The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 11, 2005, 02:54am
Official Forum Member

How are most states handeling how the officials get paid? Do most officials get paid right at the site with a check in their name? What is the prefered method of officials getting paid? Would you rather get a check in the mail from the association that you are working for, say once per month, with association dues being taken out, or would you rather just show up to the game and have a check waiting for you in your name?
Old Fri Nov 11, 2005, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I don't think there is a method that "most states" use. Some associations collect all the game fees and distribute them to the members once or twice a season. Some areas, the schools give the officials a check directly on-site. Some areas, the schools pay the officials directly, but through the mail. Some schools pay cash on-site.
Old Fri Nov 11, 2005, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Talking

In most conferences here in Wisconsin, we get our checks from the Athletic Director or Game Supervisor prior to the game when we arrive at the game site and taken to the Official's Lockeroom.

Occasionally, if the school district's payroll schedule doesn't coincide with a particular game date, checks are sent and we generally get them within 2-5 days.

Old Fri Nov 11, 2005, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

I work in Washington State. We get paid at the end of the season with one check that comes from our local association.

Z
Old Fri Nov 11, 2005, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Here in Iowa it depends on where you work. Some pay on site and others send them in the mail. At least they all do end up paying...at least so far.
Old Fri Nov 11, 2005, 10:12am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by imaref
In most conferences here in Wisconsin, we get our checks from the Athletic Director or Game Supervisor prior to the game when we arrive at the game site and taken to the Official's Lockeroom.

Occasionally, if the school district's payroll schedule doesn't coincide with a particular game date, checks are sent and we generally get them within 2-5 days.

Dittos for my area.
Old Fri Nov 11, 2005, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

For us it depends on which conference we're working. Some pay right there, some you fill out a voucher and they pay later and some just pay later. How much later is also relative to the conference. Last year, I actually got a check in the mail about a week before the game but that was a mistake.
Old Fri Nov 11, 2005, 01:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

In Illinois is all over the place. Some schools have vouchers that need to be filled out. Some schools pay on the spot. Some schools pay on game day. Some send a check after the game. Some schools send the check months later. It all depends on what that school district is about and how it is run. There is entirely no "one size fits all" system.

Peace
Old Fri Nov 11, 2005, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ohioref3
What is the prefered method of officials getting paid?
One word....Cash.

In my area of Missouri it depends on the school district.

Some via check on site...some via check thru their business office (which depending on the date of the game cn be a month).
Old Fri Nov 11, 2005, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Texas:

Complete a voucher at the game. School send a check to the individuals address on the voucher.

Association JUST THIS YEAR established a fine if check not received within 45 days of the game. Usual time is three weeks - seems most schools run pay and expenses twice a month.
Old Sun Nov 13, 2005, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
I work in Washington State. We get paid at the end of the season with one check that comes from our local association.

Z
I work in northern VA and it is basically the same. I get a check for scholastic usually in May. I get rec ball checks a couple of times a year. My personal preference is to get paid at the end of the season -- usually use the check for vacation.
Old Sun Nov 13, 2005, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Portland, Oregon -- Games assigned during the season are paid by association about once a month.

Non-association games (basically everything else) varies, although it's usually at the game, or at the end of the tournament. Unless I'm the one paying, and then it's not entirely reliable.
Old Sun Nov 13, 2005, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

SW Ohio

High School - Varies...some give check on the spot. Most make us do the voucher where they ask for everything incl the size of our johnso...oh never mind...anyway, check comes typically two to twelve weeks later.
Old Sun Nov 13, 2005, 10:54pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Larks
SW Ohio

High School - Varies...some give check on the spot. Most make us do the voucher where they ask for everything incl the size of our johnso...oh never mind...anyway, check comes typically two to twelve weeks later.
As long as they don't pay you by the size of your johnson, you'll be OK.
Old Sun Nov 13, 2005, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by Larks
SW Ohio

As long as they don't pay you by the size of your johnson, you'll be OK.

Hey....I Resemble that remark!