friends. I think he needs another "whack" from the big stick!

Here's a tip, Rat! Don't go behind the refrigerator because Tee put an extra special Rat Trap back there. You know, the kind that will just about take your head off in one strike! Or worse, you could get your leg caught and we can all sit and watch you chew your leg off while we throw things at you!

UmpJM Wed Jul 11, 2007 07:23pm

Quote:

John,

I'm hoping we can lure Tee to "The Bend" to take in a few pre-game cold ones with us this Fall. The tickets are on me.

Tim.

Tim,

Works for me. Except for the "on you" part; I believe it's my turn.

John

spokanelurker Wed Jul 11, 2007 07:43pm

Hiding in the shadows, Ozzie? That's you, buddy! Go back and read my first post, and your latest one, and if the definition of the term "irony" eludes you, look it up. You're the man!

canadaump6 Wed Jul 11, 2007 08:00pm

I wish that there was more decency from a few people on this board. Tim stands out in my mind the most, but also Ozzy and a number of others bring really poor attitudes to these boards.

BigUmp56 Wed Jul 11, 2007 08:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachJM
Tim,

Works for me. Except for the "on you" part; I believe it's my turn.

John

Ha-ha-ha

If you can find them, John, I'll humor you and let you flip for them this time. If not they're on me once again. Love the clock by the way!

Tim.

BigUmp56 Wed Jul 11, 2007 08:05pm

Quote:

I wish that there was more decency from a few people on this board. Tim stands out in my mind the most, but also Ozzy and a number of others bring really poor attitudes to these boards.

I think that if you're willing to just listen to what some of the more grizzled vets of this board have to say you'll find them to be a great bunch of guys. It's ironic that you'd mention the two members you just did as ones with bad attitudes. When I first came here they were all over me for posting dumb garbage. Now, along with Steve they're the ones I consult with the most on issues away from the forum. I've yet to have any one of them not give me an encouraging word when needed or a kick in the arse if that's what they felt was warranted. Just hang in there and you'll see what I mean.

Tim.

mbyron Wed Jul 11, 2007 08:52pm

Quote:

Yeah, both those guys post in the nude.

Rich Ives Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:20pm

Quote:

I work ONLY for money . . . be it my job or umpiring ("the money" is followed closely by "the power").

Regards,

So more power to you Tee. If you won't do something unless you are paid, that's your choice.

But there are multitudes that do not subscribe to that position and they are not lesser people for being different.

We have a youth "baseball" program consisting, this year, of 27 Little League baseball teams, five girls softball teams, and four "teener" baseball teams. All volunteer.

Our league started in 1952 and has operated continuously and successfully ever since. And in all that time, not one person be it administrator, concession operations, coaches, or umpires has ever been paid one red cent. Yet people continue to volunteer their time and give their money to support the program. I'm glad we have people who will work for something other than money.

And Tee, we're not alone. There are thousands upon thousands of volunteer organizations around the country who thrive because there are people willing to DONATE their time and efforts to the success of whatever their program is.

And, Tee, "different" and "wrong" are not synonyms. Accept people's motivation for what it is and don't reject them or look upon them with disdain because their motivation is not what you wish it to be or thnk it should be.

DG Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:33pm

Quote:

You started this 80 post (so far) diatribe about rats with this seemingly harmless post. Let me offer a suggestion for the next game where a young 13 year pitcher of little or no experience will not come to a stop.

After the half inning approach the HC, tell him his pitcher is not coming to a stop when runners are on base, ie a balk. You haven't called it because it is obvious that he his young and inexperienced and doesn't know any better. But this is an easy thing to instruct so you expect him to do so before he takes the mound again and if the pitcher will not come to a stop in the next inning you are going to balk him every time. A 13 year old should be able to understand STOP, otherwise he will never be a good pitcher.

If they are stealing so easily you may be actually saving time to balk the runner to 2B than letting the play go on. And, if the pitcher will STOP, for different amounts of time, it should lead to less steal attempts.

Give the other HC the same discussion if deserving and then there will be no need for the 7th inning complaint and you will have saved some future umpire a pain also.

TussAgee11 Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:38pm

Off the field admission...

I'd never even think this on the field. But I understand why rats hate umpires. Its the attitudes that have been evident on baseball fields, and quite frankly, threads like these. But at the same time, I understand why umpires hate rats, because quite frankly, I hate most of them all the time, and all of them when I'm on the field. As a fellow member of this board told me today, quoting Mark Hirschbeck: "Squash 'em all like F***ing bugs".

