Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 04, 2007, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
"We are taught that a good blue is an invisible blue."

Because I disagree with this basic statement I would not be a good person to answer your question.
You are not the only one who disagrees with such a blanket statement, Tee.

I often wonder who believes this statement when the thorny situation arises that requires the intervention of an umpire who otherwise was going "unnoticed." Sometimes it is our job to inject ourselves into the game in a manner in which everyone notices us. You get a big obstruction call, some weird interference, intentionally hit batters, etc. and you're center stage. While I doubt many of us want this, it's expected when it occurs, and when it does, I handle it professionally and without concern for what people think.
Old Wed Jul 04, 2007, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Invisible umpires should get paid with invisible money.
Old Wed Jul 04, 2007, 02:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25
While I doubt many of us want this, it's expected when it occurs, and when it does, I handle it professionally and without concern for what people think.
I am one of those that want the tough call or the tough situation. I also want to be in that situation at the proper time. In other words I prepare myself so that when that time comes I can be on top of the situation. Having said that as someone that works other sports, baseball is not a sport that really puts you in situations where you have much of a choice. Umpiring baseball is often like a roller coaster ride and the tracks take you where they are going despite where you want to go. If a pitcher throws a ball near or on the corner and the batter does not swing, I still will have to make a call. If the batter swings I am off the hook.

Peace
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Camoflage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmuelg
No, this has nothing to do with the famous ficitional British wizard, but everything to do with umpiring.

We are taught that a good blue is an invisible blue.

How far do you go to do that? I'm curious.

I'm asking this specifically, because there is an umpire here (Israel) whose calls I really like (his name is Yaniv). His "ball" and "strike" and "foul" and "time" all sound somewhat similar - he kind of grunts it and melts the word together, and you understand him because the word is a bit intelligible, and he uses hand signals. The advantage, I think, is that his personality is not imprinted on the game. Almost immediately, we ignore him, and pay attention to the ball, the runners, the players, in short, the game itself.

I, on the other hand, have been making very very clear calls. That is, "foul ball" sounds like "foul ball", "strike" like "strike", "ball" I rarely call at all (only ball four), but the point is that you can hear my voice, and right away you recognize that it is *me* making the call.

What do you guys think?

_________
ShmuelG
Israel
Our District UiC has an interesting illistration of the visibility question.

With a bang-bang play (say a tag at third base from an outfield throw), which umpire is less the focus of attention?
  • Bashful, who slowly makes a routine, unvocalized out call.
  • Assertive, who reacts to the play with a strong call of "Out!" and a hard bang with the fist
Bashful's problem is that the players, coaches and fans have to wait for the call, maybe struggle to hear/see it, and then question it. When Assertive makes his call, the fans barely have time to ask, "Was he safe?" before hearing the definitive call and moving on.

Sometimes the attention is on the umpire. Make the call authoritatively, let them know what happened, and they'll move on. If you seem to make the call tentatively, unclearly, or so quietly that people don't even know what happened, you will become the center of attention.

I think this goes even more strongly for the points others have made about game management. If you insert yourself decisively when problems are small, your intervention may be small. If you try to hide until the problems are big, then your visibility will be large.

For your exact question, I strongly believe that unclear or misunderstood signals will attract attention to the umpire. Be decisive and distinct and deliver the calls you are there to make, after all, and folks will concentrate on the game.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Shmuelg]No, this has nothing to do with the famous ficitional British wizard, but everything to do with umpiring.

How far do you go to do that? I'm curious.
That might have been an old saying because I too have heard the same thing, however, in today's baseball climate it is virtually impossible if you are doing your job.

The rules for the amateur game have made it "tougher" to be invisible. We have the FPSR, No malicious Contact rule OBS rule.

When I played we simply went by what the BIG BOYS did and it was accepted. The umpires didn't have to worry about all these safety violations. Also, the game policed itself back then. No riots etc. That's probably when the "invisible" saying came about because back then an Umpire could be "invisible". Today is very different.

Ever end a game on a FPSR violation?

If you have then you probably heard the following as well:

"that's the worst call I ever saw"
The runner has a right to break up a DP etc etc
That isn't baseball etc. etc.

In other words all of these safety type rules that have been derived to keep insurance costs down have also effected the game to the point that we couldn't be invisible if we wanted to.

Pete Booth
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Sportscenter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
That might have been an old saying because I too have heard the same thing, however, in today's baseball climate it is virtually impossible if you are doing your job.

The rules for the amateur game have made it "tougher" to be invisible. We have the FPSR, No malicious Contact rule OBS rule.

When I played we simply went by what the BIG BOYS did and it was accepted. The umpires didn't have to worry about all these safety violations. Also, the game policed itself back then. No riots etc. That's probably when the "invisible" saying came about because back then an Umpire could be "invisible". Today is very different.

Ever end a game on a FPSR violation?

If you have then you probably heard the following as well:

"that's the worst call I ever saw"
The runner has a right to break up a DP etc etc
That isn't baseball etc. etc.

In other words all of these safety type rules that have been derived to keep insurance costs down have also effected the game to the point that we couldn't be invisible if we wanted to.

Pete Booth
Oh, I don't know. MBL umpires can pull themselves into the center of attention even with their ruleset and conventions, say on a call of obstruction.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmuelg

I'm asking this specifically, because there is an umpire here (Israel)

ShmuelG
Israel
In the modern game, an invisible umpire would be about as successful as an invisible Israeli soldier on the West Bank.

Peter
Old Fri Jul 06, 2007, 07:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by His High Holiness
In the modern game, an invisible umpire would be about as successful as an invisible Israeli soldier on the West Bank.
Speceba, Tovarishch Stalin.
Old Fri Jul 06, 2007, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

I recently did a game partnered with the president of our association chapter and as the home team took the field he said "Lets be invisible". Funny that I hadn't heard anyone say that before but I thought it meant "let the players play the game". I believe umpires are there to manage the game and for two basic reasons. To ensure the rules are followed and to call the close plays where the teams won't agree on what happened. Truth is everyone knows a runner is out at first when the throw beats him by three or four steps, or a fly ball is cleanly caught by a fielder. All umpires have experienced plays so close they could go either way, but a call has to be made and sold. Do it and move on. Don't bait coaches or players or otherwise draw attention to yourself. There are always going to be disagreements because you do miss a call, or there is a perception by one team that you miss a call. Make your call and move on. If a coach wants to discuss a call, fine allow him to do it in a civil manner. If he can't be civil and crosses the line toss him. I agree it is impossible to be invisible but there is no need for showboating, and that is what I think being invisible means.