The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 20, 2007, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Wink

Had a coach that was a good friend of mine show up short of players; both catchers had HS games and had to miss this Babe Ruth game. So, he put his son in to catch. He did pretty well, except when the batter swung. He would turn his head and take a stab at the ball, but would miss on most occassions. I suffered through and we both finished the game intact; however, I told his dad after the game (jokingly) that if I ever saw his son even touch the catcher's gear that I would eject them both just on pure principle!

Sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do. This umpire completely mis-managed this issue.

However, mis-managed or not, the coach's behaviour is totally unacceptable, especially the post-game conduct, and should be reported.

S
Old Wed Jun 20, 2007, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Hmmm,

I have never, EVER, considered ejecting a player or forcing a position move because of ability.

Never will.

It is part of game.

Regards,
Old Wed Jun 20, 2007, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
I have never, EVER, considered ejecting a player or forcing a position move because of ability.

Never will.

It is part of game.

Regards,
I wouldn't, either. Please note that I was joking with the kid's dad...all in fun! And, I did say that the umpire mis-managed this issue. And, by saying that you gotta do what you gotta do meant that sometimes you either take the beating or find a way to make it less painful.

Sheesh...

It's no fun if you have to explain it....

:-)
Old Wed Jun 20, 2007, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Agreed Tim. I had a varsity pitcher throwing to a freshman catcher (first time catching due to lack of bodies, kids were taking tests or something) who let almost everything get by, mostly hitting the backstop, some hitting me. As soon as the varsity catcher arrived the coach took the freshman out, with apologies to me.

The coach was satisfied letting all those balls go past the catcher?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Wed Jun 20, 2007, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Hmm,

Striker, my bad I WAS NOT referring to your post. Just the general atmosphere of the thread.

Again, sorry.

Regards,
Old Wed Jun 20, 2007, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
If I'm in Jim's position. All those times he was getting hit, I would have just jumped with the catcher. This way, ball goes to the screen everytime. And automatic ball.

Most pitchers will realize why these are balls, and most coaches as well. If they come out between innings to mention anything tell them "Catcher is taking away strikes".

If he don't take him out, well, its gonna be a long day, but one where my forearms, hands, etc., and integrity, are in tact.
Old Wed Jun 20, 2007, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives
A JV game being played under OBR?

Probably played in Massachusetts.
Nope. Rhode Island. Same thing, though -- high school ball is played under modified OBR.
Old Wed Jun 20, 2007, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
Jim what was the final result of this umpires report and did the coach serve any suspension?

Pete Booth
The coach was suspended for one game. He was not hired by that school the following year -- he was a bit of a jerk.

The assignor avoided as best she could giving this umpire anything above freshman ball. He quit umpiring within two years.
Old Wed Jun 20, 2007, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
In our area ejection reports are limited to 25 words or less.

This report would have been returned un-read.

Regards,
We were lucky to get ANY ejection reports from our umpires, even though we required them.
Old Wed Jun 20, 2007, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Porter
The coach was suspended for one game. He was not hired by that school the following year -- he was a bit of a jerk.

The assignor avoided as best she could giving this umpire anything above freshman ball. He quit umpiring within two years.
Sounds like a good solution all-around.
Old Thu Jun 21, 2007, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
Agreed Tim. I had a varsity pitcher throwing to a freshman catcher (first time catching due to lack of bodies, kids were taking tests or something) who let almost everything get by, mostly hitting the backstop, some hitting me. As soon as the varsity catcher arrived the coach took the freshman out, with apologies to me.

The coach was satisfied letting all those balls go past the catcher?
same thing happened here except i got hit in the side of the head, i guess it was part my fault in that maybe i turned my head(dont ask why)...I still have a knot and I have decided to use a HSM for the bigger guys(14+)
Old Thu Jun 28, 2007, 03:59am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Porter
We were lucky to get ANY ejection reports from our umpires, even though we required them.
Not uncommon. You call ball, many times late into the night, you get home later, get up and go to work. An ejection report takes time.
Old Thu Jun 28, 2007, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Personally, I do *not* like requiring the coach to change catchers.

Nor the threat to use the catcher's strap as a handle.

But I *do* like bailing with each passed ball, and calling it a ball. Appropriate "penalty".

And umping from behind F1 is a good idea as well.

Shmuel
Old Fri Jun 29, 2007, 01:58am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmuelg
Personally, I do *not* like requiring the coach to change catchers.

Nor the threat to use the catcher's strap as a handle.

But I *do* like bailing with each passed ball, and calling it a ball. Appropriate "penalty".

And umping from behind F1 is a good idea as well.

Shmuel
Had a partner who called one team's pitches from the backstop, the other from the plate after a "plunk the ump" attempt. He threw no one out but it was fun watching him say "Looks like a ball" after every pitch not swung at.
Old Sun Jul 01, 2007, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
Not uncommon. You call ball, many times late into the night, you get home later, get up and go to work. An ejection report takes time.

If it's required, you make the time, not excuses.