What concerns me is that the next time I go umpire a game, a coach that has read this thread, or experienced similar conjecture or attitudes from umpires in the past (which certainly has happened), will lump me, the umpire, into a larger group of egotistical maniac umpires who hate all coaches as openly as we see in this thread (I do hate all coaches while on the field, but I keep that secret to myself). So now my day at the field has been made harder by other umpires, in a very similar way that it is made harder when the umpire in a team's previous game misapplied a rule and when I make the correct ruling I get a s***storm. The coach stereotypes all umpires the same way umpires stereotype all coaches.

Who cares what came first? Coaches hating umpires, or umpires hating coaches? Its a part of the game, seperate yourself from this nonsense of worrying about it, and go call the game. And be ready to "squash em like bugs" if neccessary.

DG Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:27pm

I don't hate coaches. I was one once (12 years). I understand their motivations for arguments, and sometimes their frustrations. I think it is a plus to have once been a coach. Their arguments don't bother me. I know I can get rid of them if I need to. I don't hold grudges.

I know some coaches who never argue. If these coaches come out there is a 90% chance you screwed the call. But they will discuss calmly and hear what you have to say and go back to the dugout without busting a chair up or thowing one 50 feet. And then there are coaches who come out when you know darn well the call was an easy one and you wonder why they are there to argue.

I am not aware of a coach who hates me and I certainly don't hate any coach I know. There are some I admire and respect and some I am wary of, but none I hate.

JRutledge Thu Jul 12, 2007 01:17am

Quote:

If there were no teams, no coaches, no players how many assignors would be calling you?
I don't want to argue over who the customer is in the umpire world, that wasn't my point, but I think you are naive if you think the assignor is your ultimate customer.

Don I work three sports, two of them I work college ball and I have yet to answer to any coach about anything. Most supervisors I work for have expectations and when you meet those expectations; they tend to support you to coaches. I also have never been hired in a conference because a coach liked me. I have been around the block and I have had some very serious conflicts with some coaches over the years only to have the supervisor completely support me. Why? Because I followed procedures and expectations of the supervisor I am currently working for. Coaches have agendas and they will get mad about anything that does not go their way. When you follow common procedures or rules, the supervisor can easily support you. So you can say the coach is the customer, but not if you know what the hell you are doing they are not.

Quote:

I feel sad for anyone whose only motivation is money, no matter what the business.
But you see my point even if you don't recognize it.
If all or most of the people within the enviorment in which you practiced your trade were liars, cheaters, whiners and child abusers why would any one want to voluntarily stay in that enviorment? Unless of course you were a social worker.

I do not feel sorry for anyone that works for money. Money pays bills, buys things like houses and cars and puts people through college and might even help fun a business. So a lot of people will put up with a lot of things because there is money as apart of deal. I know I would not work many places unless the pay is right.

Quote:

I don't think you were the one saying all coaches were liars, cheaters, whiners and child abusers. So unless the shoe fits perhaps my point isn't directed or meant for you and therefore does not resonate with you.

Do not police officers deal with those kinds of people every day, but they still love their jobs right? I really do not know why you are so stuck on the opinion people have about coaches. Just because many think coaches are scoundrels, does not take away from the enjoyment of our job. I do not trust many coaches but that just means I know who and what I am dealing with when things do not go their way. I do not trust most coaches and know that when things do not go their way they will try to whine, complain and even tell me how to do my job. Then I have responses for all those things. And if I cannot get them to understand they are stepping out of line, they will not be around. Then I do not have to worry about what they think for the rest of the day.

I even know as an official that I will have to work with other officials that I do not like. If I was so worried about what everyone thought I would just stay at home all day and every day.

Peace

fitump56 Thu Jul 12, 2007 01:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by TussAgee11
I'd never even think this on the field. But I understand why rats hate umpires. Its the attitudes that have been evident on baseball fields, and quite frankly, threads like these.

More to come........

Quote:

But at the same time, I understand why umpires hate rats, because quite frankly, I hate most of them all the time, and all of them when I'm on the field. As a fellow member of this board told me today, quoting Mark Hirshbeck: "Squash 'em all like F***ing bugs".
Quite frankly, more to come...

