The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Catcher Bailing Out

I thought the following might make for some interesting discussion. It's an old incident report from an umpire in the association where I was once vice president. The names have been redacted to protect the innocent -- or guilty. What do y'all think?

"The following is to report the ejection of Head Coach ****** ******** on Wednesday, May 15, 1996 from the Junior Varsity baseball game between ******* and ***** ******* played at ******* Field.

In the first inning, *******’s catcher was bailing out any time a pitch hit the dirt. As the plate umpire, I was struck several times by pitches that should have been stopped. I asked the catcher to please stay down and not bail out.

In the second inning, again I took several shots that should have been stopped. I repeated a reminder to the catcher to please stay down. I also informed Head Coach ****** ******** that his catcher was leaving me vulnerable back there because he would jump up and out the way when a ball hit the dirt. Mr. ******** told me it was his catcher's first game behind the plate and that he would talk to his catcher and the issue would be resolved.

In the third inning, I again approached Mr. ******** after taking several more shots. I told him I was getting battered and bruised back there, and I asked him to do something about his catcher. He again said he would take care of the problem.

In the fourth inning, the same catcher came out. After taking a few more shots, I halted the game and informed Mr. ******** that I would not be used as a human backstop. I told him that he needed to change his catcher. I felt, at that point, my safety was in jeopardy, and the ******* coach had shown no regard for my well-being. I then went on with the game.

Between innings, Mr. ******** approached me at home plate. He began by telling me that he was going to speak and I was going to listen. He told me that I had no right to speak to him the way I did, and he told me that I did not have the authority to make him change his catcher. I told Mr. ******** that he would have to change his catcher or he would be ejected. After giving him the opportunity to resolve the issue in the second, third, and fourth innings, I would not tolerate being hit by anymore pitches because his inexperienced catcher was bailing out. I ordered the catcher’s removal as a safety precaution - my own safety - under Official Baseball Rule 9.01c.

Mr. ******** began to holler. He said I was, “nothing but a big whiner,” he told me, “that’s what we pay you for,” and I was told by others on the coaching staff to, “suck it up.” I allowed Mr. ******** the opportunity to let off steam. However, he persisted. He continued to yell loudly, he continued to demonstrate no self-control, and I eventually had little choice but to eject him.

After the ejection, he refused to leave the facility. He continued hollering and carrying on as he slowly gathered his things. Once he left the field, he made his way to the scorer’s booth. While I held up the game waiting for him to leave the facility, he continued to yell. He made his way back into the dugout, and in front of his whole team, he congratulated his catcher for having done his part to hurt me, and told the catcher to keep up the good work. After even more time elapsed, I informed his Assistant Coach that my only remedy if he didn’t leave was to forfeit the game. Only then did Mr. ******** leave the facility.

Once the game was over, I hadn’t yet even reached my car when Mr. ******** pulled up to me in the parking lot driving his red truck. As my back was turned trying to ignore him, he started in on me once more out of his driver’s window. I told him he had no business approaching me in the parking lot, and I repeatedly asked him to drive away. But he continued his arguments. I was stuck listening to him because I still had not taken off my equipment. I cannot drive wearing plate equipment, so I was forced to listen. We exchanged unpleasant words. He continued to persist until the jr. high head coach, who happened to be present, finally convinced him to drive away.

After umpiring in the ******* community for the past 5 years, this has been the first incident where I’ve felt a need to eject a coach. Not only was his disregard for my safety a problem, not only was his attitude poor, not only did he refuse to accept my authority, not only did he persist in carrying on in an inappropriate manner, but the comments he made to his players during the incident provided the poorest of examples.

I also want it to be known that I am no wimp. I work in all levels of baseball where I have taken shots from upwards of 85mph fastballs. I’ve been an umpire for 5 years. I know that getting hit by the ball comes with the territory. Requiring the removal of the catcher is not something I took lightly. It is only something I did because the catcher was too inexperienced for that level, after I had taken far too many preventable shots, and after truly feeling that my safety was in jeopardy. The time to teach a catcher how to catch is during practice, when no umpire is standing behind him. No umpire should be required to be a human backstop.

I ask that you consider disciplinary action against Mr. ******* so incidents of this nature are not repeated in the future. Refusing to immediately leave the facility when ejected, as well as approaching me after the game in the parking lot, are two serious violations that require your attention."
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Porter
I thought the following might make for some interesting discussion. It's an old incident report from an umpire in the association where I was once vice president. The names have been redacted to protect the innocent -- or guilty. What do y'all think?

I also want it to be known that I am no wimp. I work in all levels of baseball where I have taken shots from upwards of 85mph fastballs. I’ve been an umpire for 5 years. I know that getting hit by the ball comes with the territory. Requiring the removal of the catcher is not something I took lightly. It is only something I did because the catcher was too inexperienced for that level, after I had taken far too many preventable shots, and after truly feeling that my safety was in jeopardy. The time to teach a catcher how to catch is during practice, when no umpire is standing behind him. No umpire should be required to be a human backstop.

I ask that you consider disciplinary action against Mr. ******* so incidents of this nature are not repeated in the future. Refusing to immediately leave the facility when ejected, as well as approaching me after the game in the parking lot, are two serious violations that require your attention."
My first reaction is that you got to be kidding, but I know that you are not.

