The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 07, 2007, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Money Making Leagues

The OP by Armadillo_Blue got me thinking (trouble on the Horizon)

For those of you who assign or have assigned, there is that one league or 2 that is the "money maker" meaning much business thrown one's way.

Not only do you get the regular season games but Tournaments as well.

The question? How do you handle?

Let's take Armidillo's case. You arrive at the field and the President of the league (who is VERY good freinds with the coach who got tossed) and is also giving you many games comes up to you and questions one of your umpires.

I will use TEE as the assignor (if that's ok) The Pres comes up and says
"TEE what is going on with your umpires? Why does coach XXX have to leave the field. He also says "we have 2 BIG tournaments coming up" you know (He only says that as a trump card to get his way)

There are many other examples. The real crux of my OP is this Do you kiss you know what since a particular league is giving you a lot of business or do you back up blue no matter what league you are assigning.

Thoughts

Thanks

Pete Booth
Old Sat Jul 07, 2007, 09:14am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
The OP by Armadillo_Blue got me thinking (trouble on the Horizon)

For those of you who assign or have assigned, there is that one league or 2 that is the "money maker" meaning much business thrown one's way.

Not only do you get the regular season games but Tournaments as well.

The question? How do you handle?

Let's take Armidillo's case. You arrive at the field and the President of the league (who is VERY good freinds with the coach who got tossed) and is also giving you many games comes up to you and questions one of your umpires.

I will use TEE as the assignor (if that's ok) The Pres comes up and says
"TEE what is going on with your umpires? Why does coach XXX have to leave the field. He also says "we have 2 BIG tournaments coming up" you know (He only says that as a trump card to get his way)

There are many other examples. The real crux of my OP is this Do you kiss you know what since a particular league is giving you a lot of business or do you back up blue no matter what league you are assigning.

Thoughts

Thanks

Pete Booth
I assign a 44-team league. I work for the league, not the umpires (even though I also umpire in the league). This is one thing that many umpires will never understand -- the assignor doesn't work FOR the umpires, he works for the customer (who is the person writing the check).

Now, there are times when one must "fire the customer," but before a money-maker is fired, it's going to take a lot. And the umpires may never know about a lot of the back-dealings that go on, either.
Old Sat Jul 07, 2007, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Well,

Pete:

This is an interesting concept.

I am firmly behind Rich's answer. While an assiginor can support umpires he works for MAINLY the teams.

(We have it a little more cloudy in Oregon: assigners are paid both by the teams (or schools) AND by the umpires (10% of each game fee goes to the assignor) so it does get murky.)

We have such a strong commissioner (assignor) that he would not be held hostage by this type situation. The other question that is unasked: "Where would he get umpires from if he did not use your group?"

Regards,
Old Sat Jul 07, 2007, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Also to be asked, "From where would he get umpires if he doesn't support them?"

He can probably "survive" one incident as described in the OP, but if he continually sides with the coaches in disputes, then word will get around and he'll be short of umpires.
Old Sat Jul 07, 2007, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Our assignor is an employee of our association. He reports to the board not to AD's coaches, TD's or any league officials. If any of those folks have concerns regarding umpire conduct or policy, they contact the board through the president of the association.
Old Sat Jul 07, 2007, 02:56pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins

He can probably "survive" one incident as described in the OP, but if he continually sides with the coaches in disputes, then word will get around and he'll be short of umpires.
I try to side with nobody during disputes, but it does still cost me umpires, I suppose. It's a tough balancing act, especially in a land (like mine) where umpires don't belong to an association and can accept work from anyone, anywhere.
Old Sat Jul 07, 2007, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"From where would he get GOOD umpires if he doesn't support them?" might be a better question. The GOOD ones will want to know the assignor has their back in a situation like this.
Old Sat Jul 07, 2007, 10:47pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
The real crux of my OP is this Do you kiss you know what since a particular league is giving you a lot of business or do you back up blue no matter what league you are assigning.

Thoughts

Thanks

Pete Booth
If you have 200 umpires who need the work, almost to a one, you do what keeps the contract UNLESS the abuse becomes too much to take.
Old Sat Jul 07, 2007, 10:50pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:

Assuming they have this freedom to work wherever they want. I rarely see that being the case, unless you are willing to travel extensively and take a back seat in your new assn.
Old Sun Jul 08, 2007, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
Assuming they have this freedom to work wherever they want. I rarely see that being the case, unless you are willing to travel extensively and take a back seat in your new assn.
Whether you've seen it or not, it is the case in many (but not all, I agree) areas. An assignor's actions can also lead to umpires "retiring" and / or individuals not becoming umpires, thus leading to the same (or similar) shortage.

Assignors (and associations) have to balance the needs / wants / desires of the umpires against those of the leagues / coaches. I don't envy them.
Old Sun Jul 08, 2007, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Whether you've seen it or not, it is the case in many (but not all, I agree) areas. An assignor's actions can also lead to umpires "retiring" and / or individuals not becoming umpires, thus leading to the same (or similar) shortage.

Assignors (and associations) have to balance the needs / wants / desires of the umpires against those of the leagues / coaches. I don't envy them.
Let me ask you this, Bob. I know that in your area and many other metropolitan areas around the country there are competing associations for a limited number of contracts.

If an assignor isn't backing his umpires in one association, doesn't the ability of the competent officials tend to give these guys a good bit of leverage by having the option of working for another association that will back their group?

Tim.
Old Sun Jul 08, 2007, 10:07pm
In Time Out

Originally Posted by fitump56

Quote:

What I have not seen is that umpires can move from one association to another easily.