Quote:

What concerns me is that the next time I go umpire a game, a coach that has read this thread, or experienced similar conjecture or attitudes from umpires in the past (which certainly has happened), will lump me, the umpire, into a larger group of egotistical maniac umpires who hate all coaches as openly as we see in this thread (I do hate all coaches while on the field, but I keep that secret to myself).
But if the coaches you memntion are reading this thread and you think that your secret is secret...forget it, more to come...

Quote:

So now my day at the field has been made harder by other umpires, in a very similar way that it is made harder when the umpire in a team's previous game misapplied a rule and when I make the correct ruling I get a s***storm. The coach stereotypes all umpires the same way umpires stereotype all coaches.
:eek: Imagine that (psst) your secret is secret with me...unless coaches are reading this and...forget it, more to come....

Quote:

Who cares what came first? Coaches hating umpires, or umpires hating coaches? Its a part of the game, seperate yourself from this nonsense of worrying about it, and go call the game. And be ready to "squash em like bugs" if neccessary.
Sounder advice in a post I have never been more confused over. :p :D :eek:

fitump56 Thu Jul 12, 2007 01:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG
I don't hate coaches.
I am not aware of a coach who hates me and I certainly don't hate any coach I know. There are some I admire and respect and some I am wary of, but none I hate.

Sir, we will have none of that sane talk about the real world that few on this "I hate Rats" forum will admit to. :p

fitump56 Thu Jul 12, 2007 02:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by aceholleran
I didn't get the whole "rat" thing my first few years of umpiring.

I had this misguided "be a nice guy--no one will get mad at you" notion, until someone set me straight. He was a local guy who had umped about four seasons of organized ball.

He basically said what some of you have iterated: They will bend you, cajole you, suck up to you and [bleep] you at every turn.

Here's a great example: Big game, tightly contested, then things turn sour for the Weasels one inning, and their ace allows 3-4 runs.

After the inning, I (PU) am standing on the foul line, all by my lonesome. The Weasels' manager sidles up to me, all nice like.

"Jeeze," he says, "that kid [his pitcher] hasn't had that bad an inning all year. He's a nice kid."

So, like a dope, I answer him in kind. "Yeah, skip. He looked good to me the first coupla innings, and then he just seemed to lose it for a few batters."

Suddenly, Rattus changes his tone of voice. "And your lousy strike zone ain't helpin' him neither."

QED.

Ace in CT

Here's another viewpoint. You have learned that people are systematically dishonest. Wow. "Welcome to the world, won't you come on in."

Look at this forum, the dishonesty and the disingenuity is a perfect study in human nature.

Oh, I can hear the Forum Elite (100,000 post Members and their Poodle Pups) bleating about their honesty..all the "rats" are the dishonest ones. :eek: :p

When Mr. Rattus said what he said, you had two choices. Be hurt over the fact that he was being dishonest ( a truly irrational view of humans) or be comfortable and adjust. Don't stop having these talks, coaches with agendas are everywhere. Because if you are realistic, you are also prepared.

"Coach, here I thought we were good buddies. I suppose there is no use in speaking to each other again. It would be too painful. Understood?"

ozzy6900 Thu Jul 12, 2007 07:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron
Yeah, both those guys post in the nude.

Well Tee does but I keep my G-string on when I post! :D :D

ozzy6900 Thu Jul 12, 2007 07:15am

Quote:

Heh, heh, heh!
A poor attitude is better than no attitude at all!

As I said once before, if you hate the attitude here, how do you deal with the attitudes on the field?

You are welcome to post but no one is twisting your arm to do so. If you post, you open yourself to praise or ridicule. And when you show us that you can take it like a man, we will treat you as such. If you act like a spoiled child and whine, pi$$ and moan, you will be treated accordingly! It is taking you a long time to learn this, but I am confident that one day, you will understand. But for now, you will go back into the penalty box.

Canuck Thu Jul 12, 2007 08:39am

Tim, your threat of putting me on an ignore list is particularly humorous. You will do no such thing. In the same way you open this thread, you will continue to read my posts. We all know how this works. In the real world, my friend, you cannot wave your arms and eject someone whenever they upset you.

I give you some credit for at least admitting that I know AS MUCH as you about the game, although I'm unsure how you can at least make that assumption without knowing who I am or what level I work at.