I've made the coach replace a catcher before in HS summer league game for the same reason. It was either change the catcher or I was going to call from behind F1.

But to go as far as ejection etc., that's simply unbelievable to me.

Thanks
David
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler
What does taking an 85 mph fastball have to do with his ejection report?
I thought it made it more entertaining.
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
I thought it made it more entertaining.
Jim,

I found it very entertaining with or without the 85mph. comment.

Hmmmm.....9.01(c) to remove a catcher...........priceless.

Tim.
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting situation and I imagine most of us have experienced. If I have a catcher who can't catch or block pitches I adjust my normal positioning to protect myself. I don't mind getting hit in the shin guards or chest protector or mask even but don't like getting hit in the arms, thighs, stomach or other exposed body parts.

So, given this situation I adjust to an unnatural position and call the game.

Side subject, but any manager who mentions money they pay to me to work the game is tossed. Mention money - gone. Add it to the list, personal, profane, prolonged, or money.
Old Wed Jun 20, 2007, 05:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to charliej47 Send a message via MSN to charliej47 Send a message via Yahoo to charliej47
I have had to stand behind F1 on several occasions where the manager could not find anyone who could not be a catcher.
Old Wed Jun 20, 2007, 06:37am
Official Forum Member

Very interesting report. My question, Jim, is did this umpire still get assigned games with the "big boys" or was he sent to do "kiddie ball" with a raft?
Old Wed Jun 20, 2007, 07:25am
Official Forum Member

A couple of years ago my partner said to a coach that he couldn't make the coach change catchers, but if his catcher continued not making any catch attempt on inside pitches and bailing on balls in the dirt, that this would be considered an act of unsportsmanlike conduct and further action would be taken regarding that conduct.
Old Wed Jun 20, 2007, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

Jim:

In our area ejection reports are limited to 25 words or less.

This report would have been returned un-read.

Regards,
Old Wed Jun 20, 2007, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

This is the part I'm confused with...
Quote:
"The following is to report the ejection of Head Coach ****** ******** on Wednesday, May 15, 1996 from the Junior Varsity baseball game between ******* and ***** ******* played at ******* Field.

I ordered the catcher’s removal as a safety precaution - my own safety - under Official Baseball Rule 9.01c.
A JV game being played under OBR?

When I get a catcher like this (which, thankfully, doesn't happen much anymore) I just bail with him and say ball each time I do. Soon, I'm mistakenly ballin' some boarderline pitches and letting F2 and skip know that if I could stay with that one it might be a strike. Self preservation is key!
Old Wed Jun 20, 2007, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
In our area ejection reports are limited to 25 words or less.

This report would have been returned un-read.

Regards,
Let's see If I can do it for the Original Poster:

Catcher sucked, I got hurt. Coach told to change F2's. He yelled at me. Coach ejected. He wouldn't leave promptly. Argued at my car, too.

(Only 25)
Old Wed Jun 20, 2007, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Unbelievable. Using 9.01c as justification for changing a player.

A simpler solution, tell the catcher and the coach that you are going to use the catchers chest protector strap (the one that goes down the middle of the back) as a handle and you are going to use the catcher as a human shield.

I've told a couple of young catchers and coaches this, I gotten a deer in the headlights look from catchers, however, the coach gets the point pretty quick and things change.

I've never had to use the shield yet, however it gets the point across with a little bit of subtleness.
Old Wed Jun 20, 2007, 08:30am
BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawump
Let's see If I can do it for the Original Poster:

Catcher sucked, I got hurt. Coach told to change F2's. He yelled at me. Coach ejected. He wouldn't leave promptly. Argued at my car, too.

(Only 25)
Very good!
Old Wed Jun 20, 2007, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]
Quote:
I agree with TEE no thesis on ejection reports.

Most posters seem to be commenting on the use of 9.01(c) I am assuming that this game was played in Massechusets where FED rules are not used otherwise the FED equivalent of 9.01(c) would have been referenced.

I will comment on the following:

Quote:
After the ejection, he refused to leave the facility. He continued hollering and carrying on as he slowly gathered his things. Once he left the field, he made his way to the scorer’s booth. While I held up the game waiting for him to leave the facility, he continued to yell. He made his way back into the dugout, and in front of his whole team, he congratulated his catcher for having done his part to hurt me, and told the catcher to keep up the good work.

Once the game was over, I hadn’t yet even reached my car when Mr. ******** pulled up to me in the parking lot driving his red truck. As my back was turned trying to ignore him, he started in on me once more out of his driver’s window. I told him he had no business approaching me in the parking lot, and I repeatedly asked him to drive away. But he continued his arguments.
Most HS coaches are teachers. Therefore, my question would be

Would you as a parent want this individual teaching your kid?

Even if you think that the actions of the umpire were inappropriate for using 9.01(c) how about a teacher who first and foremost should be buliding character in his/her students is acting this way.

Why follow the umpire to the car and "keep going"

IMO, suspensions for HS Coaches (teachers) should be stiffer. One way to "cool down" these HS Coaches is to have "tenure" involved meaning if a HS Coach acts ballistic perhaps the way to really "hurt" them is in the pocketbook meaning use the tenure card as a means to keep them in line.

Jim what was the final result of this umpires report and did the coach serve any suspension?

Pete Booth
Old Wed Jun 20, 2007, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

A JV game being played under OBR?

Probably played in Massachusetts.