It is true that us coaches have agendas. These "agendas" go beyond winning a game, but include things like teaching, mentoring, organizing, and providing a memorable experience for players and families. Do you really think most of us get into this business (and, unlike you, we are not paid) for the pure joy of winning a few ballgames?

Looking at your attitude, please tell me how you would motivate someone new and young to get into coaching (which I would argue is THE most important role in baseball today) - if you have already pre-judged them as being a rat, liar, etc., and will continually walk onto a baseball field with this, frankly prejudiced, chip on your shoulder.

If you folks were in the majority then I would really fear for the game. I take solice in knowing that this is not the case and that your attempts to "belittle" us coaches is just a mob mentality coming from the type of person who is attracted to "Internet umpiring".

As to why coaches post and read this board, it is because it provides us with another medium to learn about the game - maybe if you folks did the same your experience on the field would be a lot more positive. We can learn a lot from each other if you just lost the attitude.

And again, I always teach my kids to respect umpires. Maybe you should give us the same courtesy.

See ya tomorrow!

bob jenkins Thu Jul 12, 2007 09:23am

My take on the whole debate: Coaches (all of them) and umpires (all of them) have different "goals" for the game (little "g" game -- not the big "G" Game of Baseball). That leads to the conflict. And, while not every coach acts like a "rat" during every game, (almost) all are capable of it and we've been hit over the head with a 2x4 often enought that when we see a coach approaching with one we don't ask "what are you going to build?"

And, while not every umpire acts like a redass every time, all that stick in the "profession" learn how to do it as a matter of survival, and you see it enough to think that we're "all" looking to get you.

Shrug.

mbyron Thu Jul 12, 2007 09:40am

Quote:

Looking at your attitude, please tell me how you would motivate someone new and young to get into coaching (which I would argue is THE most important role in baseball today) - if you have already pre-judged them as being a rat, liar, etc., and will continually walk onto a baseball field with this, frankly prejudiced, chip on your shoulder.

I can't speak for Tim, but why should umpires as such be concerned with motivating people to go into coaching? As fans of the game in general, perhaps, but not as umpires.

As for prejudice: it serves the end of impartiality for umpires to be skeptical of (I do not say hostile toward) coaches, who often try to manipulate us. That is: our skeptical attitude makes us better umpires. Isn't that a good thing? To declare that this is "prejudice" is mere name-calling.

Typical rat mantra: "why can't we all get along (as long as I'm getting MY way)?"

Don Mueller Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:14am

TIM TIm Tim tim

I thought we were making such good progress, I really felt a bond growing between us after finding common ground on parents yelling at umps.
Now I don't think you're even trying.

First things first.

Quote:

"I feel sad for anyone whose only motivation is money, no matter what the business."

I have found a place for you. Move to "the State of Portland" . . . outside of SF the most liberal place in America. If not Communist at least Socialist . . .

Your philosophy as listed above will fit perfectly.

A more capitalistic, fiscal and social conservative man you will never have the privilege of insulting.
Whatever you have inferred or assumed from my post you're wrong.

Quote:

So your "only motivation" is not money, but also power, so you'll be happy to know that in this case I do not feel sad for you.

Quote:

I never told anyone what their motivation is, was or should be I only said "I feel sad for anyone whose only motivation is money"
Nowhere did I infer what motivates you.

Quote:

You clearly are motivated to paint me as your opposite regardless of my actual views.
I'm trying so hard to ingratiate myself to you but you keep pushing me away.
Sometimes I think I'm the only one trying in this relationship.

Quote:

I'll take you up on it the next time I venture into the land of Karl

Rich Ives Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:15am

Darn guys, it's the coach's job to try to gain an advantage. It's yours to push back. It's a form of negotiation, though one must admit it gets heated at times.

When your kid misses curfew it is accompanied by an excuse that is presented as reasonable. This can create loud discussions. You don't buy it and ground them. But you don't go on the internet and claim your kid is a rat for trying to get you to see it their way.

Mike L Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:21am

I think it is unfortunate that some clearly fail to recognize that the attitude with which they walk onto a field is more often than not clearly evident to everyone else there. And that applies to players, coaches, and umpires. If you are in "confrontation mode" from the outset, it can do nothing but create a confrontation situation which is rarely a good thing. I don't know how you can possibly walk onto a field with the attitude all coaches are rats and all players are baby rats and not think it effects how you call a game and I would submit that it effects it in a bad way. Why the seeming prevalent belief that one must have this sort of attitude to correctly call a game? I just don't get it.
Personally I try to remember that the coaches have a vested interested in seeing the play the way the want to see it. It may be because it's part of their livelyhood, or an ego thing, or simply because his kid is on the team. Yeah, some coaches are a pain, but I really think the ones that are truly worthy of the rat title are few and far between unless I adopt the attitude that any question is an assault on my integrity which will escalate the confrontation. Got news for ya, it's not. They are doing their job just as I'm doing mine of being an impartial enforcer of the rules. If I begin to drift into the "this guy and all like him are rats" thinking then I can't see how impartiallity is possible.
So to end this long boring post, I'll simply relate a recent story about a coach coming out to question a call. He didn't like it, it cost him a run, but I gave him his say. In response I phrased my answer so that he clearly knew what I saw, why I ruled in such a manner and made it clear I didn't hold it against him. As he turned to leave, I heard this comment from the nearby stands (his side btw). "Wow, an umpire with a sense of humor. I didn't know we had any of those around here".

SanDiegoSteve Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:36am

Even those of us who realize that players are rats, and that coaches are rats and coke soakers, walk on the field with professionalism. We cheerfully greet the coaches, shake their hands at the plate or whatever. I don't know many successful umpires that are openly hostile to the participants.

There is a big difference between knowing that they are rats (which is a very generic term), and actually letting that affect your judgment.

I have related the story of the partner who came to the plate meeting and started with, "okay, this is your one warning right now, don't argue with me or your gone, do you understand?" I cringed when I heard this, and would never want to enter into a game with this kind of chip on my shoulder. After the game, I immediately called my assignor and had this guy scratched from ever working with me again.

I believe in being really easy-going until you do something rat-like, and then I will pounce all over you like a hobo on a ham sandwich. But I do not come onto a baseball field with any kind of confrontational attitude. I always give the coaches every opportunity to do their jobs. It's not until they step over the line that we have any problem.

Don Mueller Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:10pm

OK J you've goaded me into it:

Quote:

Don I work three sports, two of them I work college ball and I have yet to answer to any coach about anything.

Kings to you for your officiating prowess and and your upward mobility. (No sarcasm intended)

Fortunately for you there were no business marketing and economic questions on the test.

Quote:

Most supervisors I work for have expectations and when you meet those expectations; they tend to support you to coaches. I also have never been hired in a conference because a coach liked me. I have been around the block and I have had some very serious conflicts with some coaches over the years only to have the supervisor completely support me. Why? Because I followed procedures and expectations of the supervisor I am currently working for.

Follow the money J. I'm sure your assignors are great guys but are they paying out of their personal accounts?

There are 3 entities in the equation. League/team > Assignor > Umpire
Where does the money come from? Who hires whom?
The customer is the one paying for the services. How many middle men that payment goes through before it gets to the service provider doesn't matter.

Quote:

Coaches have agendas and they will get mad about anything that does not go their way. When you follow common procedures or rules, the supervisor can easily support you. So you can say the coach is the customer, but not if you know what the hell you are doing they are not.

A general contractor(assignor) is hired to build a building(provide umpiring services), the GC(assignor) sub contracts the fire alarm work(umpiring responsibilities) to an independent fire alarm specialist(FAS)(Umpire). The fire alarm specialist(umpire) installs the system(calls the game) in accordance to specifications(ruleset) provided by the building owner(customer)(league/team). But then the owner(customer)(league/team) decides he wants to eliminate part of the system to save money(wants judgements in his favor). FAS(umpire) says I can't do that,(my integrity is at stake) it's not safe or per code.(Owner)(customer) gets very mad and insists that it's done his way(gets tossed). GC(assignor) steps in and supports the FAS (umpire)because he knows the system has to be put in per code.(knows the customer was a butt and deserved it)
The fact that the owner(customer)(league/team) gets mad or the fact that the GC(assignor) supports or doesn't support the FAS(umpire) does not change who is the owner (customer)(league/team).
Whether the FAS(umpire) is competent or not does not change who is the customer.

Quote:

I do not feel sorry for anyone that works for money. Money pays bills, buys things like houses and cars and puts people through college and might even help fun a business. So a lot of people will put up with a lot of things because there is money as apart of deal. I know I would not work many places unless the pay is right.

Reread my post.
I did not suggest anyone work anywhere if the money wasn't right. In fact I never suggested anyone do anything.
And the implication that I feel sorry for anyone that works for money is plain wrong. You have better comprehension skills than that, please use them.

Quote:

I really do not know why you are so stuck on the opinion people have about coaches.

I simply stated that I would not work a job where everyone or most everyone were liars, cheaters, whiners and child abusers. I also asked the question why would anyone? There's obviously an answer, I just asked the question.
Everyone else seems to be able to share their opinion on coaches, I stated mine albeit as an inference. Why does that mean I'm "stuck on the opinion people have about coaches?"

Don Mueller Thu Jul 12, 2007 01:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAump
Dear Coach,

I feel a bond growing between us. I'm trying to ingratiate myself to you but you keep pushing me away. You are motivated to paint me as your opposite regardless of my views. I thought we were making progress, but sometimes I think I'm the only one trying in this relationship. I can only offer so much wine and cheese.

Love, the Ump. :p

Am I to presume now that an umpire, not a coach, that doesn't buy into the 'all coaches, players and fans are rats, whiners, liars, cheaters and child abusers theory' that said umpire by default becomes a RAT?

Or are you just jealous cause Tim and I have a thing goin?

BTW
Did a 14 travel game solo last night.
Total of 5 coaches
23 players
approx 40 spectators

One run game
2 bangers at first, a caught stealing at 2nd and have no idea if I was right or wrong(that happens on solo games) and a couple missed ball/strike calls.

Not one word from a single player or coach.
One fan in top of 7th yelled that I was blowing the game after a punch out.
Wasn't even one of my missed calls:D

I prefer the Innocent until proven guilty approach. It seems to work well in other aspects of our society.

SanDiegoSteve Thu Jul 12, 2007 01:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAump
Dear Coach,

I feel a bond growing between us. I'm trying to ingratiate myself to you but you keep pushing me away. You are motivated to paint me as your opposite regardless of my views. I thought we were making progress, but sometimes I think I'm the only one trying in this relationship. I can only offer so much wine and cheese.

Love, the Ump. :p

Good post! Try as we may to get along, coaches always find a way to throw us off track, push our buttons, and then get tossed. Gouda or Swiss, Monsieur?

SanDiegoSteve Thu Jul 12, 2007 01:40pm

Don and Canuck have both earned a trip to Ignore Land, to join the other two clowns that have been put there. I hope I don't run out of space there.

mbyron Thu Jul 12, 2007 01:44pm

Quote:

Don and Canuck have both earned a trip to Ignore Land, to join the other two clowns that have been put there. I hope I don't run out of space there.

Good news! The more you add, the more space you have!

We should start a thread sharing our ignore lists...

JRutledge Thu Jul 12, 2007 01:45pm

Don,

Once again I cannot say it any other way. I do not answer to any coach ever. No coach hired me to work a specific game or work in a particular conference. When I work college games the supervisors I work for expect certain things and when you follow those expectations they continue to hire you. Baseball does not have a lot of umpires to work anytime and anywhere, so if a coach gets upset with an umpire, the supervisor might not have a lot of realistic choices to replace that umpire. Not everyone is available to work a 2:00 game in the afternoon if the coach gets thrown out by a certain umpire.

Don, I have attended multiple college camps for basketball and I did not see one coach evaluating me or deciding who they were going to hire to any of these conferences at the D1, D2, D3 and NAIA level.

Now a supervisor might have a different point of view, but I am not a supervisor. I am only an umpire who knows that I will not be liked or loved every time I step onto a field. I also know there are places I will never go back to because of this fact. I also know that I will be around longer than many of the coaches I see. A coach at the D2 level that I worked multiple times is resigned (and adamantly disagreed with my about a rule application and the supervisor supported me and my partner btw) so I am not going to worry about some guy that in 2 or 3 years might get fired or released from his job.

Also you are overplaying my opinion about coaches. I might not trust or even respect many coaches. That does not mean I will behave unprofessionally and not treat them with a lot of respect. I just know I will not rely on them to have my back or to necessarily be fair when the time presents itself. Also how many times do you know someone has a run in with a customer only to see them a couple of days later? I know that even for our HS playoffs, if a coach has been a jerk to us; it is very possible we will see them in the post season. So I am not getting how this is a business owner/customer relationship. And you can follow the money all you like and coaches also have hire ups they have to answer to as well.

Peace